Gauges

Gadgetman

12 minutes ago, NonMember said:

If it's an original type gauge (later model with voltage stabiliser) then it's a bi-metal strip with a heating coil. It's not polarity sensitive and it'll cope with 12V across it no problem. If it's the earlier (no stabiliser) type then it may be polarity-sensitive but is designed for 12V so again, no problem.

Thanks I will give that a try.   Pat

23 minutes ago, PatK said:

Thanks Colin, I will give that a go.  I was very impressed with your details of how you are attempting to cure the tub sag in your Herald convertible. I have exactly the same problem with my vitesse and I have just bought two 5"wide very heavy ratchet straps, and wii have a go in the New Year. Like yours it is the offside that is worse, but if mine keeps springing back like yours, then I will grind the paint off at the bottom and apply heat as the first measure. Thanks Colin.  Pat

Still ongoing! You need heavy ratchets and be careful where you attach them; I had to jam substantial lengths of wood behind the wings and down into the bottom of the footwell behind the b-posts, which I secured in place with a large self tapper and penny washer through the seat-belt mounting hole. It's too easy to bend metal or pull out the spot-welds if you do it incorrectly so what you brace it behind is very important. As the b-posts pull in you can see the floors drop, the tunnel seatbelt mounting moves down in relation to the chassis mounting, but springs up again once pressure is released. I have a professional bodyworker not far from me who was to call over and advise but Covid is delaying nearly everything in my garage at present. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Still ongoing! You need heavy ratchets and be careful where you attach them; I had to jam substantial lengths of wood behind the wings and down into the bottom of the footwell behind the b-posts, which I secured in place with a large self tapper and penny washer through the seat-belt mounting hole. It's too easy to bend metal or pull out the spot-welds if you do it incorrectly so what you brace it behind is very important. As the b-posts pull in you can see the floors drop, the tunnel seatbelt mounting moves down in relation to the chassis mounting, but springs up again once pressure is released. I have a professional bodyworker not far from me who was to call over and advise but Covid is delaying nearly everything in my garage at present. 

Thanks Colin, I'm sure we are all waiting with bated breath to see the results and hear how it was done.  Good luck and keep us all informed.  Thanks.   Pat

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Thanks Pete; handy to know the measurements but it's like my trouser belt - I can draw it in considerably, but on release... everything jumps back out again. I need to keep it there.

You have to overpull, the "belt" very carefully. I had several "tries" before I got anywhere near. When I get outside again. I will re-check the dimensions to see if it has moved again?.

Pete

15 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

just to add with tub spread you can also see  the gap around the sides of the boot lid close up or even foul up .

just to my original odds and sods spread reviver 

bodytub.jpg

Hi Pete . I thought if you reduce the distance between the B posts the boot gaps would increase ? 
Paul