Highest capacity + best warranty battery for the GT6?

avivalasvegas

Last time I chose a Bosch from Costco, 5 year warranty and their no-quibble exchange at a great price.

Halfords are a decent option if you have a Trade Card - fair price, long opening hours and loads of branches in case you do need to use their replacement guarantee.

...... Andy 

We like the Halfords 063. Just had to recycle one date stamped 2004. Been the garage slave battery the last couple of years but was still coping with weekly use up to then.

Not sure who makes the Halfords ones but they are decent and reasonably priced, especially if you have a trade card

Nick

I've bought five batteries from Tayna in the last few years - for the three Triumphs and the other half's Yaris. The Triumphs were all 063 style of various makes, the Yaris one is smaller. Of the five, the only one that was disappointing was the Varta for the Yaris - so I've replaced it with a Bosch.

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I get batteries from Euro Car Parts, always a “sale” on, today, a Boxing Day Special. Lion 063 £39. Exide £52, 3 or 4 others. 

Doug

Beware the Exide battery. Not for quality, but it has a rounded edge making it a sod to clamp down in a Triumph. Ask me how I know. (I have swapped it after 5 years, gone into my sisters Yaris, I acquired a new Platinum 075, which are apparently good batteries according to a friend who fits them to all their fleet vehicles.... it cost me a packet of hobnobs.) 

ECP or Halfords are my suppliers of choice in case of warranty issues.

My first choice is Bosch with their 5yrs warranty or even the 4yrs warranty is grand; I have always found they hold their charge even when not used for months & months.

Usual suspects as mentioned - Tanya - ECP and Halfords.

Regards.

Richard.

I've found Yuasa Silver 5 year guarantee batteries very dependable, and reasonably priced with a Halfords trade card.

I've had one on my Scimitar GTE for about 4 years. The battery tray is small and will only take an 063, rather small for starting a 3 litre V6! The Yuasa has never failed, even after weeks of standing without even a trickle charge in cold weather.

Nigel

• Like 1

15 hours ago, clive said:

Not if you have the terminals at the "back" of the battery (against the bulkhead, away from that nasty conductive battery clamp)

Hi Clive . You are correct 🤗 just checked and my setup is with terminals to the bulkhead 

Paul 

On 26/12/2020 at 16:29, clive said:

The top has a curved top edge. Or did on mine. Far from useful. 

Often ( as in the photo above) they also have a ledge to clamp to; I've seen quite a few batteries using the top edge and not the designated area for the clamp, which, if it's rounded, won't give proper grip. My Gt6 battery can be clamped in both but as the guys here have said the top position is too close to the terminals. Sometimes it needs longer hooks but still works.

1 minute ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Often ( as in the photo above) they also have a ledge to clamp to; I've seen quite a few batteries using the top edge and not the designated area for the clamp, which, if it's rounded, won't give proper grip. My Gt6 battery can be clamped in both but as the guys here have said the top position is too close to the terminals. Sometimes it needs longer hooks but still works.

I tried the lower ledge, but the battery can lift/twist up. Which means it is totally inadequate, the clamp must hold the battery down properly. I had to weld some bits to teh clamp bar, luckily I have several spares.

But my point is the Exide is a problem for our cars, or at least the battery clamps we have. My advice to is to buy another brand where there is no problem.

• Thanks 1

I avoid Exide in general and while I was a fan of Yuasa back when they were a purely Japanese battery company. They've since shifted some manufacturing in Guandong, China, which is where the battery I purchased was made. It lasted 2 years before erupting, causing corrosive damage to my battery tray on another vehicle. 

Since then, I've purchased Bosch/ Varta 5 year batteries. 

A lot of  "modern" batteries are designated to be fastened by the base connection clamping Hence the locating "notches" around the base. Or have a "bridge" fastening over the top. The more "traditonal" style is that used on pre 75(ish) vehicles (like Triumphs). The Bosh/Varta badged "silver" Range have been getting good reviews. Made allegedly in the same factory BTW. The last car battery I bought, was 38quid from a local Factors, for  a Fiat. 2 year warranty, still OK on 3 and counting.

Pete.