Hardtop damage to rear deck

chrisbladen

Afternoon, just a quick query to see if any1 else has suffered with this...

When offering my hardtop up onto the car to check all repairs before painting, and VERY carefully setting it down onto the car, on removing it i have noticed it has caused a bit of damage to the paintwork by where it sits next to the b post capping(see picture). This is without it even being bolted down, must have just been from the weight of the hard top.

My question is, do the b post seals that go there stop this from happening? And if so has anybody got any idea what kind of shape, size and thickness they are...how far they go up towards the back of the car because i am going to have to fabricate something as there are not available from anywhere.

Thanks

16100211240284698578496798904407.jpg

There are 4 rubber blocks on the rear underside of the hard top. 2 are a foam consistency, the other 2 are hard rubber. I think these 2 have slots in and go around the fixing rear bolts. It's these hard rubber blocks that stop the hard top touching the deck. When I had my hard top re-trimmed (1980's), the trimmer forgot to fit them and I tightened and tightened. I stopped and walked around the back just in time to see the top touching in the corners. Removed and I was lucky - the merest "kiss" on the paintwork which only I could spot.

Cheers, Richard

9 minutes ago, rlubikey said:

There are 4 rubber blocks on the rear underside of the hard top. 2 are a foam consistency, the other 2 are hard rubber. I think these 2 have slots in and go around the fixing rear bolts. It's these hard rubber blocks that stop the hard top touching the deck. When I had my hard top re-trimmed (1980's), the trimmer forgot to fit them and I tightened and tightened. I stopped and walked around the back just in time to see the top touching in the corners. Removed and I was lucky - the merest "kiss" on the paintwork which only I could spot.

Cheers, Richard

Thanks richard. I am going to order those parts ready for when i fit it but Would this stop it touching at the b post though, as this is where the damage has occured rather than at the back.

Its as though i need something to lift the top at the b post which is what i was asking about the fitting 40 on that parts list you sent. These are discontinued though. 

Oh ... I don't remembering it touching there. Have you got the chrome caps on the B-post? Maybe it does touch there if 41 is missing. The blocks, from memory, are about 1/2" thick, so if you can find a spacer to simulate, you could see what difference it makes.

I didnt have the caps on when i put it so maybe that was why, i was only offering it up to see if i needed to do any more work to the hardtop before i paint it. Il try it with the caps on and see how it looks, then i could try and make some sort of 1/2" packer out of rubber for the b post aswell. Thanks

Ive got something silly going on if i post a reply on the laptop it disappears if i use the main PC its fine  

its left in the editor as if i never clicked submit 

so belated same conclusion 

Pete

there should be firm rubber buffer/spacers to support the weight , probably have to make some from 15mm rubber pads of sorts 

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-hardtop-sealing-rubbers