Triumph Spitfire Hydraulic Boot Lift Kit

hardhatharry

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Why has the load on the brackets changed..... ? The boot lid still weighs the same

Hello Nick

Its when you push the lid down you are pushing 200n(45Lbs)

Which is 2 to 3 times the weigh

Roger

ps I may splash out and buy a weaker one(just enough to hold the lid up)

On 24/12/2020 at 21:59, Graham C said:

Sorry gas struts for boot lids. Have our owners grown weak in limb?

What is wrong with with the original set up?

As for the bonnet, you brought the car with the original bonnet set up, did you not lift the bonnet when you brought it?

If you want an easier boot and bonnet to lift, buy a Reliant Robin.

Sorry for the rant but really this was how the car were designed.

Graham

Boot:

1. Because, in a world full of gas struts on other boot lids, there a finite number of times you can bump the standard boot lid with a bag/elbow/shoulder while loading the boot and have the boot lid crack you on the back of the head.

Bonnet:

1. Because I've broken down on the motorway and, to put it mildly, the standard support gives zero confidence of keeping the bonnet attached to the car, let alone upright when an HGV passes you at 56MPH.
  2. Because you can open it single handed without worrying about the twisting you get when just supported at the hinges.

1 hour ago, Mjit said:

Boot:

1. Because, in a world full of gas struts on other boot lids, there a finite number of times you can bump the standard boot lid with a bag/elbow/shoulder while loading the boot and have the boot lid crack you on the back of the head.

How does a gas strut help with that? Boot lid is no higher, is it? 

1 hour ago, Mjit said:

Bonnet:

1. Because I've broken down on the motorway and, to put it mildly, the standard support gives zero confidence of keeping the bonnet attached to the car, let alone upright when an HGV passes you at 56MPH.
  2. Because you can open it single handed without worrying about the twisting you get when just supported at the hinges.

1 hasn't happened to me - I don't go on the motorway.

2. That is my thoughts, but I am having second thoughts regarding the standing stresses on the bonnet and hinge.

1 hour ago, Mjit said:

Because I've broken down on the motorway and, to put it mildly, the standard support gives zero confidence of keeping the bonnet attached to the car, let alone upright when an HGV passes you at 56MPH.

Can't say I've had that problem. Sure the bonnet rattles in gusts of wind (and would with the gas struts, too) but I'm pretty confident that gravity works just the same on a motorway, so the support will still drop into the locked position when the bonnet stops rattling.

1 hour ago, Mjit said:

Because you can open it single handed without worrying about the twisting you get when just supported at the hinges.

I'm not convinced. The struts are positioned so as to provide maximum lift when open, because of the scenario above. They provide almost no assistance when fully closed, which is the only point at which I ever struggle with lifting the bonnet (past the bulkhead buffers).

Roger, you are correct it is your car and it would not bother me what you have done.

I just find it amusing people are introducing gas strut to lift bonnets and boots, just my opinion.

As Kevin say these struts can cause other issues and stresses.

Have you alltered the angle that the strut sits in when the boot is open that causes the flexing?

Graham

Edited by Graham C
Correction of auto spelling