Hi from Bristol

Hi, I'm Keith and I've owned a succession of various Triumphs since the early 80s. I currently own a 77 Stag and a stalled 1360 Herald restoration. Whilst I am still working from home during the pandemic, lockdown 2 has given me the impetus to restart the restoration of a Herald 1360 I started back in 2005. The car has been sat undercover for a good 10 years now, so I have been going back over everything that I'd done before. Previous work included a chassis strip and rebuild, all rust repairs completed and the dashboard stripped and relacquered. The car had an incorrect and worn 1150cc. So I rebuilt a 1300cc with new ancillaries including carburettor, alternator conversion and electronic ignition. Life and other cars got in the way and it sat neglected for many years. A lot of the work done before seems to have held up well. I'm now cleaning back to bare metal and epoxy priming all the outer panels. During the weekend I managed to get the engine to fire up for the first time in 10years. I doubt it has run for more than 30 mins since it was rebuilt. Lots of problems to work through. Carb is flooding and leaking fuel and timing is way off. As an initial call for help maybe someone can shed some light on why my timing light won't flash on this engine. It works fine on both my aircooled VW camper and the Stag. Both the Stag and the Herald have electronic ignition and silicon plug leads. So I don't think that is the problem. Looking forward to connecting with you all.

As aquired in 2005

Herald1360.thumb.png.6bdd87d02f6ef9fc9fcef59453a2600f.png

Hi Colin. I think the 'simple' here is me as I've never had a problem with it before. It's a Gunsen 4133. The heavy duty one with the dial advance. I've tried all the plug leads including the king lead in both directions. Would normally connect to #1 pointing the arrow on the inductive pick up to the plug. Must be something like a weak spark or something blocking the signal. It's certainly got me stumped.

Keith,

Have you tested the timing light with another vehicle SINCE its not been working on the Herald.

I have a Gunson 4123 Supastrobe timing light (big and very heavy duty), and the pickup on it failed when it was about a year old.

A new pickup (under warranty) and it was good as new again - I've had it now for about 30 years, but not needed to use it for quite a while now as its quicker and easier to set the timing statically. 

I checked and confirmed it as working on my other cars at the weekend. Its a 1970 model so positive earth. Electronic ignition, silicone leads and control box bypassed for alternator conversion. Electronic ignition module can only be connected the correct way or it blows up. Ask me how I know. Expensive mistake. I've had this car for 15yrs now and havent worked on it for about 10yrs. So its quite possible I did something stupid way back along. 

OK so here is the update. The weekend arrives and I can finally get back to the Herald. Tried substituting a lead from the Stag and still did not work. Then new leads arrived so I used one of them on #1 plug. Nada. swapped out the king lead. Nada. I replaced all leads with the new set and hey presto timing light now working.

So now I can move on a bit. The fuel mixture was set up with a Colourtune but will likely still need further work. The engine can only start on full choke but ran for a while on Sat warming up so I could accurately set the timing. Then it unexpectedly conked out. I discovered there was no fuel getting to carb. So checked and cleaned the pump this morning and now able to start again. I finally got the engine to run again and thought my problems were over. Then after about 5 mins running, it started to miss and then conked out again. It appears to start and run OK when cold but as soon as it starts to warm up it starts to misfire and then stops. I did wonder if the coil was failing but primary resistance is 1.5 Ohm and secondary is 9.7K Ohm, so it appears good. And then the carb overflows. Carb is actually a new item. I've lost count of the number of times I've removed it, cleaned the needle valve, and checked the float height (18mm). Oh, and the rad now looks like it's sprung a leak.

So this is where I'm at now. https://youtu.be/GQOww64SnWU . I grabbed my phone and shot some video as it started to misfire. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get back to this for a while. A front spring on the 75 broke earlier in the week which I'll have to replace next weekend.

A coil with resistance of 1.5 ohms would be for a system with ballast resistor which I wouldnt have expected your car to have. You can test which set up it has by turning on the ignition with the points closed and measuring the voltage to earth of both terminals. You should get 0v on the side going to the points and around 6v on the other. If this second reading is battery voltage ie over 12v then you have the wrong coil and need one with a resistance of 3 ohms. Obviously dont leave the ignition on too long like this as the coil will get hot.... 

Keith,

Missing, carb overflow, conking out smacks of the dread rubber slivers and/or debris in the fuel jamming the reservoir valves sometimes open, sometimes closed. Do you have a fuel filter? If no, get one, best place to fit is just before the fuel pump. Some people have a second just before the carbs. The slivers are deterioration of the insides of the rubber fuel line caused by disconnecting/reconnecting the carbs and fuel line. Sounds unlikely? It's not, it's very common, Last time I had my carbs off 3 times in quick succession before I eliminated the little buggers! 

Doug

Strange that it keeps on running for so long after the fault starts. If it was fuel starvation it should have conked out completely. It's hunting alright, but it's the reason why it keeps on running, appearing to clear regularly - in fact too regularly - makes me wonder about the cause.

Just wondering, if you have looked at the plugs when it starts misbehaving. I once fitted an air filter upside-down, which blocked the air flow (I think gaskets also wrong could do this) on Twin carb Vitesse. It would run fine for 3 miles or so and then just bad.

If I'd looked at the plugs, then it would have been obvious (rather than gradually changing all the ignition system), one carb was over fueling/not enough air (in this case air), which would have eliminated the ignition system.

Not so, on a singe carb.

I'm no expert, though maybe give an idea?.     

Edited by daverclasper

So just to remind everyone, this car is halfway through a full restoration and hasnt been on the road since 2005. I just want to get the rebuilt engine running well before I pull everything apart for paint. I have a Powerspark electronic ignition system installed so will have to replace the points to do the test Johny suggests. I checked the Powerspark site where I bought the electronic ignition and they do recommend a 3ohm coil. So it looks like I may have the wrong coil. The fuel pump was full of rubber bits and its quite possible its fouled up again. I only have a jerry can rigged up as a fuel supply at the moment with no filters. Long story short, back in 2005 I had the idea of moving the fuel filler to the centre of the rear deck. The Spitfire tank I fitted needs a clean internally which is one of the reasons why I'm using a temporary plastic jerry can. I'm trying to decide whether or not to revert this modification. 

Nipped out to the garage earlier to test the coil and got 11V on the +ve side and .5V on the -ve side. So will swap it for a 3 Ohm one. Will clean the fuel side again and add filters when I get a bit more time and fingers crossed, I should be back in business.

and if you fit a 3 ohm coil you need to bypass the resistive feed to get a full 12v supply 

if the coil is fed by a dirty white/pink  its a ballast wire   you need a replacement  feed  from the ign.  switch 

feed a 3 ohm coil with 6 v and you reverse from too much HT to having very little HT 

feed a 1.5ohm coil  with 12v and you double the HT and the amperage so rotors condensers and cap all give out  and

if electronic  have a good chance of frying it 
pete

57 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

and if you fit a 3 ohm coil you need to bypass the resistive feed to get a full 12v supply 

No, he's fitting a 3 ohm coil because he doesn't have a resistive feed

On 25/01/2021 at 15:11, Keith M said:

Nipped out to the garage earlier to test the coil and got 11V on the +ve side