Your Boxing day Fry up

Pete Lewis

there is nothing like a plate full of Bubble and Squeak just like Mum used to make 

all the left overs fried to a crisp a load of eggs and salt and pepper with brown sauce 

strong coffe and all me pills !!!!!

sod the ailments  eat happy for a day 

Im sure i will have the sprouts revisit later on 

Pete

I’m with you Pete bubble and squeak with brown sauce tomorrow!

Son and daughter took the remainder of my grandma’s family recipe Christmas Pudding. Son also took the brandy sauce the wife had laced it with the best brandy, I mean laced!

Besides the turkey, pork we had the Aussie prawns and lobster as starters, the latter very cheap this year as China has refused to take our lobsters ie the trade war so we win! oh and Pav to finish with the Pudding.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

there is nothing like a plate full of Bubble and Squeak just like Mum used to make

Funnily enough, my other half (who is Singaporean and does really good oriental fusion cooking) specifically requested bubble & squeak with steak for her birthday dinner this year (as we weren't allowed to eat out...), even though her mum would never have made it.

I didn`t know, "Bubble and Squeak", had made it even as far as Watford Gap?. Ooop Eeerrr, we chuck anything left along with a few eggs in a fry pan, and eat the resulting concoction, after Xmas that can even include mashed sprouts!. Worcester sauce is a requirement, brown sauce optional, some family members prefer Tomato sauce, (actually, with everything), Salt and pepper, "healthily" fried in whatever fat was left over from the roast!. The "health police" go into spazam at the very thought!. Even my old Doctor, professed a liking for it!. Along with Fried Bread, Dripping Sarnies with Salt, The staples of a "Post War" childhood!. How did our grand parents make it into old age?, My gran was 2 months short of a Telegram from HMQ, when she passed, the wifes gran was in her late 90`s!.?????.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

How did our grand parents make it into old age?, My gran was 2 months short of a Telegram from HMQ, when she passed, the wifes gran was in her late 90`s!.?????.

Pete

You guys haven't lived until you've had an Ulster fry. It has to be fried - too many places these days try to be trendy and grill everything. Soda bread, potato bread, wheaten bread, bacon, sausage, egg, vegetable roll, possibly mushrooms and often these days baked beans (like hash browns, they're not an original ingredient) along with toast and tea. Sometimes they'll include chips. It must have killed more people than Stalin. Many of the roadside cafes do a 'belly buster' version, beloved of lorry drivers who it is rumoured drive lorries as they no longer fit into anything else, as a result...

My mother's 94 and she personally made all of the bread that went into ours when we were younger; my father-in-law is approaching 80 and he eats his absolutely covered in salt, like dusted icing sugar. Yuck.