Why is it ?

PeterH

Why is it that what should be a comparatively simple job always turns into something more involved?

The pull cord switch for the heated towel rail in our bathroom broke. No problem - simple job to replace ?  So why is it that the entry hole for the wires on the new switch is in a different place and the screw holes  don't line up. So the new one is in a different place to the old and now I'm going to have to find some white emulsion and touch up the ceiling paint. 

Yea, know what you mean. I had to replace a transformer for the spot lights on our stairs a short while ago, ordered the exact same model. The only difference was the colour of the small cover for the connections. On the old one it was white just like the rest of the unit, on the new one sky blue. BUT the screw hole to fix the cover to the unit wasn't in the same place so couldn't swap them over.

I performed an economical cover up job by sticking some masking tape over the blue bit 🙄 Yes, a bodge but as it is high up and not obvious Mrs Me hasn't spotted it yet, and anyway she shouldn't be looking at the lights - the stairs are our art gallery of originals done by other artists.i.e. not Wendy's work.

Probably Mr Murphy had something to do with the Building?. You can guarantee, if you need to drill a wall (say) the Power or Water is right behind, where it needs to be. If you are lucky you remember to check first. If not??. The choice is Niagra or black lights!. To ilustrate, `98 to 2000 I did a full self build, so I knew exactly where the central heating pipe runs where?. Noooooooo!. I put the hole for a Picture pin, exactly where I was asked too, and drilled into the C-H pipework. Behind a stud wall it was!. Remove plaster board cut pipe fit joint, re-board, get plasterer back, then redecorate!!. It was a good repair, hardly noticable, but the picture stayed there until we moved out.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Just to resurrect an old thread - as in 'Why Is It.....? (That reminds me of 'How!" or was it 'How?' where they always started off with - how do they....)

Why is it that people just can't stick to the original format of things? The new £5 coin has been unveiled featuring H G Wells and iconic images from his books. Remember the Tripods in War of the Worlds?

The American designer has decided to 'put his own interpretation on things' and drawn them with four legs. He said: "I wanted to create something modern and contemporary." I think he based it on a hub puller. Obviously Wells was an amateur who didn't really know what he wanted when he wrote the book so it's nice to see him corrected after all these years.

I know the movies have taken liberties with the design over the years but this is supposed to be an iconic image. No doubt the engraving of John Logie Baird will have him standing in Jellystone Park.

sipjncvka8ryhyquazrp.png.cd1e6b86280a5664c4b73ab7f26173d1.png

2 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The American designer 

What? an American designer ? You had better check it is 5 Pounds not 5 dollars!

His own interpretation? i.e. he/she got it wrong

I thought Britain was 'taking back control' 🥴

Some years ago The "Yanks" where planning a remake of "The Dam Busters". Included in the planning was the use of B29`s?????. It was rumoured that they failed to agree on what to call the dog?. So it was shelved?.🤣

15 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Some years ago The "Yanks" where planning a remake of "The Dam Busters". Included in the planning was the use of B29`s?????. It was rumoured that they failed to agree on what to call the dog?. So it was shelved?.🤣

Back in 1997 I had to give a talk in America to their Association of Non-Destructive Testing regarding an inspection that I developed for Boeing.

The afternoon prior to the symposium I gave a run through to one of the Boeing engineers.

When I gave my 'english' account of an awkward moment I referred to ' the Niger in the woodpile'  The poor chap nearly fell off his seat. He asked me to repeat it as he didn;t believe what I had said.

Well the second time round it had the same effect.  He suggested that I didn't say that at the meeting.

The interesting things is - there wasn't a black face in the room.   What planet are they from.

Roger

2 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Back in 1997 I had to give a talk in America to their Association of Non-Destructive Testing regarding an inspection that I developed for Boeing.

The afternoon prior to the symposium I gave a run through to one of the Boeing engineers.

When I gave my 'english' account of an awkward moment I referred to ' the Niger in the woodpile'  The poor chap nearly fell off his seat. He asked me to repeat it as he didn;t believe what I had said.

Well the second time round it had the same effect.  He suggested that I didn't say that at the meeting.

The interesting things is - there wasn't a black face in the room.   What planet are they from.

Roger

Probably California?, Not Georgia?. (or Texas).

Pete

My son got his wife a kitten at Christmas a cute little thing called Nakita, my brother & I had a chuckle as we had a cat in the late 50's an all black  stray that walked thro the bedroom window, we named it yep what was quite acceptable in those days "Nigger" not quite politically acceptable these days! Do people still call there dogs "Blackie"

Talking of "non PC" Names, in the modern context. I still posses the Rowney Water colouring Paint box from the 1950`s. and Yes, the dark brown IS labled, Nigger Brown. Like much of the era, no one paid any attention to such things. My sister had the "gollywog" doll, loved the hell out of it, I could torment her by hiding it!. My son`s (1960`s) had the whole "Band" it sat in a row on the bedroom window cill. We ate a lot of Marmalade and Jam back then!.The B&W "minstrals" where Prime Saturday Night Entertainment!, much beloved of the "in Law"s. One of our little "gang" at school was  nick-named Midnight, Hell of a Rugby player too, so was his Sister, but that`s another story.!. Never batted an eyelid and gave back as good as he got, when I was forced to wear glasses age 10, he could call me 4 eyes, but no one else could. I guess People where "tougher" back then, sucked it up, and went on, too many had survived WW2, "whingeing" got you nowhere, taking it and giving it back was more likely to get you respect.? But then I suppose Nostalgia is not what it was?.

Pete

On 21/12/2020 at 13:01, Colin Lindsay said:

Why is it that when you want to fit a recessed ceiling light that, at the exact spot, there's always a joist behind?

When I did our kitchen I spent hours working out a pattern/spacing for the 15 spotlights. The main issue is the room is made up of 2 parts, one original, an RSJ and an extension. And yes, the joists in one part were differently laid out to the other. 

10 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Talking of "non PC" Names, in the modern context. I still posses the Rowney Water colouring Paint box from the 1950`s. and Yes, the dark brown IS labled, Nigger Brown. Like much of the era, no one paid any attention to such things. My sister had the "gollywog" doll, loved the hell out of it, I could torment her by hiding it!. My son`s (1960`s) had the whole "Band" it sat in a row on the bedroom window cill. We ate a lot of Marmalade and Jam back then!.The B&W "minstrals" where Prime Saturday Night Entertainment!, much beloved of the "in Law"s. One of our little "gang" at school was  nick-named Midnight, Hell of a Rugby player too, so was his Sister, but that`s another story.!. Never batted an eyelid and gave back as good as he got, when I was forced to wear glasses age 10, he could call me 4 eyes, but no one else could. I guess People where "tougher" back then, sucked it up, and went on, too many had survived WW2, "whingeing" got you nowhere, taking it and giving it back was more likely to get you respect.? But then I suppose Nostalgia is not what it was?.

Pete

As to this stuff, it is because we now now better. Just like we left slavery behind, women got the vote, no longer lock up or worse people who are gay, we don't ridicule disabled people or use the names of disabilities as insults and so on. It is the way society evolves. Some things we should not be proud of and accept they were wrong and move on. But at the same time we should not try to re-write the past, but rather learn from our mistakes.

1 hour ago, clive said:

But at the same time we should not try to re-write the past, but rather learn from our mistakes.

IMHO. There is a lot of the former going on, but very little of the latter?. BTW, A lot of people forget (or have never been told) that the UK taxpayer, only actually finished off paying for the cost of abandoning Slavery in 2015. And was the first country in the world to so do.

True story, we were fortunate enough to be able to send our son to one of Australia’s premier private schools named after a similar English school, in senior school my son took up field hockey as the goalie, we reckon he was too slow stepping backwards when the teacher asked for volunteers!
Anyway during a night game under lights the lights failed and it was very dark, one of the sons team was a dark Indian nicknamed Lucky a great lad and as is normal his eyes were very white the coach/teacher was heard to yell out Lucky open your eyes so we can see you! Quite acceptable even in the. Late 80’s.
We still see Lucky he frequently borrows my sons goalie equipment to this day, my son has upgraded to IceHockey now that’s rough!

The previous owner of our house left a Jolly "Afro-Cabribean Gentleman" Bank in the shed. Circa 1930's I think.

Now sits in our kitchen cupboard to stop it rusting any further, along with a small selection of the large number of glass bottles he buried in the garden.

Cant see the money box being a big hit now, but is part of our history. Sadly it isn't one of the rare variants, worth a lot of money if it was an original and had a top hat.

2 hours ago, clive said:

As to this stuff, it is because we now now better. Just like we left slavery behind, women got the vote, no longer lock up or worse people who are gay, we don't ridicule disabled people or use the names of disabilities as insults and so on. It is the way society evolves. Some things we should not be proud of and accept they were wrong and move on. But at the same time we should not try to re-write the past, but rather learn from our mistakes.

The only time I hear the N-word is when black guys sing it on Music channels on TV, and they seem to enjoy putting it into as many lines as possible. I also don't like to see Racism used as a weapon.

I do object when they take things too far - Morris Men for example were being attacked recently for performing in 'blackface', and despite the fact that they do not do this to pose as black people, but it was traditionally a method of concealing their identities as they were always great mischief makers and prankers, there is still a movement to have it banned.

We have Morris men (and women) around here, tediously they appear at any excuse, fete, car show, fireworks, weddings, I suspect they’d do funerals!  However, I’ve never ever seen “black face”. Our MM must be less villainous than NI.

Doug

33 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I do object when they take things too far

There have been worse than your example. A Chinese-American linguistics professor was giving a talk - in Mandarin! - on the use of filler words. You know the sort of thing, when people say "umm" or "err" or, in modern US/UK, "like". He explained to his Mandarin-speaking audience that in some parts of China the word used is their word for "that", which is pronounced "nega". Some idiot busibody reported him for using the N-word and had him put under disciplinary action.