Wire Wheels

PeterH

Triumph Spitfire wire wheels are rarely on e-bay, but MG ones crop up from time to time. I believe they have a longer hub and need a special longer splined adaptor (available from an e-bay seller)

Anybody had experience of fitting them?

Are there any other problems? Is the offset OK? I'm only looking at standard width (4.1/2").

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I am not a fan of wire wheels. Beside the cleaning issues and that they are floppy (seriously) they can be horrendous if the splines are worn. I know people who have had wires come off the car when driving....

so before you think about buying used wires, check any have no wear in the splines. What looks a good deal is rarely so.

I am not usually one to advocate serious spending, but if you really want wires, buying new is often the cheapest way.

you need to check the PCD f the studs holes im sure mg are not same as triumph so the adaptors wont fit,

having a few members with adaptors that refuse to unbolt due to worn nuts and hopeless access for any socket means they can seriously impede rear brake drum removal without a fight .

all wheels distort,  due to cornering loads but  if you watched a video of how wheels distort on cornering and compare steel/alloy with a spoked , you wouldnt put them on your wheel barrow.

if you want handling  dont go there.  !!!   look nice thats about all you get with spokes

Pete

I had wires on a TR6 and the day before an mot one of the tubeless tyres split the inner tube, resulting in a frantic effort to get a replacement fitted in the morning of the mot. I fitted a set of minilights within a week and they completely transformed the cars handling especially on bends and country roads. I know you can get tubeless wires now but once i had driven the car with minilites it was no contest.

• 3 months later...

look nice but

i would avoid any used wires as likely to have play in them

i have also had a wire wheel splined adaptor pull its studs out of a hub on my previous gt6 , initially there was knocking on cornering  then a odd bobbing at the rear with the knocking,  thankfully i stopped before the last stud let go and the wheel came off