Fixed fan or go electric..

wimpus

Surely the answer to the problem in the mini would have been to turn the engine round so the radiator was at the front like all proper cars. OK I'll get my coat . . 🥴

About 10 years ago I looked round a local gathering of classics and there was a 'young' owner with what he said was a very early mini. Being much older myself I was able to point out that original minis had sliding windows, a bit of string to open the doors, no heater etc.    Plus I remember them being launched. Boy did I suddenly feel old.

6 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

IIRC there was a 'fashionable' handle you could buy to replace the wire and customise the interior.

Dick  

It was an extended chrome handle with nice piece of wood on the end to replace the wire. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-NOS-CLASSIC-INTERIOR-DOOR-HANDLES-Accessories-BMC-AUSTIN-MORRIS-MINI-Mk1/254800801975?hash=item3b534fb0b7:g:rpUAAOSw78BfDrzP Like these, but with wood were the posh ones

Tony.

I recently used a variably speed vehicle electric fan for the first time. It is designed for 24V trucks unfortunately. Rather large & the five pin connector is around 50 quid. Made by Spal. I suspect all EV cars have them.

Never had a problem with mechanical fans. They were always replaced with electric. lol.

And now it went all bad... 

New bonnet was wet inside of coolant incl front of engine and rad..

Whole night to find looking, testing to find the leak.. 

Rad cap seems to be at fault, but still not right...

Now to look for parts locally because with Brexit etc 🙄

20210111_171853.jpg

• Sad 2

From my experience its a head gasket failure :(  I fitted a new one and it failed in a few miles - another replacement has been fine though. Both Payen though teh first one when inspecting it, there was a bit of damage between the waterway and the cylinder - either me or at manufacturing stage. I would like to think it wasn't me - but can't rule it out!

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

From my experience its a head gasket failure :(  I fitted a new one and it failed in a few miles - another replacement has been fine though. Both Payen though teh first one when inspecting it, there was a bit of damage between the waterway and the cylinder - either me or at manufacturing stage. I would like to think it wasn't me - but can't rule it out!

Strange that mine lasted 5 to 6 months and 6200 miles (yes she gets used ! ).

mayo in the rocker cover is not abnormal , and generally just cold air condensing moisture , nothing to do with head gaskets 

its quite rare for coolant to enter the sump , most remains in the combustion zone and remember combustion pressures of a few thousand Lbs

can leak gasses into the jacket well before the coolant at 7/13psi can leak into anywhere 

are you sure the smoke was not just condensation in this murky weather ?

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

mayo in the rocker cover is not abnormal , and generally just cold air condensing moisture , nothing to do with head gaskets 

its quite rare for coolant to enter the sump , most remains in the combustion zone and remember combustion pressures of a few thousand Lbs

can leak gasses into the jacket well before the coolant at 7/13psi can leak into anywhere 

are you sure the smoke was not just condensation in this murky weather ?

Pete

It is for sure HG.

Never had it smoking so bad.

After standing at trafficlights, drove on with a heavy foot and could not see the car behind me anymore !

Checked compression all had around 175psi.

Exept 4 is 165psi.. but not bad.

But when turning the engine on the starter without plugs in, white smoke coming out of no.4 

And again water pissing out if the overflow/rad cap.

So im pretty sure its HG...

• Like 1

On 11/01/2021 at 19:57, Anglefire said:

That does look to be a decent bit of kit - but I'm keeping mine standard - the adage of it aint broke don't fix it springs to mind!

Hello All

It looks like they have copied mine?

My switch arrangement is better though as they come one at different temperatures! 

Plus I do not like those fixings that go through the fins!

Roger

Spitfire fans.JPG

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

As a controls engineer, I would agree with you, nice two stage cooling (Three if you include the passive cooling - which you should!)

Hello Mark

You probably clever at this than me (seat of the pants stuff and if it looks right chances are it is close?)

Under normal conditions only one fan comes on the few times the second one comes on (on its own) is Spain stuck on a motorway in 30+ degs

Or me hitting the over ride as I see the traffic stopping after a quick run!

Plus I think it helps for a quicker warm up! (and may give 1 mpg more?)

Roger

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/01/2021 at 17:48, rogerguzzi said:

Plus I do not like those fixings that go through the fins!

Which is my expensive Vitesse ally rad leaks.(me)

On my new Herald 1500 engine,i used one of the Chinese full width ally rads and left the mechanical fan in,it actually over cools.

Steve