Reverse lights on Renault Master

mark powell

45 minutes ago, mark powell said:

I reverse park on our driveway and now that I often return after dark, I find that the reverse lights are next to useless...  Would super bright (not for road use) LEDs be the answer?  The existing bulbs are standard 12v 21w 382. 

They would be the answer Mark more so if there is no other light. My modern has led lights and i live rural, what a difference they make. I don't have any problems now.  https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk These are the best to buy from.

Tony.   

Thanks for all your replies. Lenses and reflectors are ok, it's just that I have to reverse into a really awkward space with light pollution from a neighbours security light.  I have spoken to classic car leds and at their advice have ordered a pair of extra bright led's.   I will let you know the result.

19 hours ago, mark powell said:

I reverse park on our driveway and now that I often return after dark, I find that the reverse lights are next to useless...  Would super bright (not for road use) LEDs be the answer?  The existing bulbs are standard 12v 21w 382. 

Can you fit a couple of rear-roof mounted spots? Just plug in to the 12v power supply on the dash when needed. Also helps with loading / unloading in the dark too.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Can you fit a couple of rear-roof mounted spots? Just plug in to the 12v power supply on the dash when needed. Also helps with loading / unloading in the dark too.

I was just thinking the same Colin as a Yodel van has just been and that had two small led spots one on each corner of the roof.

Tony. 

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Originally I fitted kitchen filament down lighters into the clusters on my TR4A.

I then changed them to LED ad they give out plenty of light.

Roger

P1030748a.jpg

Can I ask how you sealed them? as the one`s I have (in a Motorhome) are are not i-p rated at all?. Something along those lines would fit under the "fin" on the rear of a Herald.

Pete

10 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Like the TR4 on a herald/vitesse thats the reflector   a legal requirement 

Yes, I stand corrected, By the time you cut a hole in it there would be no "reflector" left!. Sadly, unlike the TR4, where there appears to have most of it "surviving". I was more concerned with how water ingress had been prevented.

37 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Can I ask how you sealed them? as the one`s I have (in a Motorhome) are are not i-p rated at all?. 

Pete

They have a thin film of silcone sealant where the bulb fits to the red reflector.. The inner face of the reflector has been machined to remove the dimples to allow the bulb to sit flat. The metal ring is is a simple bezel that I spun up on the lathe.

20 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Like the TR4 on a herald/vitesse that's the reflector   a legal requirement 

The requirement is for 30 or 50% (can;t remember which) to be functional.  The lights on the TR4A  (MR11 size) take up a lot less than that requirement.

Roger

5 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Yes, I stand corrected, By the time you cut a hole in it there would be no "reflector" left!. Sadly, unlike the TR4, where there appears to have most of it "surviving". I was more concerned with how water ingress had been prevented.

You need to measure the reflector and find a bulb to suit.  work on 50%

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment

Roger

• Like 1

Neat looking job👍, anyhow.  I suspect in the Herald, by the time you find a suitable (legal) size of high intensity light fitting. It will be of limited use as a reversing light?. So, I reckon, stick to the "old" way of attaching one to the rear vallance?.

8 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

there used to be some rule about 21watt was max rearward bulb spec.

on the boot lid  i just used a pair of lucas flush mounts 

gbd.jpg

Modern LED look alikes would probably be available?. eg; https://www.wish.com/product/5def4955f354030405d39bd7?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=GB&_force_currency_code=GBP&pid=googleadwords_int&c={campaignId}&ad_cid=5def4955f354030405d39bd7&ad_cc=GB&ad_curr=GBP&ad_price=27.00&campaign_id=6493229882&exclude_install=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6fOyjfXW7QIViLPtCh3yRAQkEAQYAiABEgKU7fD_BwE&share=web

Or similar?. prehaps with a chrome finish?

Pete

A couple of 21W LED bulbs would be rather bright! 

If the new "extra bright" you have coming are not enough you should be able to get a pair of small driving lamps or better worklights with 20W LEDS fitted. A 10W led floodlight illuminates my garden pretty well... 

• Like 1

To be fair, I seriously doubt that in my case the car will ever be used at night except maybe coming back from the Pub "Classic Night" late. (Obviously having not imbibed, of course)😇. And at the (current) rate of progress, that could be some years away!.

But, of course a BIG Bright light to the rear is an indication to others that you are intending to reverse even in full daylight, and with to-days quality of driving cannot be any bad thing!.

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

But, of course a BIG Bright light to the rear is an indication to others that you are intending to reverse even in full daylight, and with to-days quality of driving cannot be any bad thing!.

Pete

And if the car behind you refuses to dip his headlights, you can flick a switch and blind him back....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mark powell said:

LED's arrived this morning (1st class service by Classic Car LED's!). Fitted and the difference, even in daylight, is substantial.  I'll be checking them out after dark...    Tempting now to replace all the rear bulbs with LED's.

They do make one hell of a difference Mark, i didn't realise how much until i got my car. :) 

Tony.