Night dimming relay

Roger K

Does anyone with a late GT6 Mk3 (or any other car with one fitted) still have the night dimming relay in circuit?  Back in the eighties, I vaguely remember bypassing mine as it seemed daft to deliberately have dimmer brake lights at night.  Now that so many people drive around with their lights on during the day, I wonder how many realize that this little box (I seem to remember it is yellow?) is rendering their brake and indicator lamps difficult to see in daylight, because it has 'assumed' the lights will only come on in the dark?

Roger

Just now, yorkshire_spam said:

I disabled the one on my Dolomite. Not only did it make the lights hard to see in daylight (commented on by the MOT tester) it played havoc with wiring in the towing electrics.

Yes, I guess it would...  I don't plan to hitch up my Brian James Transporter to the GT6, though.  I think it'd kill it.

I'm thinking just taking the red wires off it and joining them together would do it - need to find it first, though.

The prize goes to Mr Lewis. It was probably a good idea in the "dim" and distant past (See what I did there?! :lol:)  But not these days, took mine off years ago and yes, it was yellow. Fits behind the side trim on the passenger side boot area.

I've just fitted LED brake lights makes an amazing difference.

There's an interesting thought, would LED lights work with the dimmer relay?

Doug 

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

There's an interesting thought, would LED lights work with the dimmer relay?

I suspect they'd work fine but wouldn't dim significantly. All the relay does is introduce a series resistor, which would have almost no effect on an LED bulb.

On 02/01/2021 at 14:22, Pete Lewis said:

seem to remember  ????          join the reds together  as pairs  then ditch the earth

Pete

Never understood why people mess around with the red wires - just reach in and pull the black one off, job done.  The earth is just there to complete the relay's trigger circuit so no earth means the trigger circuit can't complete when you switch the lights on, so the dimming side of the relay never activates.  Simples.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mjit said:

Never understood why people mess around with the red wires - just reach in and pull the black one off, job done.  The earth is just there to complete the relay's trigger circuit so no earth means the trigger circuit can't complete when you switch the lights on, so the dimming side of the relay never activates.  Simples.

Oooo, that's clever, obvious really...