Soft top to windscreen weather seal installation

Tipidave

I was just congratulating myself for finally getting round to fitting the rubber seal that sits on the soft top header and mates with the windscreen frame. It was quite a struggle to get it to sit in the channel... but finally it is done. Beer all round you might think!

However, it is now impossible to get the soft top to close and before adjusting the brackets I am wondering if I have fitted it the right way round... or maybe even  have the wrong seal.  I have looked everywhere for a schematic but cannot tell. The seal is roughly a square cross section with a slit cut in it to create a thick pad and a thin flap. I have mounted it such that the thin flap mates with the inner part of the windscreen top , the slit sitting around the raised section on top the windscreen frame and the thick part mating  the outer windscreen frame. Can anyone confirm this is correct or otherwise?

Thanks again  oh and Merry Xmas to all!!

18 hours ago, Tipidave said:

I have mounted it such that the thin flap mates with the inner part of the windscreen top , the slit sitting around the raised section on top the windscreen frame and the thick part mating  the outer windscreen frame. Can anyone confirm this is correct or otherwise?

Thanks again  oh and Merry Xmas to all!!

I can't find a good photo this morning but someone with a spit will no doubt advise; I did manage to find a kind of a schematic, but no idea how accurately it's drawn. I also found a photo of a fitted seal: does this help any?

spitfireiii_plate_bb.jpg.c247645834041b77dce220aea8b587c8.jpg  801376216_ScreenShot2020-12-27at08_49_16.png.2694a1a1c584adc2aac8deb46fa85983.png

The Herald seal is just a u-shaped profile, no thick flap or thin, but both sides same profile same as Paul's photo, so the flattened square-edged side goes into the retainer rail and the U-shape clamps down onto the windscreen header.

If you can make it out from this drawing taken from Canley's site, just above and to the right of '2' it looks the same but is drawn slightly longer and 'toothier'.

89023596_ScreenShot2020-12-27at12_06_31.png.920a9d6bdea7d3d1188571ab4768cd8a.png

Thinking back to when I dismantled mine. I am sure I had to take the seal out of the rail to access the screws?. I think it was "glued" or bonded in and the "u" shape was on the outside?. Have you got the right profile Part?. Could be simply that being new it needs adjustment?.

Pete

I have taken some photos. The profile is definitely not the same symmetrical form as that shown in one of the replies. 
I think that the seal was supplied by rimmer bros and came with the car when it was purchased a couple of years ago. 

I have now used some durex lube that helped to seat it in place and am hoping that it might just settle itself in (cold weather doesn’t help).

I am a little worried about the amount of tension being placed on the windscreen frame though. 

now a new issue! 

the third image is showing where the hood joins the b post of the frame on the drivers side. The stitching has torn and I am finding it difficult to re-glue. 
I do not see how I can repair the stitching... does anyone know why this has happened, how to stop it in future and what type of glue might work (have just ordered a marine two part pvc glue). 

once again all opinions and views greatfully received 

3C19E505-FF0F-44F5-BD8B-72D170E4C364.jpeg

E5514EDE-B2EC-4C05-810A-1CC2085DC562.jpeg

FD6AC5CF-2817-4D51-86F9-47D56233B409.jpeg

That seal is fitted back to front / upside down... it looks like the wrong profile, strangely like a glass runner channel profile, or else it's been fitted around the rail retainer strip rather than the square profile fitted into it... what does the other side look like? Is there a groove for the seam that runs on top of the windscreen surround? I've managed to find both a seal strip and a rubber seal and made up a mockup so that you can see the way they fit it's not fully seated but should illustrate the idea.

E3AE0F57-BA12-47D1-A6D7-9CDFAAC2B0FC_1_105_c.jpg.600097c17c34bf1354ed7373e8ce30c7.jpg 33D36907-60AE-4BB7-9776-95E514CBCE52_1_105_c.jpg.27698bdecd2102ceb183c7733d9be138.jpg

On 29/12/2020 at 14:59, Tipidave said:

Thanks for the prompt response again...That is quite different! Any idea where I can buy a strip from? 
regards

david

Probably come under heading "usual suspects" It is shown as "Available" from Canley (606366) £8.98 each?.

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-herald-13/60&diagram=triumph-herald-13/60-convertible-hood

Pete