Spitfire 1500 front exhaust bracket

Chris Bracey

There should not be a bracket to the chassis at all on a spitfire. The front bracket fits to the gearbox (and are often missing)

At teh rear there should be a bracket to the diff (originally used a little rubber bush, often uses a rubber strap which works well.) and then rubber mount off the boot floor, setup is model dependant. The most essential mount is the diff one.

Clive is correct there. NO bracket direct to chassis but a twisted metal one from gearbox to pipe. Have you had the car long? Must be really noticeable and noisey. I think these brackets are available but are also easily made. About 3/4in x 2-3/4in with 2 longish slots (5/16 drill) and twisted through 90 degrees.

14 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

NO bracket direct to chassis but a twisted metal one from gearbox to pipe. 

I wonder if the solid metal carries the vibrations? I've used versions which have been metal ended but reinforced rubber in between, again to dampen vibration. I like a support near the gearbox to help take the weight off the manifold, but not solid. This type goes under the clamp round the pipe so it doesn't need to be twisted and is simply cut to length with a hacksaw.

OIP.YvuXqzHezHy4LYogW_2akwHaHa.jpeg.fabcd74718b2337bb89627aa3b88b4b8.jpeg

I bought it back after selling it a year after i bought it new 40 yrs ago!  It has had a noise like the exhaust was touching the chassis. I tracked part of the noise to the rear box mountaed badly and have kept looking at the front bracket. Changing it to fit onto the gearbox makes perfect sense . Thank you. I thought the answer would be simple and it looks like an error the previous owner made after a rebuild. Has anyone got a picture on where on the gearbox  the bracket fits?

I think that the idea of the steel S shaped bracket connected to a clamp around the exhaust, is to stiffen the pipe from the inlet manifold where there are 2 or 3 studs depending on vehicle. The idea of the flexible one is good but might allow the pipe to flex on starting and eventually the manifold LOWER round gasket to fail? The whole system i s normally flexible towards the rear of the car but, as stated here it would work ok. Just my opinion I might add. 

Sounds good; as a support for the weight of the pipe against the manifold. I'd hope that if a flexible strap is fitted, which won't stretch or expand (so reinforced fabric rather than rubber), as long as it's the correct length and doesn't put any further stress on the system it should help in the same way. Only one way to find out I suppose!

It's a bit like adjusting the body on a Herald - raising the rear might lower the front, dropping the rear might raise it as it pivots about on the other mountings, and even playing about with the angle of the rear box can affect the fit (well Heralds and early GT6 anyway, the Spitfire might be the twin-pipe tranverse box?) so play about and see what gaps you can improve.