Fox and headgasket ....

wimpus

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

I guess they were more concerned about fish than Triumph spares when they negotiated the deal.

I am surprised no European supplier does them though.

Hopefully you can quickly engineer the modification for the void, should stop the gasket failing again.

Seems the PH2 cams they do sell.

Or around the same profile.

But no PH1.

Making the bush can be done at work/school in the motorcycle class ;)

As everyone here I do hope this is a blip and can be sorted out as it is in everyone's interests both EU and UK. 

So if at the moment there are import taxes on goods not wholly made in the UK (I know this country of origin percentage is reducing) from the UK to EU does the same apply if I bought parts from say Bastuck Germany and the part originates from say China? 

Surely the agreement works both ways? 

Iain 

37 minutes ago, johny said:

The VAT part seems clear enough but I cant understand how the import tax on items going between UK and Europe is going to be worked out and at what stage. My take on it is that if it has been wholly made in the UK or EU then theres nothing more to pay (Brexit agreement) but if part of it has been brought in from outside then someone has to calculate the import tax that generates. I think this will be highly complicated and probably just be a tax on the value of the complete item which the customer wont know until it arrives!

The VAT aspect is straight forward - not paid on export paid on import. For example I buy from , say, Rimmers, at their Ex VAT price then pay French VAT on arrival here. No import taxes as such.

The complications come with things such as cars assembled in the UK coming to the EU. If over 55% of the value is of UK origin then no tarif to pay. If it is less than 55% then there are import tarifs to pay. For the moment the deal is giving the UK 18 months, I think, to increase UK value content. With cars it is currently around 35/40%. To be honest I don't know if EU produced parts going into a UK assembled car count or not.

All very complex, no winners only losers.

Last week travelers arriving at the Hook of Holland from the UK had their sandwiches confiscated. The reason is that meat and dairy products are strictly controlled now that the UK is outside the EU as they are for other countries. M&S food shops in France, there are a few, have been out of stock of their famous sandwiches for this reason.

Yes I would think so and I cant see anyway round it because its to stop the UK for example, signing a trade deal with China and importing stuff from there with no import tax and then sending it to the EU also with no import tax. If this happens the item will be a lot cheaper than the same thing coming into the EU directly from China because, if they have no trade deal, import tax will be due....

The only way out of this situation is if UK and EU have the same trade agreements with other countries in which case we might as well have not left!

I know some EU companies have set up distribution centres in the UK to overcome tarrifs and any returned goods. The same argument applies to UK companies, financial services being one sector although their agreement is yet to be sorted. 

Early days and Covid hasn't helped. 

Iain 

16 minutes ago, poppyman said:

I knew about a customs charge, but not the handling fee :( 

Tony.

Havent had much if anything from the USA, since I sold the R-V. But prior to that there was always a charge when the R-M had to take import duty payment, "to cover administration costs". There are work arounds but they involve being "economical with the truth".

11 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Havent had much if anything from the USA, since I sold the R-V. But prior to that there was always a charge when the R-M had to take import duty payment, "to cover administration costs". There are work arounds but they involve being "economical with the truth".

When i sell to states i get asked to be economical :) Although postal cost's are now very expensive.

Tony.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johny said:

Its surprise costs that gets me and when having to work out the percentage of an item to calculate import tax I can see some blinders coming...

It`s frustrating, but the rest of the "non EU" world have been having it to do for years. IMV it`s all part of the Tradeoff. Regardless of how one voted, those who thought about it at all could see this was coming, those being caught out are the ones who went with the "it won`t happen", "so we won`t bother scenario". For whom I have little or no sympathy. To be fair my biggest personal issue now I am fully retired, would be if wanted to spend the Winters in Spain, as we once did. I would now be restricted to 90 days.

17 minutes ago, poppyman said:

When i sell to states i get asked to be economical :) Although postal cost's are now very expensive.

Tony.

Yes, we send (say) a Birthday Card to Texas. It costs me £2 or more for postage. We got one from Texas (aniversary). The postage was 85cents. R-M are a total rip off.

One of the more frustrating things, I have a personal liking for Wrangler Jeans, The US ones are far better quality than "over here". In the past I ordered and paid for them sent to my Son in Texas, who then packed them with his gear when he travelled, as he always managed to visit us "en route"  . As with 90% of US business they are not flying. Result, no new ones any time soon. (or crap Euro ones).😭

Really hijacked the thread now!!. Sorry guys.

Pete

1 hour ago, johny said:

'To be honest I don't know if EU produced parts going into a UK assembled car count or not.'

No anything produced in UK or EU is ok its bits from outside than are the problem. I didnt know about the 55% rule and does that apply to everything?

Yes I believe so

20 minutes ago, PeteH said:

To be fair my biggest personal issue now I am fully retired, would be if wanted to spend the Winters in Spain, as we once did. I would now be restricted to 90 days.

You can stay more than 90 days, you just need a visa which makes things a little more complicated.

Look at it from this side of the chanel, from October I will need a passport to visit the UK even for a day, ID cards no longer being accepted. I can travel throughout the EU with my ID card, which is free, so why would I want to spend 86€ for a passport. I am sure there will be less EU shoppers going to the UK for the sales because of this. I also think the number of school trips will drop as well, ok the passports are cheaper for the 15 -17s and cheaper still for the under 15s. but there is the hassle factor as well.

Don't start me about Northern Ireland which is now in limbo - neither in the EU nor completely out of it. We were told it would be the best of both worlds, and a great advantage; all I've seen in the past fortnight is problem after problem, and all caused by EU red tape. I'm now getting parcels with Customs Declarations as although we're still in the UK, we're also still in the EU, so no-one has thought it through as to how the regulations would address this. Some couriers are refusing to deliver to NI due to endless red tape; other suppliers are just being lazy and quoting fantastic figures they've plucked out of the air - once again I'm being quoted prices for carriage that are almost twice as high as the value of the goods. If I can do it cheaper, well then send a Courier from your side to collect.

Supermarket shelves are visibly empty - rice, fresh foodstuffs, other consumables (Kelloggs Frosties!), and the big chains are putting up notices about how they're 'working on it' to keep supplies flowing. In the past they performed a loop - Scotland, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, back through Wales to depots in England. Due to delays at Northern Ireland ports bringing produce in, and delays getting back out through Dublin, they've decided it's not worth it any more.

The In-laws were trying to send completed orders to Nass outside Dublin this morning; there was so much red tape on the Courier's Customs Forms they've asked if I'll drive the 90 miles down with the completed work. It may actually work out a lot cheaper, as I have the Insurance green card allowing me to drive over the border. I'll do it just to get out of the house...

33 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Sending stuff out is far easier than getting it in... there'll be no customs fee as it's within the UK; it's only goods coming in that require Certification and there just isn't the manpower or resources to do it.

That's good news, Thanks Colin.

Tony.

8 hours ago, PeteH said:

HI.

Having looked now at the other post, I can see where the issue lies. There is little or no support for the Gasket at that point, and the seal is relying entirely upon the Torque spread sealing the fire ring. Any, even minor, distortion in the Head/Block interface will show up the weakness. I can see now why the other poster filled them.

As they are "allegedly" just blind holes to assist the O-E machining process, why have the hole punched into the gasket anyway, IMV it only weakens the gasket?. Does anyone do a Head gasket without the holes.?

My interest comes from the fact that in order to investigate a low compression Pressure on the 13/60 Engine, I am going to have the head off and it will be interesting to see if the same holes and gasket arrangement apply there also?.

Pete

Pete - the holes are not punched into the gasket; what you see in the pictures is a near perfect circle of the gasket material that was over the jigging hole burned away, as it had no support  nor heat sink from below.  This is on a normal Payen gasket.  I think the same holes are on 1300 blocks as well (although I'm prepared to be corrected?) , but are not such an issue as they are not recessed blocks like the 1500 and late MkIV.

Wim - Some googling of this problem led me to a US website for MG MIdget 1500 racers having the same issue and using valve guides inserted with epoxy and then machined flush with the top of the block. Gareth Thomas also advocates doing the same.

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

You can stay more than 90 days, you just need a visa which makes things a little more complicated

That is interesting. As it is not what is being reported on the Motorhome sites I inhabit. The general concencus of the interpretation of the rules is Max 90days (can be cumlative) and then 180days before a (further) return to the Shengen area`s. I will have to investigate further.

I still have a US Visa which allows 180days per visit. Providing you return to your domicile country, and then come back!. Something along those lines for the EU, would be an aceptable option.

I am very much in favour of Passports. They are harder to forge and getting harder still, than I-D cards. Sadly in the current climate we have a serious need of more, not less, control of movement.

Pete

19 minutes ago, PeteH said:

I am very much in favour of Passports. They are harder to forge and getting harder still, than I-D cards. Sadly in the current climate we have a serious need of more, not less, control of movement.

Pete

The French ID card isn't too easy to forge as it has some built in protection along the lines of a passport plus my finger prints were taken at the same time it was issued, local town hall. Mind you by the time it needs renewing I doubt the photo will be accurate. New card issued 2017 valid until 2032.