Rocker Arm broken

Dougie

Lately had cause to look into replacing rocker shaft assembly for my TR6 as all the rockers and shaft was badly worn. The OEM rockers were never bushed its now an upgrade offered now by Moss, Rimmers and more recently by Chris Whittor and need a clearance of 0.001" with a turfied shaft. Un-bushed rockers are also available.

On stripping my old shaft some of them were very tight with similar grooves to those seen here so I'm not surprised that they could possibly cockle on the shaft and seize especially if the oil supply was poor.

Whilst rebuilding a 1500 engine recently I replaced the shaft and all rockers because the originals were scored, I replaced with std from Paddocks bushed were available but the annual mileage of a classic is limited so std will last forever!

Eons (79) ago I had 6 potter (76, 2500 TC Mk2) rocker ie seize due to the locating countersunk Phillips head grub screw coming out but it didn’t fall down the pushrod holes thankfully.

Unless you're on a tight budget I'd say you want to be replacing both the shaft and all the rockers, though you might be able to get away with inspecting and just replacing some of the rockers.

There's some clear wear damage on the inner surface of the broken rocker, which will almost certainly mean matching wear/damage to the shaft where that rocker sits so it's probably scrap -> ~£18.

The sort of damage looks, as other have said like a lack of lubrication.  Now it COULD have just been a blocked supply to that 1 rocker, but if there's been crud building up int he oilways that got to that rocker to block it... Crud is rarely that targetted.  Plus there's 40 years of general wear and tear in there too.  The springs and spacers should be fine, so it's just rockers you should need -> £6/each, £72 for a set.