Mk2 Engine Rebuild going into a Mk1 GT6 by a novice!

AidanT

If you take a gander @ the Mk2 Schematic on Canleys

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?diagram=triumph-gt6-mki/ii-mkii-engine&ptno=217488

you can see the part No:44 part number 214842  

Also shown in my parts catalog PLATE R

This also shows the filter inset item 45 PN: 149621

So i think its the correct part for the engine

Aidan

1 hour ago, AidanT said:

So

OIL PUMP

Firstly, there's no mesh or filter inside the uptake tube. Is it necessary??

Second see the pic... does this look right with the edges taken off on the outer? 

The gap seems fine @ .0035 between the inner and outer 

Let me know  😀

Believe theres two design for the mesh - it can either be fitted round the end of the intake or, as should be in your case, is a grill fitted across the entire sump with a hole for the intake tube to poke through.

1 minute ago, johny said:

Believe theres two design for the mesh - it can either be fitted round the end of the intake or, as should be in your case, is a grill fitted across the entire sump with a hole for the intake tube to poke through.

Afraid there's no Mesh in the sump!  Have a look at the part 45 noted above

Aidan

Looks like your oil pump is for a KC/KD engine, if it has that style of pick up.  Much clearer image here:

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-gt6-mkiii&diagram=triumph-gt6-mkiii-oil-pump

The parts suppliers seem to list only one pump, with a hemispherical filter basket, for all 6 cylinders now including TR6 etc.

17 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

think i mentioned much earlier i have never seen that design of pump pick up as you engine has 

its from else where or some modification but the rectangular pick up is to me very unusual 

maybe some has a clue  about it 

Pete

Mine was the same when I bought my GT6 Mk1, a rectangular pick up pipe, the engine was 2000 saloon MB-prefix and the original long gone but it could have come from either. I bought a new pump with the strainer assembly. If it worries you - don't; you can always buy a replacement to 'puck' yourself up...

159398457_ScreenShot2020-04-13at18_05_15.jpg.931f0471fbba44b63bdec862e9f09f85.jpg

6 hours ago, johny said:

Brilliant, now just got to hope the pump endfloat is within tolerance😳

Luckily that is the easiest bit to cure if it isn't. Just rub down the pump body on wet and dry paper on a perfectly flat surface, as per the instructions in the link I posted.  One of the most satisfying little jobs and which gives good results for so little effort.

On 18/12/2020 at 09:29, Nigel Clark said:

One more suggestion... Practical Classics magazine is running a seven part series on the complete strip down and rebuild of a Spitfire engine at TRGB. It covers pretty much every step of overhauling a small Triumph engine with colour photos (unlike a Haynes manual), and words explaining each step. Part 5 is out now in the January issue, no doubt the earlier parts can still be purchased as back numbers. I have to admit a connection, as I photographed and wrote this series for Practical Classics!

Anyone know where I can get hold of Sep to Jan issues?

23 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Strongly advise against putting any personal or card details on the Great Magazines site. It is not secure. Wife had her debit card cloned after using their site a couple of weeks ago. They are aware of the problem.

Nick

I PayPal'd it. My account needs dual authorisation.

I'm sure it could be cracked but there's easier pickings so pretty sure they won't bother with me. Plus can always recover through PayPal 

Plus the fact I used pocket Mags in the end ✔️

Well Father Christmas was very kind 😂 I now have a makita 400Nm  battery rattle wrench!

Bolt out but to next problem. I assume the timing cover should be all bolts but.. please refer to the pic. Any ideas how to move these? The slots aren't great and they are about 15mm across, my biggest screw driver won't touch them

And next, on the second picture is this a seal on the back, and does it need replacement?

20201226_105119.jpg

20201226_112230.jpg

They are correct.

You need  bigger screwdriver! And ideally a hammer-through type, so screwdriver in slot, a couple of hefty taps with a hammer, and they will undo.

EDIT wickes sell a 10mm slotted screwdriver for £4, but not hammer-through. But you could do the hitting via a socket extension or drift etc

you need a proper wooden handled screwdriver or a blade attachment for your ratchet wrench

are the other two allen key socket cap bolts ??

thats the harmonic damper ring bonding

the damper ring is showing signs of age , John D has a rig to test these  its quite common but if the bond between the hub and outer ring is sound its all ok 

the only problem you may get is if the bond breaks down the timing ring will rotate and the timing  is impossible to set   some of us have that Tee shirt