GT6 MkIII seat belts

Roger K

The seat belt sockets on my GT6 are pretty tatty, cracked and split, but just about work.  What have folk used as replacements?  I'm perfectly happy to stick with black static belts (don't really like inertia belts in a classic), but would like to avoid the 'bendy wand' style socket with its bright red button.  Is there anything closer to the original Britax that would work?

Thanks, Roger

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

The ones I got for my Spitfire (static Securon) have a rigid lower mount that matches the original MkIV/1500 style. The ones on my GT6 (inertia, probably also Securon but it's 30 years since I fitted them) are similar.

Thanks Rob,

Useful pointer - I've just had a look at the Securon site and they do metal straps, stalks or webbing for the buckle.  My GT6 has the rigid black box buckle style, which bolts direct to the floor.  They don't do anything quite the same but the metal strap as not far off, and actually the webbing style would look OK too.  I'll also talk to Quickfit once they're open again as I've had a few belt systems supplied by them, and they do a lovely line in silver grey belts with proper chrome buckles, but the GT6 needs black.  More research needed!

For inertia reels, I presume the reel mounts on the floor by the sill and the belt goes up to the top of the B post?  Is there plenty of room for the reel on the floor in normal use?

20 minutes ago, Roger K said:

Is there plenty of room for the reel on the floor in normal use?

No! :lol:

The factory fitted statics have a mounting on the floor behind the seat near the sill. The inertia reels won't fit here so they bolt low on the wheel arch, the kit comes with a plate to fit in the exterior of the wheel arch. The original mounting on top of the wheel arch is used to get the angle of the belt over the shoulder right.

Doug

For further information, on my Mk111 I fitted the Securon 514/15 which are the three point automatic belts, these have the reel mounted on top of the wheel arch where the static belt mounts as there was no lower mounting point at the bottom of the wheel arch.  These were a replacement for the previous set of automatic belts previously fitted to the car and were the belts recommended by one of the usual suspects, I can't remember which one.

The buckles came with a 15cm metal strap that would have to have been bolted to the side of the transmission tunnel rather than the floor.  The right angled mounting plate from the original Britax buckles was also needed to provide the correct alignment for the buckle strap.