Oil and water sensor sizes?

Jeffds1360

Great init !!!! Why is the 5/8 UNF so difficult to find adapters for??? all I want to do is put a M10x1 sensors into my existing water and oil sensors and keep the originals !!! I'm jumping through unseen hoops to get that configuration and the resulting combinations will probably extend outside the body lines :)

I might have to earth the earth if the PTFE interrupts the connection :(

Good thing is the car is running fine. Bad news.... I do not go out in the wet.

That is the sort Colin but I need a T. to take the original sensor (although not needed, I would not like to see a 'dead' gauge on the dash :) )

I am struggling to find a 5/8 T but can get 5/8 to 3/8 and to 1/8 BSP and also to M10 so I've ordered a combination, just in case.

thanks all. up to the postie now.

8 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If I've read that right the M10 female takes the new gauge connector and the 5/8 male screws into the block.

Came into the page and the first thing that I read was this and thought that I had found my way, by accident, onto Doug's 'other web-site'

• Haha 1

They probably do but until they are out, no one seems to know which they are!

All I want to do is T off a 5/8 to 5/8 and M10 and also off 1/8 to 1/8 and M10.

Seems simple but NO. I'll report back when postie bring me the adapters :)

cheers for info.

The kids were not to know. My house garage is equipped with a few tools but my hand drill and ancient (whitworth? ) Taps are not up for the job. Not everyone has a handy local machine shop! Off to a funeral in a minute,  only 10 allowed inside and I am one of the privileged few. The rest will get wer under the speakers! Ohhh hummus.

Hi again. I'm struggling to get adapters or T pieces for the 5/8 UNF temp. sender and was wondering that if I reduced it to a 3/8 fitting, or even metric so I could T off.

Would a 3/8 or even metric sensor work correctly with my dash gauge? (I'd just bin the 5/8 original)

I've read somewhere that sensors need to be matched to the gauge?

47 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Would a 3/8 or even metric sensor work correctly with my dash gauge?

It's not the size of the sender that matters, it's what you do with it the electrical characteristics. You could try measuring the resistance of the two senders at a selection of useful temperatures (I'd suggest 60C, 90C and 110C are good but may not be easy to do). If they match, then either will work with the gauge. If not, then you need to one that the gauge was designed for.

OK, thanks lads. I have not had the car out or even warmed up the last week or so, I will have to get the kettle and my spare battery attached to the gauge so I can start dipping my wick... ... I mean sensors/thermometer (how do you do cross outs) :)

Why cannot they just do a 5/8 T !!!

Well I got out for a run and when back tried the new gauge wired up and onto the 5/8 UNF original sensor, I'm pleased to say it went to 110c + when water was at 80. That means I have not wasted my money on the adapters and T piece I am getting. Tried the new sensor and new gauge in the radiator and it was spot on 80.

I dropped the sensor fully under water and it went to 120,the max. Guess the wiring shorts out.

Happy with that.