GT6 Dampers

Hi learned ones, My GT6 has an advisory on the rear dampers, so I probably need to replace them. Since its a rotoflex  car, the rear dampers are made of unobtanium, and there seems to be less chance of getting them than hens teeth. Does anyone know of a sectret source? They are Unipart GSA280, Monroe R1543 or similar. There's a company called TRODO who list them, and there's also carpartsonline and autodoc, but I think they are all German, and have some questionable reviews.

The Unipart number drew a blank but these came up in a search for the Monroes:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Monroe-Original-Rear-Shock-Absorbers-Pair-R1543/390973781774

The seller lists them as suitable for all Heralds, Vitesse Spitfire and two models of GT6 1972 - 1973 which seems strange to me if the rotoflex versions differ from the non-roto. Rimmers list both Spax and GAZ versions of the GSA280 but does this require the bracket conversion?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spax-Adjustable-Rear-Shock-Absorber-Triumph-GT6-Mk2-Mk3-Rotoflex-68-70/311987463504?hash=item48a3e6e550:g:muMAAOSwETJZ74ka

The club sells the full conversion kit including brackets and shocks:

https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/gazrotoconvk-rotoflex-rear-shock-conversion

Unless things have changed (I hope so) the club is supplying SPitfire shocks with the bracket. Which bottom out.... Gaz shortened a set bought by a friend for his car.

A search of this forum should turn up details of a beetle shock that is a good match for teh proper rotoflex one. Think it needs new bushes but that us simple enough. It may be the 1303.....

Thanks for those replies.     Colin - The first one  on eBay is no longer available - listed, but quantity available 0 ?? - this seems to be the case generally. I must admit there are adjustable Gaz Spax and Konis, but they are very expensive, and I really don't need adjustable anyway. Same for the conversion. What I really don't understand is why this particular type should be so difficult, especially since it's used by VWs and others as well. It's making me a little bit cross! TRODO list them, but do I trust them?

1 hour ago, Doctor slow said:

Thanks for those replies.     Colin - The first one  on eBay is no longer available - listed, but quantity available 0 ?? 

Goshdurnit that was quick!! Shows how popular they are.... :)

If the VW Beetle part is a fit can someone list the details in the 'Interchangeable Parts' section, for info of future enquirers? 

GT6 rotoflex continued until February 73 when the car became non-rotoflex which is why they’re saying 72 and 73. However, you’re correct roto and non-roto shocks are different. 

Monroe were taken over and their shocks now have a poor reputation. I would go for the club shop offering.

Doug

17 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

GT6 rotoflex continued until February 73 when the car became non-rotoflex which is why they’re saying 72 and 73. However, you’re correct roto and non-roto shocks are different. 

Monroe were taken over and their shocks now have a poor reputation. I would go for the club shop offering.

Doug

I'm going by Dr Slow's original post and the Monroe part number he provided for his rotoflex car, Doug; what I meant was that as the listed vehicles under that part number on this listing are all non-rotoflex, they can't fit both types. They should however fit GT6 from 1967 - 1968 and 1973s fixed and swing spring, (you might be able to claim the very first swing-spring models if they were built in 1972) so either the part number supplied in the first post is wrong, or the listing. Sorry for the confusion.

All the usual suppliers including the Club Shop can offer Gaz adjustables that are the correct length for a Rotoflex GT6. I bought done from the Club about 2 years ago.

If you want standard, non-adjustable shocks, I would expect some of the major parts suppliers can help, Fitchetts or Canley most likely.

Nigel

Nigel ...... Nope - tried them - all of the main suppliers. 

Spitbits are $50 each plus shipping, so I would probably just as well buy adjustables.

I just resent paying the prices for adjustables or conversions when I don't want or need that. TRODO, a company i've never heard of, can supply them for £21 each (plus shipping of about £12).Are they Chinese junk? Who knows. Do I buy them?.....................  who knows. (I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!)

I have Konis for mine, but can't report on performance as it's still in bits.  However I have Konis on my other classics, and they are definitely the best.

It's worth mentioning that yes, they are adjustable - but not like the others (Spax, Gaz etc.). The adjustability on Konis is purely to allow for a drop off in performance as they get older.  They have to be taken off the car to adjust.  I've never had to replace a set, they last forever.

Roger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger K said:

I have Konis for mine, but can't report on performance as it's still in bits.  However I have Konis on my other classics, and they are definitely the best.

It's worth mentioning that yes, they are adjustable - but not like the others (Spax, Gaz etc.). The adjustability on Konis is purely to allow for a drop off in performance as they get older.  They have to be taken off the car to adjust.  I've never had to replace a set, they last forever.

Roger

Roger, Konis make the others appear very "ordinary"

Mine are now 26 years old... still no adjustments required after my initial experiments all those years ago. And yes, they have been off and checked a few times.

• Like 1

for rot  cars,

i got a decent set of avo adjustables if yer intrested

also got a set of spaxs too, adjustables

note, both will require lowest settings, this is about standard setting on a non adjust type

Well, I'm grateful for all the replies. It just seems crazy that I would have to pay £100-£200 for adjustable dampers, when the original (or at least compatible) type, Monroe R1543 is available for £21.22 each. If they were good enough for Triumph, they should be good enough for me, right?. BUT (!) I can only find them from a company called TRODO, and I am a little bit wary since they are an on-line company  based in Germany but with a co.uk website. Autodoc and onlinecarparts are similar companies. I have become more and more aware of scammers  nowadays. Anyway, before I decide, I have decided to take off the damper and inspect it. there is some "oily deosit" on the barrel of the damper (hence the MOT advisory) , but I'm not convinced that it came from a leak. In the past my diff has leaked very badly, and it is possible that this is oil sprayed onto the damper. Meanwhile, I'll do some more research while I wait for the weather to get a bit warmer. (By the way, for Nigel, Fitchetts was the first company I tried -they didn't have them). Thanks again 

1 hour ago, Doctor slow said:

Well, I'm grateful for all the replies. It just seems crazy that I would have to pay £100-£200 for adjustable dampers, when the original (or at least compatible) type, Monroe R1543 is available for £21.22 each. 

Are you definitely sure about the part number? My post above (which confused Doug) says that I've read listings for this part number which states that it fits ALL Heralds, Vitesse, Spitfire and GT6 (on the two year dates given) - which are all NON-rotoflex. As I said, it can't fit both - not non-roto and roto cars, and be suitable for both, unless possibly it's the rotoflex bracket conversion, but they won't be suitable for an unconverted rotoflex GT6 as a straight fit.

Well I started with Unipart GSA280 and cross referenced that..........although i'm beginning to wonder even where I got that from!  - Not really, that was from the Rimmer diagram for rotoflex.

Really I'll have to take it off, check that it really needs replacing, then move on from there.