Cannot Reply using I-pad.?

PeteH

Hi,

Not the answer I’m afraid, but I can access ok on an “old” IPad running 10.3.3.

Can you access from Safari by inputting a general Triumph query that may push you through to the TSSC  site?

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I run nothing but Macs, Safari works perfectly.

My other half has a Macbook, which she really likes, but has recently been hit by a Safari update breaking the ability to upload files, including attaching anything to a gmail. I think she's on Mojave, rather than Catalina.

When the forum was last updated I lost the ability to post from our old Ipad 2, which is still running IOS 9.3.5 (won't take any more recent updates). I can view posts okay on it, but nothing else (except 'like' - the other emoji options don't appear either).

Gully

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gully said:

When the forum was last updated I lost the ability to post from our old Ipad 2, which is still running IOS 9.3.5 (won't take any more recent updates). I can view posts okay on it, but nothing else (except 'like' - the other emoji options don't appear either).

Gully

Exactly my Experience too. I often sit after lunch and "browse" (until I fall asleep!). For that the 2nd Gen i-pad mini is the ideal tool. IOS 9.3.5. loaded, worked OK, as you rightly say, until the last Forum update. Which is a real shame.

So, How about a "FIX"?, for us old git`s struggling on pensions? (cue violin!!). Can`t be rocket science?.

Pete

18 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

As mentioned, can you download Chrome?

Yes the I-pad has chrome, (but not Firefox, I use Yahoo) and I have tried access using both. The outcome is the same.

No facility to reply on either. Can`t see F-F making a difference but might try it.

Pete

Invision / IP Board appear to be dropping support for older browsers.

Unfortunately, NOT upgrading the Forum software when software/security patches are available is really not good practice, as it leaves the Forum vulnerable to hackers and other malevolent persons.

Some of you may have also noticed that since the last software upgrade the forum also doesn't support MS Internet Explorer properly anymore.

This is not something I can fix as its deeply embedded in the main operating system code.

The Big question is WHY?. They drop support?. The suspicion (rightly or wrongly) is that it is in the manufacturers (of the devices) interests (financially) to have redundancy. What is left is a whole raft of useable kit that cannot access area`s they have traditionally had access to. I do not subscribe to the "non backward compatible In the interest of security message". It`s just lazy programming IMHO.

Pete

It's all moving towards getting you to use Microsoft Edge, which on principle I'm trying to put off as long as possible - they keep bombarding me with suggestions to use it on the Mac.

I've just been made to use Microsoft Bing, which instead of finding me the Triumph Engine data I was looking for, instead listed a lot of sales and ads for completely unrelated items based on 'things you may like' and 'based on your recent searches'. That's not security, it's commerce, and monopoly... :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KevinR said:

Invision / IP Board appear to be dropping support for older browsers.

Unfortunately, NOT upgrading the Forum software when software/security patches are available is really not good practice, as it leaves the Forum vulnerable to hackers and other malevolent persons.

Some of you may have also noticed that since the last software upgrade the forum also doesn't support MS Internet Explorer properly anymore.

This is not something I can fix as its deeply embedded in the main operating system code.

I understand not even Microsoft recommend Internet Explorer any more.  Surely people who insist on using Microsoft browser can use Microsoft Edge instead.  Out of date browser are potentially insure and leave users vulnerable in the same way as using other out of date software.

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It's all moving towards getting you to use Microsoft Edge, which on principle I'm trying to put off as long as possible - they keep bombarding me with suggestions to use it on the Mac.

I've just been made to use Microsoft Bing, which instead of finding me the Triumph Engine data I was looking for, instead listed a lot of sales and ads for completely unrelated items based on 'things you may like' and 'based on your recent searches'. That's not security, it's commerce, and monopoly... :)

There are other MAC compatible browsers.  I used OPERA in the past.  Have a look at: https://browserhow.com/best-browsers-mac/

What "bugs" me?. The providers can tell you it`s insecure. BUT no one can or will explain WHY. My (simplistic) take is that you don`t get satisfied customers by shutting the door on them, shrugging your shoulders, and just saying just throw that away, and buy a new one!.

This is the guy that has just repaired a 40+year old Tumble Dryer. As far as I can see, it will be good for another 45!.

Pete

24 minutes ago, PeteH said:

What "bugs" me?. The providers can tell you it`s insecure. BUT no one can or will explain WHY. My (simplistic) take is that you don`t get satisfied customers by shutting the door on them, shrugging your shoulders, and just saying just throw that away, and buy a new one!.

If you dig deep enough you can sometimes find details of why some releases of software are "insecure", but more often than not, the software vendor (and the Security Services) would rather the reason was not published as it enables malevolent people to develop ways of attacking computers still running the old software.  One only has to see just how serious the Wanacry attack was to realise that using old unpatched software leaves one vulnerable to attack. 

• Like 1