Replacement points

Paul H

1 minute ago, clive said:

and condensor.

Set the points gap, and yes, adjust timing. Job done. Worth checking you have all teh required screws, probably used on the accuspark anyway.

Thanks Clive , I hadn’t considered the screws so will check 

Paul 

1 minute ago, clive said:

Just the stupid sort of thing that could catch you out. You would be all smug "no problem, I have a set of points" to a distraught  "A&$£ I am missing a screw"

I’ll trial fit the points and condenser tomorrow and see if anything is missing 😱

Paul 

• Like 1

Good that I did a trial fit for the points as would have been a disaster on the road 😱😱😱

My Delco distributor D200 came fitted with electronic ignition . After removing the electronic parts I trial fitted the points only to find the condenser was too big to fit and there was no wiring . 
I purchased the points and condenser from SimonBbc ( Powerspark ) so emailed for advice . They advised by return I needed a wire from the points to the negative side of the coil and the condenser would fit though the bracket would need butchering . I found a smaller condenser which fitted ( no extra screws required) and made up a link to the coil . 
I checked for a spark at the plugs and all ok . I have now replaced the original electronic ignition using heat sink paste

6BE6AB68-005C-4C58-82EE-F118FE1481D0.thumb.jpeg.6b8f1e3dc580e7a757e964a20e3bf54a.jpeg

641F7A83-8133-42A5-A227-2B96D2DFFE9D.thumb.jpeg.5a1fd3c405987159e9f757044e7858e2.jpeg

66F877B5-26A1-4DCA-A128-8C9BB104C5F2.thumb.jpeg.4eca9ce65583f87e476aad439c2c3e15.jpeg

Paul 

NB i assume if I had want to run my Vitesse using the points , I would have moved the engine to max opening of the points and then rotating the distributor to the mark which is currently 10 BTDC

Dont understand that last comment Paul, after fitting points I turn the engine to 10º BTDC WITH the rotor arm pointing to number one lead of the dizzy cap and then rotate the dizzy until the points just start to open. I can do this by eye on the road side and it runs well enough to continue on my journey....

• Thanks 1

Paul

I see you have a standard (possibly aftermarket) rotor arm. Quality can be an issue with carbon black used to colour the plastic and some are a very loose fit on the shaft.

Red rotor arms are available from Accuspark for the Delco distributor. I have used these in recent years and the fit is very good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AccuSpark-Red-Rotor-Arm-for-Delco-4-6cyl-Distributors-Triumph-Vauxhall-Bedford-/170930011146

Might be worth considering.

Ian

12 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

Paul

I see you have a standard (possibly aftermarket) rotor arm. Quality can be an issue with carbon black used to colour the plastic and some are a very loose fit on the shaft.

Red rotor arms are available from Accuspark for the Delco distributor. I have used these in recent years and the fit is very good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AccuSpark-Red-Rotor-Arm-for-Delco-4-6cyl-Distributors-Triumph-Vauxhall-Bedford-/170930011146

Might be worth considering.

Ian

I had an Accuspark one originally but the rivet became loose so tightened the rivet and it’s now the spare !

Paul 

18 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

Hello Paul,

Following on from Ian's point, Martin Jay - Distributor Doctor - is starting to stock some items for Triumph / Delco set-ups, such as the correct condenser. It may be worth asking if he stocks his excellent range of Red Rotor Arms for your application, just to have an additional choice.

Website: Reconditioned Lucas distributors, rebuilt Lucas distributors, recurved Lucas distributors from Distributor Doctor

Regards.

Richard.

Couple of observations Paul:

Its quite interesting to check the timing with your strobe of cylinder 6 which of course should be exactly the same 10º BTDC.... 

Also when I tried to pull my trigger ring off the dizzy cam it came apart as its top plastic ring, which is glued on, came away. This allowed the little very powerful bar magnets to jump out and stick together! It then took me ages to get them back into their slots in the ring (you have to hold each in place until the top is replaced) and even longer to realise that the trigger is polarity sensitive🤪 Yes I first had to work out whether it was North or South that operated the trigger, then find that pole of each of the six magnets and finally get them all back in the ring the right way round! Learnt some patience that day and needless to say the ring is very well glued on now.