vaccination centres ??

just been looking for a 89 yr old neighbour who has to travel from luton to stevenage   mass vaccination centre   that had some  1.5 hour queues this week 

what i was amazed at is to improve things was they have increased the number of cubicles  from   ........4   to 12    think many would expect 20 + as a minimum 

if   4  is  Mass .............. we need lord beverbrook back  to drive things   

makes the light in the tunnel a bit Dim 

Pete

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At least Sputnik 5 will be easy to administer, a quick spray from a perfume bottle onto your door knob and your sorted for life.

BREAKING NEWS..........

It's funny how the Brexit agreement was 'the best of both worlds' for NI - no hard border on the island of Ireland, the implicit threat being that any kind of border infrastructure would be attacked -

Posted Images

I'm quote annoyed at all this hoohaa about the 'new mass vaccinations cenres'!!

I've been helping at just one of the two such centres in Lancaster/Morecambe, that have been running for the last two weeks.    Already over 40% of the over 80 and vulnerable people in the area have been vaccinated,and yesterday we were doing 70+ year olds and community NHS staff.     The patients are grateful, pleased and impressed by the excellent organisation (as am I - it's nothing to do with me!)      On two occasions that day, couples turned up when only one had been sent for - no problem!   We'll get you done now!     Queueing, by careful matching of throughput and appointment times, is minimal, less than ten minutes.    Local response, in newspapers and online has been appreciative and thankful.

These 'new mass centres' have a hell of an act to follow!

I wasnt having a moan about the staff or the  system just a bit surprised at the  just 4 cubicles for a Mass test station hardly bug busting  performance

what are the other 6 mass centres doing ? 

everyone has a hard job whatever trade or profession they are in with the hassle this chinese bug has given everyone .

hats off to them all 

everything new has to bed down but some decent starting blocks would help

Pete

I've needed to visit two different large hospitals in Leicester within the last week. Both have vaccination centres up and running. There were steady streams of people walking in and out of the centres and no queuing outside. Of course I can't say how many were getting jabbed per hour but from the outside, it all looked to be running smoothly. My 90 year old mum lives in a care home near Warwick; all residents and staff were vaccinated last week.

So far, the only thing I'm a bit miffed about is that Leicester Racecourse has dropped off the list of mass vaccination centres. It was part of the first group of mass centres announced last month and would have been the nearest one when my turn comes.

Nigel

Well I'm very proud of the vaccine rollout!!! 

Our friends just in their 80's have been vaccinated as have my wife's parents in their late 80's, all jabs done locally to them and no waiting. The system cannot be perfect for everyone and there will be the usual moaners and groaners but we should all look east to see how our neighbours are doing......

Israel is doing extremely well but then they allegedly paid a huge premium to Pfizer!

Iain

Pete's dyslexic typing strikes again! 

My in-law had two fingers sliced off in a perfect straight line while setting a blanking tool (he stepped back onto the foot pedal), he has problems typing!

Iain 

54 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Well I'm very proud of the vaccine rollout!!! 

+1

The UK is doing a great job of vaccination so far. Look at continental Europe for a comparison. It's always possible to find fault if you look for it, and our government has certainly made a number of mistakes in handling the pandemic.

It's early days in the vaccine roll out but the UK has made a good start. We now need to stick to the plan to accelerate vaccinations so all the most vulnerable are protected by mid-February, a per the government's target. Negative media coverage doesn't help.

Nigel

4 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

Negative media coverage doesn't help.

To that end my wife and I have stopped watching any tv news and government briefings. However tragic the loss of life is I don't need overcrowded hospitals shown on every news programme. 

Iain 

My office overlooks the Stevenage mass vaccination centre, so I can see all the comings and goings, and it has been amazingly quiet since going Live on Monday morning. 

With all the hype, we were expecting so much traffic we would have to close our main gate on Six Hills Way and use our side entrance on Gunnels Wood instead, but the reality of the matter is that there was less traffic going in and out of Robertson House than there were last week - even the Council traffic control marshals got bored and packed up early and went home.

30 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

thats good to know , so where did the 1.5 hour of cold waiting pensioners come from on monday 

there are many pictures of the queue  and the report about upping from 4 posts to 12  

maybe just a poor start , needs "running in "   !!

Perhaps many turned up without bookings hoping to get into the matinee performance ?

How is it that all the smaller center's are up and running smoothly, but the big gun's never seem to shape up? Maybe it is all false news, either way the NHS and it's army of volunteers get my vote. Too many chiefs again i think?

Tony.  

Part of an email from an Italian lady I book my holidays with.

"Italy is a bit behind: my parents told me that they have the vaccine, but run out of syringes already ( trust the italians !! ) and they want just and only the doctors

to administer it ... which it means that it will take forever... no comment .."

As she says no comment.

Regards

Paul

Last Monday (4th), Early am, Dog Walk I spoke to one of our G-P`s. (we live over the road from the Surgery) She said in reply to my enquiry, that they cannot cope with the Low Temp the Vaccine needs (Pfizer) But she was part of a team setting up in the old and allegedly now redundant Hospital In Driffield some 15 miles away. Scheduled to start vaccinating Last Friday. So far at least two of the wife`s friends have been "done". Both in thier late 80`s and one 96.

Pete

3 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Bin men should go up the list, we don’t want rubbish piling up!

Doug 

As with all of the other Emergency Services and frontline workers. It's mad vaccinating the ones at risk without vaccinating the ones who are looking after them, yet that seems to be the way of it, at least over here. 

Colin,

There is a conflict between the way that a clinician treats a patient, and how a public health doctor manages an outbreak of disease.    The clinician selects the best treatment for their patient and pursues it.     The PH doctor follows a course that will minimise transmission, and suppress the outbreak.   Those may not be the same, for instance, your malaria fever may be treated with aspirin, to bring down the temperature, but  insecticides to kill the mosquitoes will bring down the infection rate in the community.   In this case, vaccination will achieve both ends.

But both must seek to minimise death risk.   When certain members of the population are very much more at risk of death, then they must receive care first.      Front line workers are mainly much younger - although we have seen elderly health workers kiled by Covid, and of course many are from BAME backgrounds so also at risk - and now have the PPE means to protect themselves.       Vaccination as a PH tactic will treat the population and prevent death, but all cannot be done at once, and priorities must be set.    Like insecticide, you spray the marshes first, and here you vaccinate those with a greater death risk. 

And it's working - your turn will come soon!   My local vaccination project started two weeks before the much heralded mass vaccination centres that started this week.    It has already vaccinated 40% of the over 80s and vulnerable people in the area.   That continues, but on Monday at the centre where I help, we we doing the 70 year olds and NHS community workers.       Hospital staff are being vaccinated 'in house'.

The Gov are promising 2 million vaccinations a week.    We shall see if that promise is like all their others.    This one is driven by the might and ability of the NHS, rather different from ATOS or Capita, but even so, there are 60 million people in the UK, so 30 weeks means that the job canot be done in less than six months.

John

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

As with all of the other Emergency Services and frontline workers. It's mad vaccinating the ones at risk without vaccinating the ones who are looking after them, yet that seems to be the way of it, at least over here. 

Here in France firemen, ambulance crews & all medical workers aged 50 and over are being vaccinated now. I agree we need to protect all these workers quickly. 

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

The Gov are promising 2 million vaccinations a week.    We shall see if that promise is like all their others.    This one is driven by the might and ability of the NHS, rather different from ATOS or Capita, but even so, there are 60 million people in the UK, so 30 weeks means that the job canot be done in less than six months.

John

What about the fact that 2 doses are required, which means the time scale is in fact double. Hope you get all the doses needed and the syringes - a fake news story went out here the other day saying that one region was running out of them already. Maybe the reply that they had plenty of stock is the fake - time will tell.