Mk2 Engine Rebuild going into a Mk1 GT6 by a novice!

AidanT

3 hours ago, AidanT said:

Yet another Novice question!

I notice that my cylinders have been lined / Sleeved.  Does this infer that the engine had a hard life prior to my ownership? 

Aidan

Are you sure they are sleeved? It’s not common. The marks left by the head gasket fire-rings can be very misleading.

Nick

1 hour ago, AidanT said:

All the bearings have been replaced, possibly needn't have been done but least I know it's all good now. I don't know the engines history so it's a new start for it

What's the crank thrust endfloat?

its the rear bearing has semi circular thrush washers fitted to control minimal front to rear float of the crank

and takes the thrust when you operate the clutch 

old engines can wear badly  i would expect the M/c shop to get this right  

figures in the book 

Pete

With the crank assembled in the block, stick a dial gauge on the nose of the crank and lever it back and forth along its long axis, taking readings off the dial gauge.  As Pete says, the figures are in the book.  If it moves further than spec, you should be able to get some oversize thrust bearings (the half-circle ones mentioned above) to bring it back into spec.  Triumph 6 cyls are known for the block wearing where these bearings sit, a very difficult repair.  Correct me if I'm wrong - not worked on one of these for several years, so repair situation may have changed.

When buying a car with this engine fitted, the first thing I used to do was get the owner to idle the motor and press the clutch in and out.  If I could see the crank pulley moving, alarm bells rang...

If no dial gauge it can be done with feeler gauges, but not so accurate.

• Like 1

0.006-0.014” is the book figure, I think. Did you use a dial gauge, and lean hard on a big screwdriver in both directions?  It sounds fine, but won’t have shrunk. If it’s really 0.006” rather than 0.005” I’d leave well alone. 

I'm not going to worry!  Lots to do but going to run out of time before the builders move in!  Current garage being converted New double being built  All going in to storage for 12 weeks 

What Fun!