Vitesse convertible conversion.

Mark Evans

you need to replace or extend the saloon rear deck panel as the convertible hood is shorter than a saloon tin top

then theres the capping for the top of the screen apperture  and the door hasp  an staples to stop them flying open 

find the hood stowage partition and replace the rear seating 

then comes the problems of seat belts 

edit  add door glass 

pete

I looked into this in the 80`s, for a Vittese. Even had an offer of a Herald C-V genuine rear tub to use (front end write off). But the cost was not really worthwhile IMV, by the time you have sourced all the parts and a new Hood. AND you have to remember, It will never sell on as a Genuine C-V.

Pete

32 minutes ago, PeteH said:

I looked into this in the 80`s, for a Vittese. Even had an offer of a Herald C-V genuine rear tub to use (front end write off). But the cost was not really worthwhile IMV, by the time you have sourced all the parts and a new Hood. AND you have to remember, It will never sell on as a Genuine C-V.

Pete

If I remember correctly there was one for sale on eBay some months back to which I linked here in the forum.

"Very few genuine convertibles survive. The majority of those for sale today are conversions." Guess which he was selling...

I did the conversion using an early full Australian Herald convertible 1960 CKD rear tub, which had no rust onto a 68 Mk2 Vitesse body, had issues with some bracketery besides the Mk2 handbrake guides (rotaflex) and cables. the earlier rear tub appeared to have some extra brackets maybe from the earlier Herald type chassis, I did have to file out the slotted convertible to chassis upper diff leg mounts over the axle by about 1/8in to get the bolts to align and ensure adequate door gaps don't know if that was due to my early vs late chassis configuration.

One advantage of the Herald/Vitesse modular construction is its meccano like ability to switch between saloon, conv and estate.