Vitesse front window channel

Robin

I need to replace the passenger door window channel on my vitesse convertible - think Woolies might have something suitable but does anyone know what I need to ask for? Also, do I need to drill out the rivets holding the existing channel in place ?

BD212CD3-2EFA-426E-A9D3-9B6AA74B989E.jpeg

87FA5B46-F450-40C4-971D-3B8C54FFB1F5.jpeg

• Robin changed the title to Vitesse front window channel

Hi Robin!  I know "Rimmer Bros" sell the Channel Inserts,  but they are on back order!  I know as I have ordered a pair!  As for the Channel themselves, I had to make up a bracket as they had rusted out or broken on my 1600/6 Vitesse ?  They did have a used set on Ebay a few weeks ago!  

Cheers Martyn

3 minutes ago, NonMember said:

The inserts are available from all the usual suppliers - Paddocks or Canleys probably cheaper than Rimmers. I replaced them recently on my Vitesse CV and I think I do recall having to drill a couple of rivets out.

Rob - did you remove the old metal guide first of all ? How did you hold the replacement in place?

23 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Hi Robin!  I know "Rimmer Bros" sell the Channel Inserts,  but they are on back order!  I know as I have ordered a pair!  As for the Channel themselves, I had to make up a bracket as they had rusted out or broken on my 1600/6 Vitesse ?  They did have a used set on Ebay a few weeks ago!  

Cheers Martyn

Thanks Martin

Ordered from Canleys before Xmas and waiting for delivery when back in stock 

Dear Paul Harris,

This is an automated message to let you know we have received your order.

Your order number is: WEB42591.

We will write to you again when we have processed your order.

Thanks and regards.

Canley Classics
canleyclassics.com

2 x WINDOW RUNNER CHANNEL FRONT
Part No: 559474
Price: £5.58
Units: METRE
Availability: OUT OF STOCK, AVAILABLE TO ORDER
£11.16

2 x REAR WINDOW CHANNEL - HERALD VITESSE
Part No: T12
Price: £2.98
Units: EACH
Availability: IN STOCK

When delivery is completed I will update 

Paul 

2 hours ago, Robin said:

Rob - did you remove the old metal guide first of all ? How did you hold the replacement in place?

The original metal-backed-felt bit had to be ripped out, and it rather disintegrated in the process. The new one just pushes in, though a dab of mastic or evilstink wouldn't go amiss.

to rivet if using a pop rivet you will need to add a spacer to the gun nipple or it wont fit down into the channel  ]there are extended nipples ??  availalable

but a metal spacer will work     failing that a bifurcated rivet is easy diy

Bifurcated Rivets Split Leg Nickel Plated 3/8" x No 11

61W0ZyQ54nL._AC_SL1071_.jpg

if you need to remake the support rails or their brackets do photo sketch or you will get a right muddle of what faces where 

Pete

The replacement felt strip I ordered from Canleys a few years back came with a rubber backing. So pull out the old metal backed strips after drilling the fixing brackets out first. I seem to recall using small nuts and bolts to fix brackets back on. Then glue strip back in to retaining channel. I used EVO stick.

• Like 1