Oil and water sensor sizes?

Jeffds1360

Morning and merry xmas everyone. Look what I got from the kids.

First photo shows, on the left my old, old water temp sensor which will be 5/8 UNF?? or is it 3/8 BSP? I'm easily confused, some say M12-1.5. What does it all mean....Anyway, the new one is tiny! Can you get adapters? 

The oil pressure thread size is quoted at 8mm. Is ours 1/8 BSPT? Is a converter available for this too?

Maybe I should send it back to China. Nice try my children!

2nd photo is other stuff they got me. Well done for knowing pre '74 can be musical !!! Dare I fit them? They are either Dixie or La Cucaracha!!! No one knows???

20201225_101240.jpg

20201225_101852.jpg

air horns can fail the MOT you dont need now as being too harsh  Got that tee shirt 

youre supposed to warn of approach not scare sh1t out of some old lady on the crossing 

never mind the musical options 

temp sender is def  5/8unf 

im sure the oil is 1/8 bsp 

heres a selection https://www.smiths-instruments.co.uk/temp-transmitters

adaptors  https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/sender-adaptors

Pete

You should be able to use the old sensors attached to the new gauges, with suitable swapping of connectors or splicing; after all the readings / output should be the same in any language so I doubt if it requires any kind of conversion in between... :)

You can also get an oil pressure sensor converter but again there is probably an entire unit threaded for our cars that may work out just as cheap.

Selection of adaptors below:

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/sender-adaptors

Have you tried just attaching the temp gauge to the old sensor to see what happens?

The sensor is nothing technical a thermocouple at the bottom of the brass fitting held in place with a spring.

You could compare to old gauge and even a thermometer.

Graham

PS Colin beat me to the reply.

Edited by Graham C
Correction and PS added

Aaaah... good. thank you gents. I shall just swap wires on the water and test it out

I'm a bit ignorant with regard to the oil sensor, I though the standard one was just 'on/off' as I've never seen the oil light go dim, it just goes straight off on first few cranks. So.... anyway, Ill just swap wires and ignore the new sensors. So what is that big canister all about ?

Handy links there Pete, cheers. I will have a separate operating switch for the air horns, for use only in 'exceptional circumstances' e.g. when I'm selling ice cream :)

Thanks to you too Colin (great minds etc re the link)

and to you Graham, I will do just that for both

The new oil sensor needs to be used with the oil pressure gauge.  It contains a pressure to voltage conversion device to drive the gauge. You will also need to provide a supply voltage to the gauge to drive this.  
mid you also want the oil pressure light to work you will need a T piece so that both the new sensor and the old are getting oil pressure.

47 minutes ago, Graham C said:

a thermocouple at the bottom of the brass fitting

Sorry but the pedant / engineer in me cannot let that pass! The temperature sensor is an NTC Thermistor, it most definitely is not a thermocouple!

51 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

after all the readings / output should be the same in any language

No, because there's a lot of conversion going on. The temperature sensor converts temperature to resistance, according to a curve that varies widely between sensors. The gauge supply (with or without stabiliser) then converts this resistance to a current, and the gauge converts the current to motion, again with considerable variability.

If you had a capillary oil gauge then the fittings don't matter, but if it's an electric one you again have a conversion from pressure to voltage (or resistance) with wide scope for variability.

So all in, the senders and gauges must be matched or you will get wild readings.

4 hours ago, NonMember said:

No, because there's a lot of conversion going on. The temperature sensor converts temperature to resistance, according to a curve that varies widely between sensors. The gauge supply (with or without stabiliser) then converts this resistance to a current, and the gauge converts the current to motion, again with considerable variability.

What I was getting at (the simplistic part) was that 80, 88, 90 degrees or the like should be the same regarding of what you actually call it, so that a gauge registering a certain temperature will register the same temperature the world over and hopefully in the same position on the scale, but you're right in how that is interpreted between the sensor and the gauge. However as a first step I'd try temp and volts with the standard sensor and see how accurate or not that is - it's unlikely to blow anything as the sensor is simply that, and the replacement one looks to be the same, a simple sensor and not a complicated electronic device with any kind of overload or failsafe built in and no huge variation in current. It might be useable as is, but only a test will tell.

Ok guys, I'll try a basic existing wire to new Temp gauge tomorrow and see what it reads (my existing one never goes above 1/4 hot)

With regard to the oil pressure, I am going to have to measure the new sensor threads and see if it fits/what T piece I need.

BTW the horn compressor motor runs but no air out of nozzles!!!................ bit of a bummer :)

Happy new year everyone. 

Can you confirm for me that these oil and water sensors I have, which measure 8mm outside thread size and seem to be 28 PTI (+/- 1) are equivalent to 1/8 BSP.?

I understand I may need to use some PTFE tape as the threads may be slightly different shape.

Also, who is best supplier for 1) a 1/8 BSP 'T' piece and 2) a 5/8 UNF 'T' piece to 5/8 UNF and 1/8 BSF. If this is available??

Thanks in advance.

Just realised my Chinese sensors may be M10x1. Is this likely? 

If so, I need M10x1 female adapters to 5/8 unf and to 1/8 bsp. males

They seem available in USA for a fiver but postage is 30+.... weird that I cannot find any in the UK!

All mine are, I believe parallel, I'm struggling to count the TPI hence the small variation in my descriptions :) 

27/28 TPI is 0.9/mm 'ish so I must assume 1 thread per mm but eye-site is strained and it is always dark and the grand-kids are not allowed in etc etc :(

19 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Hi. Yes if your in America!

BSP has a 55 degree thread angle while NSP is 60 and also has flattened peaks and valleys. I'm sure our good old British cars will be BSP.

I need adapters to M10x1. Bloody Chinese :)

I hope the oil galleys on a six are 1/8NPT as just bought some expensive transmitters for data logging. I want the threads to match! LOL.

4 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Remember a lot of senders earth thro their body ie the screw in fitting so don’t put too much pyre on I think the oil pressure sensor is not.

If there is only one wire then it will require a return path - so via the thread would be normal.