Bossless engine block in Vitesse?

Roger

Hi All,

I have the possibility to buy an early Mk I saloon engine to use in my Vitesse Mk I. However, it is an early "small crank bossless" engine which will not fit directly in my Vitesse (engine mounts). But it seems possible to make an adapter to replace the "missing boss" with some welding (given that the threads in the bossless block are in the same position as the threads on "the boss block"?). But if the engine mount threads on a bossless block are in a different position (difference front-back/up-down) then I guess it will be very difficult to make an adapter. Do anyone here know if a bossless block has the threads for the engine mounts in the same position as a Vitesse block (but closer to the block of course). It's a bit difficult to explain, I hope you understand what I'm talking about...

Roger

I agree John, they are not so difficult to find in the UK. As Johny mention, the problem is the postage sending it to The Aaland Island. I don't know how much it would cost, but probably a fortune. Buying an old engine is also a bit of a lottery. If I have bad luck then the engine can be frozen with tiny cracks not visible but big enough to make the block leak. It would be frustrating to pay a fortune get the engine transported to this remote island, and then later on find out that it can't be used once I have it here. Crack test is a must before I would buy something heavy from the UK!

The bosses are certainly there on later saloon engines - probably from some time during 1600 Vitesse production - because of commonization of castings. The very early 2L engine from the Vanguard Six didn't have them. I would have thought, given the Vitesse and the Mk1 2000 were launched pretty close together, that all 2000 saloons had the bosses cast but maybe not drilled.