Spark Plug Cleaner

Nigel Clark

I think setting fire to your overalls is optional Pete...... I prefer not to.

Aim is to heat the electrodes and insulator to the point where the deposits burn away and residue brushed away.

Nick

Edit: If you have an NGK plug that has stopped working after a petrol soaking (flooding), this probably won’t help. I’ve not found anything that recovers them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I think setting fire to your overalls is optional Pete...... I prefer not to.

Aim is to heat the electrodes and insulator to the point where the deposits burn away and residue brushed away.

Nick

Edit: If you have an NGK plug that has stopped working after a petrol soaking (flooding), this probably won’t help. I’ve not found anything that recovers them.

I wear Nomex overalls, solves that problem.

The guys at work tend to throw them away when they get dirty, so I stand in the way.

🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I’ve not found anything that recovers them.

back to the lack of glaze on the centre isolator 

fings aint wot they used to be    

and...........if pumping an old paraffin  lamp would probably add more soot till its up to temperature 

or you get a flame thrower and do set the overalls and half the garage on fire 

Pete

On 25/12/2020 at 16:34, Pete Lewis said:

back to the lack of glaze on the centre isolator 

fings aint wot they used to be    

and...........if pumping an old paraffin  lamp would probably add more soot till its up to temperature 

or you get a flame thrower and do set the overalls and half the garage on fire 

Pete

Never done Cast Iron brazing with a Blowlamp?. It`s a very "interesting" exercise, Involving several Firebricks lots of Flux Powder. And the biggest blowlamp ever built?. The end result remained intact until the replacement was finally airlifted to us 3 weeks later.👍

Pete

remember as apprentice we needed a new head on the lead mallet, so off to the body line nick some lead sticks, get the blowtorch aimed at a old tin can and melt lead into the tin  looking at plunging the handle in when all hell broke loose , 

we had cooked the lead and the training school was engulfed half way down from the ceiling with thick green smog we were unaware 

the drawing office above us had to be evacuated 

we all got a right rollocking 

so blow torches  for braizing have a soft spot in the learning curve 

Pete