Cannot Reply using I-pad.?

PeteH

26 minutes ago, KevinR said:

If you dig deep enough you can sometimes find details of why some releases of software are "insecure", but more often than not, the software vendor (and the Security Services) would rather the reason was not published as it enables malevolent people to develop ways of attacking computers still running the old software.  One only has to see just how serious the Wanacry attack was to realise that using old unpatched software leaves one vulnerable to attack. 

On that level, My Youngest Son, who does it for a Living, and cut his teeth at the "Home Office". Was quite impressed when he tried "Hacking" Mine. I sit behind a hardware and software firewalls and use a VPN part of the time. Slows stuff up a bit but probably worth it.

Pete

BT Broadband comes with McAfee Antivirus software thrown in, but it doesn't work properly on Mac. BT says it does, but a lot of user forums say it doesn't; despite numerous complaints, including from myself, BT are just ignoring the issue. I finally uninstalled it last week after getting totally fed up with some of the problems. McAfee say their engineers are working on the problem, but try reinstalling it, and if that doesn't work, reinstall your entire OS.

I dumped McAfee, donkeys years back, It`s worse than Norton was. Slows everything up. I`m currently using Webroot and have been for about 5 years. My Youngest boy, swears by it. Only yesterday I went to load a piece of software which seemed to check out OK. And it got the full Red Card. And a warning. So that was a no go. It auto flags all searches. According to threat level.

Pete

When I first got broadband, I bought a laptop and it came with McAfee installed. I put all my then usual software on... and discovered that McAfee terminally corrupted all outgoing email so that it could never be delivered. Maybe it worked OK with Lookout Distress but I uninstalled McAfee rather than suffer that piece of ....

We use McAfee work, what a pile of shite. Removes any semblance of performance from the machines.

Anyway, back to browsers. I ,think many are wary of Edge, after the rubbish MS had the temerity to release a few years ago.

Current one is Edge Chromium, and we will move to it at work soon, supposed to be OK, and MS are forcing our hand by stoping every,thing working with IE11.

I`ve, Migrated my E-Mail to Thunderbird (Mozila). been running it about 3 years now, some minor issues with setting up, but it has been OK, so far.

IMHO. Microsoft are so far up, they must be permanently in the dark!. I have Win 10 on all my newer Machines, all as Dual boot with Win7, which I prefer. The only time I run 10 is if I have software that won`t work on 7. Win 10 must be horrendously "buggy", every time you switch it on there is yet another update!. You cannot NOT update, only delay for a few days. You end up watching the stars endlessly rotate, drumming the fingers because you need to be working, not just watching.

Pete

"Off Topic". Regardless of what you presonally think about the Trump. Don`t you feel that the fact that Facebook, Twitter, Google. Et al. Can switch off the President of the USA. Is a dangerous precedent, from the point of view of "Freedom of Speech"?.

In my view it shows just who controls media, along with the mass T-V outlets, It is becoming harder to get to the true facts of many situations. I know it has been this way for some time, more especially since the advent of social media. But the current propensity for "massaging" the known facts. is IMHO very close to international Censorship?.

BTW, this is no argument, rather an observation.

Pete

14 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Win 10 must be horrendously "buggy", every time you switch it on there is yet another update!. You cannot NOT update, only delay for a few days. You end up watching the stars endlessly rotate, drumming the fingers because you need to be working, not just watching.

Pete

That sadly is the way of the "new" Win10, or Windows Evergreen as it is correctly known, apparently.

No more new versions ever, just a constantly mutating version of Windows, that updates everyday, even multiple times a day if needed. As everybody has ultra-fast broadband no-one will notice the constant updates.

I think MS want to be like Apple and change everything constantly to make the user experience better.

15 minutes ago, PeteH said:

?????? In their own Minds?

Pete

Going the same way as mobile phones; too many useless apps thrown in. You can check your bank balance, your weather, stocks and shares, listen to music, test your blood sugar level, temperature and calorie count, check for head lice and listen to music while watching movies and all from the comfort of your bicycle seat. I've got a 2011 iMac stripped back to the bare basics of Net, photograph viewing and word processing and I'll try to keep it that way.

I've come to agree with the more expert minds here: McAfee is rubbish, which is probably why BT include it.

BTW re Pete's post, I do think censorship even of Trump is not a good thing. Who decides who is right and worthy to be heard, and who should be cut off? Famous saying: "I don't agree with what you are saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". It's a slippery slope that only the 'woke' people will be heard and everyone else will be cancelled.

• Like 1

on the anti virus i just use window defender   ,so far no problems .  then would i even know 

both my machines are win10  but i run classic shell to make them look like a  desk top should be .

ive used thunderbird for years , the last upgrade this month has made it more complicated by moving things to where you dont want them 

like  BCC  address  tab , is not in the address pane    daft 

Pete

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Famous saying: "I don't agree with what you are saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

And a bloody stupid one, too.

I do NOT defend ANYONE's right to incite violence. A much better quote: "Freedom of speech does not include the right to falsely shout 'fire' in a crowded room"

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

And a bloody stupid one, too.

I do NOT defend ANYONE's right to incite violence. A much better quote: "Freedom of speech does not include the right to falsely shout 'fire' in a crowded room"

That's where it starts. Censor one, then censor two, then censor lots. It seems so sensible, and logical.

I defend the RIGHT, no matter if I don't defend what is said, because once you decide that someone's right to their ideal is less than yours, it all goes downhill from there. And who decides what should be heard, and what not? We're living in a country where our history is being eroded, changed, and cancelled, where we take down statues of great Britons and put up statues of terrorists, and everyone has rights. Except those who the ones with rights disagree with.

• Thanks 1

No, just.... no. People do NOT have a right to "ideals" or "opinions" that are blatantly and clearly WRONG and dangerous, as judged by society as a whole. Otherwise you have to defend their "human right" to murder anyone they don't like. That's the real slippery slope, the one you should actually be concerned about.

10 minutes ago, NonMember said:

No, just.... no. People do NOT have a right to "ideals" or "opinions" that are blatantly and clearly WRONG and dangerous, as judged by society as a whole. Otherwise you have to defend their "human right" to murder anyone they don't like. That's the real slippery slope, the one you should actually be concerned about.

No, now you're going to extremes. I never mentioned murder anyone, nor did Donald Trump if I recall correctly, and I'm no supporter of his.

Who is this 'society as a whole', to judge? The Woke Brigade? The Army of Trump supporters? Both no doubt think they're right, and everyone else is wrong. A large part of the World has in the past, and in many cases, are still, currently murdering or repressing people who they think are 'dangerous or wrong'. Are they right? It's a small move from censoring someone's voice to burning them at the stake; it's been done in the past. We must have the right to speak, and others the right to counter argument and protest, and explain why others are wrong rather than shutting them up, otherwise it becomes a dictatorship.

• Like 1

It used to be that one could stand at speakers corner, and say what YOU thought. Even that got lost in the recent past. Most of the early "Ban the Bomb" speakers started out there. Whether or not you agreed, Part of the issue IMV is of course the semi anonymity of distance found in current so called "Social Media" allows so called "trolling" without the responsibility attached of physical presence.?.

My concern centres around the fact that the control of these outlets is concentrated in the hands of a small number of exceedingly wealthy and by definition, powerful individuals who are de facto exerting power which should be reserved for the elected representatives. The same outlets failed to act in a similar manner on other earlier occasions thereby indicating at least some bias.

Pete

14 hours ago, PeteH said:

It used to be that one could stand at speakers corner, and say what YOU thought.

And you'd get moved on or arrested if you incited violence or law-breaking. Trump has been claiming he never incited anything but he did. He clearly invited that Capitol hill invasion. Freedom of speech must have limits and the law defines those limits.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

And you'd get moved on or arrested if you incited violence or law-breaking. Trump has been claiming he never incited anything but he did. He clearly invited that Capitol hill invasion. Freedom of speech must have limits and the law defines those limits.

I will agree with you there - you have the right to free speech, but accept the responsibility for it, and take the punishment for it with the same sense of justice, not of victimisation.

Now: whose round is it?

On 09/01/2021 at 14:02, PeteH said:

Hi

Anyone have any idea. as to why I can reply/post on my Laptop. but not when using the I-pad?

Pete.

One of the best discussions on the Forum for ages. However, Pete, are you back on-line OK now? 

Paul

ps No offence, insult, call to storm TSSC HQ or cull the CoM intended or implied by this communication.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, poppyman said:

it's Mr Angry the pc and woke brigade that want to rip everybody's head off

I've never seen a member of the "woke" brigade being that angry. Neo-fascist Trump supporters, yes, except they'd probably prefer an assault rifle to the manual labour of ripping anything.

The other side of the coin is non-violence, which is a lovely flowery tree-hugging term for getting your own way, in such a way, that the other side can't do anything or they're branded the aggressors. Remember Gandhi? HE personally killed no-one, but yet he started a movement, and although he never urged anyone to march on the Capitol, the relatives of the millions who died after India's partition must have looked back and wondered.

• Like 1

No, The i-pad will still not allow me to Post. I can do it from the wife`s (much) newer one running ios 14. And an I-phone 8. But mine (Ipad mini) cannot run anything later than ios 9.4. which was OK until the last remodeling of this site.😭😭. So I am limited to following/watching, if I want to reply, I have to come back here to the laptop.

To understand the American Psyche, I think you have to remember that the founding "fathers" had to take on the (then) might of the British, and only a fraction of the entire timeline of the British Isles ago, and in respect of that they wrote their constitution allowing that "defence of life and liberty" was enshrined to allow the ownership and use of weapons, (2nd amendment). To most Americans it is a cornerstone of their way of life. Vast numbers still go hunting (for food too) regularly and ownership and use of firearms is endemic and unlike “over here” is not viewed as something strange. In fact many Americans view us as weird for not wanting to own/use a firearm.

Pete

10 hours ago, NonMember said:

And you'd get moved on or arrested if you incited violence or law-breaking.

Some people in the UK did not get moved on or arrested for inciting violence (even murder) I seem to remember.

Must have been a good reason why they were allowed to continue.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

HI

An update on this, is the fact that the "Trump" legal mob. Found a shed load of those calling for his impeachment had similar sounding "Sound bites" brought back to haunt them. Which caused me a wry smile. Which reminds me of the old "saw" "don`t do as I do, do as I say".

Pete