Fixed fan or go electric..

wimpus

Hi, 

This evening noticed something missing on my viscous fan.. 

Then noticed a little bit of play on the coupling itself.

Now what to do.. 

Fit another non viscous waterpump and fixed fan

Or.. 

Go electric ?

Already got an alloy wide rad.

20210106_170725.jpg

Hello Wimpus,

I had a viscous fan on my Daimler - nothing wrong with it apart the weight, but swapped it as I prefer electric fans........... purely personal choice.

Regards.

Richard.

a little play is fairly normal    but a lot is a no no .  fans are available but quite pricey 

https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/fan-blade-viscous-type

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-water-pump-fan-all-markets-except-home

not a fan !! of electric  you need a good air flow under the bonnet ,especially when stuck in traffic not just coming on when hot 

Pete

Conversly, I favour electric fans, however I note that few are properly shrouded to direct the flow across the whole of the matrix. (as on most "moderns"). With a wide rad; I would even consider a twin fan setup?. Fans are rarely needed anyway out of traffic?, most often never even cut in in normal use in the UK, many only coming on after the vehicle stops!. Back "when" some fitted Radiator Blinds for use in winter, or us "po boys" a piece of card board!!, otherwise the old "smiths" round heater (in posh cars) never got up to heat!.

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

a little play is fairly normal    but a lot is a no no .  fans are available but quite pricey 

https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/fan-blade-viscous-type

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-water-pump-fan-all-markets-except-home

not a fan !! of electric  you need a good air flow under the bonnet ,especially when stuck in traffic not just coming on when hot 

Pete

When I checked for play I could see it move.

But not a lot 1mm or less.

So still dont know what to do.

Im thinking to fit a fixed one for now and see.

A friend with a Stag had his viscous fan fail on a club run, fortunately it missed his rad and he got home using the electric fan, he replaced the viscous, the bearing had failed.

I have as standard a viscous on the Dolly Sprint and must admit it works very well controlling the very high temperatures experienced here in Melbourne (up to 40C, 37 net Monday) the gauge normally runs just under the mid point of the gauge,  in traffic on a hot day just over no where overheating, but if I have problems with it I'll go electric sucker fan, would love to shroud it.

The Spit runs only electric temp controlled but they are pushers where shrouding wouldn't be effective? 

Originally the elect fan operation was manual and there were times our oversight saw the temp get hot it took quite a while to pull the water temp down, now there auto the temp is maintained well and there's no overheating.

4 hours ago, wimpus said:

This evening noticed something missing on my viscous fan.. 

Then noticed a little bit of play on the coupling itself.

When I noticed "something missing" from the viscous fan on my Stag, it was caused by the play in the bearing. Mind you, that was bad - at least a couple of centimetres at the tips of the blades - easily enough for them to hit the radiator. I unbolted the fan and drove on, then converted to electric once I got the chance. Contrary to popular opinion, a Stag engine will not instantly self-destruct if driven with no fan, even when you encounter traffic lights.

If I remember correctly from a couple of friends who had them back in the 80's/90's the overheating and general water issues were sorted by the enthusiasts and basically was a bigger slightly taller radiator header so the top of the heads remained flooded with water.

I would have loved one back then - and would love one again today - but the prices of a good one are way past my budget :(

Hi

Shrouded fans. I had comunication with a guy on E-Bay ( from York I think?) a month or two back, over a pair of fans he had on offer fully shrouded can`t remember they car they came off. Eventually I decided they where too wide for the (Non Car, Air-con cooling) application I wanted. But for a wider Radiator they may have modified?.

EDIT:- Had a look on E-Bay messages. 67x36x12cm. ex Mazda RX8.

Pete

55 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

basically was a bigger slightly taller radiator header

That was certainly a common mod but wasn't actually needed. Just build the engine right and keep the cooling system in good condition. A friend of mine put his completely standard Stag through Rover's mid-90s "towing" test in the hot room, and it performed better than the then current Rover 820.

a fixed fan will make a bit more noise and sap a little more power thats all the basic viscous units give as an improvement 

the early ones are not temperature sensed , yes the goo and paddle drive responds to temperature but  they are not exactly 

temperature controlled 

pete

13 hours ago, PeteH said:

Fans are rarely needed anyway out of traffic?,

Due to dodgy electrics in my ancient Peugeot 306 I put in a toggle switch to operate the fans. Regularly ran 360 miles to Scotland without turning them on. They were only necessary when stuck in a jam for 10/15 minutes.

As for our cars, the mechanical fan works fine in the UK climate, IF your engine is in good condition. Don’t be tempted to go electric because you’re overheating. Flushing the block and radiator is easy and makes a noticeable difference.

Doug

• Like 1

Assuming that the Cooling system is clean and working to spec; of course. Then fan assistance should only be needed in more extreme conditions. Under way the ram air through the rad is more that adequate, occasionally even too much.

Now, those of us who remember the early mini`s will be aware that the radiator was placed "East West",  where the flow of cooling air came only from the Fan. which (if I am right) expelled air to the nearside wheel arch?, drawing air from the front grill. with little or no "ram" effect. The later "copyist(s)" fitted the Rad to the traditional Front of the car, which required the fitting of Electric fans.

Pete

4 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Now, those of us who remember the early mini`s will be aware that the radiator was placed "East West",  where the flow of cooling air came only from the Fan. which (if I am right) expelled air to the nearside wheel arch?, drawing air from the front grill. with little or no "ram" effect.

That's right - there was a hefty grille in one wheel arch... must find a pic. It was passenger side / NS. That takes me back a bit! I suppose you could argue that air entered via the front grille and exited via the radiator into the wheelarch, propelled by the fixed speed fan but it worked perfectly well.

7035043395_43d2ebf340_b.jpg.c88cc6868289e471fcd938a87d5d232d.jpg IMG_5031-e1359246612325.jpg.86254061929b9121b53625ddd9cfe315.jpg

On 07/01/2021 at 19:19, PeteH said:

Assuming that the Cooling system is clean and working to spec; of course. Then fan assistance should only be needed in more extreme conditions. Under way the ram air through the rad is more that adequate, occasionally even too much.

I agree with Pete on this matter, but also add that at car speeds above 30 mph / 50 KPH, the ram air's angle of attack on a fixed blade fan means it takes hardly, if any, engine power at all to turn.  Certainly things like the alternator or dynamo, and the water pump consume considerably more. 

Although I do like viscous fans, I've chosen to stick with a fixed blade fan on my Triumph because it's the ultimate in reliability and maintenance free.  I have however swapped the original and crudely shaped aluminium 4-bladed fan, with its steel hub, to a much better shaped and very much lighter-weight 6-bladed plastic fan (from a later model of Triumph, so it was a straight swap).  Indeed the plastic moulded fan is 1/5 the mass of the car's original fan.  And it is of course also very much lighter than a viscous fan.

Personally, I'm not in favour of adding an additional power drain on the battery, nor of an electric fan buzzing away when the engine is turned off.  Usually the bracketry and extra wires are ugly, and then there's more to go wrong with its thermal switch, a timer, and the manual override of an electric fan.  Those situated in front of a radiator core are said to block the air flow to some degree, and some cars don't have the space to fit an electric fan behind it.  The electricity it consumes does of course need to be replenished via the generator, so quite possibly they're not quite the power saver they are made out to be. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PeteH said:

those of us who remember the early mini`s will be aware that the radiator was placed "East West",  where the flow of cooling air came only from the Fan. which (if I am right) expelled air to the nearside wheel arch?, drawing air from the front grill. with little or no "ram" effect.

The ram effect (high pressure) works in conjunction with a lower pressure ..of where the air is extracted from.  In the case of the mini, the air pressure under the wheel arch was lower than that just behind the frontal grill - so, even without a fan, the air is still sucked  through the shrouded radiator core (..at least it would be ..if its shroud was fitted much closer than that of the red mini !, seen in the piccie).

Modern viscous fans are quite a thing. Both thermo- controlled and electrically controlled by a PWM signal which (99% sure) heats the core of the fan so it stiffens up and draws more air through - this part of the system is to pull air through largely for the AC condenser which doesn't affect engine temperature.

we had a a hub and fan test rig for truck warranty ,upto a 32" unit a whopping great motor fan cage heat gun for the valve bimetal coil and a plotter 

add to that ear defenders  , it would often break loose from its rawl bolts in the floor and try to chase you around , violent noisy , and took so long to run through its  temp range of tests and plot air hub rpm etc  we just accepted the claim  ....much the simplest option  not as much fun as rejections  

Pete

On 06/01/2021 at 19:18, PeteH said:

us "po boys" a piece of card board!!, otherwise the old "smiths" round heater (in posh cars) never got up to heat!.

In winter I use a "posh" piece of that black plastic, sort of corrugated sheeting, that builders use to protect floors. Less visible than That "common" cardboard.