Felt washer for stub axle ?

Paul H

That exploded diagram appears to show the felt facing away from the upright and towards the hub, when in fact it's towards the upright ie metal side is pressed into the hub with the felt facing out of the hub as Pete has said. 

I like the way Canleys describe it: NCA in decent quality... which is very true.

If you need good ones, look for Payen NA988 or Unipart GHS110, but be careful - many cheap ones are listed as 'equivalent to' and are the same as the rubbish varieties.

• Thanks 1

I reused mine the Canleys replacements didn’t fit . Hopefully the correct way round this time plus removed the packed grease in the hub centre which I had carefully filled . I now know not to do this. In my defence the WSM shoes the felt side facing the bearing . 
6A6818D6-5DE2-4B71-89D1-2E93791A0E60.thumb.jpeg.9bdc5ad86e853f3d6e6be79b6d637eb1.jpeg

Paul 

I think it was on this forum long ago the advice re putting a new felt seal in was to soak it in oil for some hrs then compress the felt over a period of days not just to get rid of excess oil but to attain the right felt thickness so you don’t have to keep adjusting the hub play as the seal compress’s

now your making me think which way I’ve put the seals in a job for next week, like the rear drive shaft hub seals go in backwards so the excess grease can push past them

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes that is correct 

yes  grease in the hub cavity is just a heat trap and doesnt lube the bearings so all is good 

notice you have noisy grooved discs   do you like them ??

Pete

Hi Pete too early to say . Currently the front brakes are crap because of cheapo £10 pads . Just fitted new Mintex 1144’s . One side to complete then I can test 

Paul 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

wish i could draw ....     >-< [ |      its def  bearing  the cup retainer  then the felt 

The cup sits nicely into the hub, same shape, to hold the bearing in place, then the felt - soaked in oil for a day or two first. WSM says tighten up the hub to the prefloat first, mark where the nut sits, take it off again and repeat with the felt in place, tighten up until the nut reaches the same marks. You couldn't do that with the felt inside or you'd have to chisel the backing cup out again and probably ruin it so - metal to bearing, felt facing out of the hub.