Water pump housing?

Kevin Osborn

Evening guys, although I first joined the TSSC in 1999 and browse the forum frequently, this is my first post and I’m hoping someone can help me with what is probably an easy answer.

I need to replace the water pump housing on my Spitfire Mk 2 1147 engine as it has the early type with only a single tapping whereas I want to fit the later housing with 2 tappings for both the temperature transmitter and the adapter for the heater hose - I’m currently not heating the inlet manifold!

The part for my Spitfire is listed as no. 144297 or 144297A for the alloy version however I have in my possession part no. 307095 which I believe is the housing for the Vitesse, GT6, TR5/250/6 etc. The question (before I drain the cooling system and dismantle the pump and housing) is will this fit/work OK on the Spit? It appears the right size although the tappings are on opposite sides as opposed to both on the same side for the Spit version.

Many thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Kevin Osborn said:

The part for my Spitfire is listed as no. 144297 or 144297A for the alloy version however I have in my possession part no. 307095 which I believe is the housing for the Vitesse, GT6, TR5/250/6 etc. The question (before I drain the cooling system and dismantle the pump and housing) is will this fit/work OK on the Spit?

No, unfortunately the bit that attaches to the head is quite different. It shouldn't be too hard to find a four cylinder housing as it's common to the Dolomite 1300/1500. In fact I have one lying around (but they're expensive to post so hopefully you can find one a bit closer).