2000 estate tow bar

Mathew

To make my 2500s more useable a tow bar would be great. As selling looks nigh on impossible in the current climate.  Since I got rid of my last modern with a new one I have been without a tow vehicle. The new car with its 1.5 turbo can only tow 600kg! So not much point getting a tow bar for that, strange as the van version is about double that! Not had much success finding one for sale, so was wondering if anyone had one kicking about? How much can a 2500s estate tow?

Back in the 70`s. Our neighbour, towed a 16ft old (and heavy) CI caravan with one? But he had to fit spring assissters to the rear axle to ofset the "drop" induced by the noseweight?. They have a quite substantial overhang. BTW I had a similar issue later with a Granada Estate. And fitted air assisted Shock`s. I had a look at the Caravan Club website but the Triumph range no longer figures on their list (to old obviously).

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

my mk2  saloon has a tow bar , not used but useful bump protection  

on re bushing the wandering trailing arms the springs had a approx 10mm spring seat risers rings   so they got removed to the cupboard 

available for a beer or two 

Pete

Cheers Pete, will remember when we get out of lockdown. 

3 hours ago, Russell1972 said:

I bought one for my 2000 estate from the TSSC club shop about 17 years ago, and I see they still do them.

https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/towbar-20002500pi-estate-mkii-ptr28

Nicely spotted, I love the club but the tight wad in me can't  stretch to that much! My local iron mongers could supply the metal for approx 10 pounds and I could make it. Any one know what it attached to underneath . If I can't find a second hand one looks like making will be the other option.

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Nicely spotted, I love the club but the tight wad in me can't  stretch to that much! My local iron mongers could supply the metal for approx 10 pounds and I could make it. Any one know what it attached to underneath . If I can't find a second hand one looks like making will be the other option.

The main cross bar that runs behind the bumper, is sandwiched between the bumper mounts and the body and attached with the existing bumper bolts. The thinner bar that runs down under the rear is just bolted through the floor. I think I had to drill a couple of holes, so that part doesn't bolt to anything in particular.

• Thanks 1

On 24/12/2020 at 14:14, Russell1972 said:

I think I had to drill a couple of holes, so that part doesn't bolt to anything in particular.

On a couple of cars I had over the years where that type mount/fitting was used, there was a spreader plate inside the car or often wheel well usually?.

Pete