TRiumph touring plans ?

Bfg

Hello all,

I'm thinking that this would be a good time to route plan some road trips ..for when the current dangers and lock-down restrictions are lifted.  I'm thinking in terms of the UK to start off with, and only when the car is 'proven' reliable - I'll then head across to continental Europe. 

I'm thinking of staying in inexpensive country B&B's mainly, but taking a tent with me so that I can camp, where allowed, in isolated places of natural beauty.

A few years ago, I read in a magazine of a fabulous motorcycling route along the north-eastern coast.  So I'd particularly like to visit Ireland in an open-top Triumph.  I've never been to Ireland, so don't know whether a low slung 1960's sports-car like a TR is still appropriate.?  Otherwise I might only imagine that off-the-beaten track rural Ireland is rather like Cornwall ?  Surely the Emerald Isle has many places worth going-well-out-of-the-way to visit.   

I live in East Anglia and have thoroughly enjoyed Suffolk countryside for riding my vintage motorcycles.  But to be honest I've only every holidayed in the Lakes, in Wales or Scotland - a few times in a lifetime.  Otherwise I've only fleetingly been through other places in England when on business. So I really don't know the UK at all.  I probably know my way down to the Black Forest in Germany, or down to Valencia in Spain better !   

My choice of stead is to be the TR4A, but carrying luggage, tools, consumable & spares for a month or six weeks of touring in any open top Triumph will need some serious thought ..and perhaps a few clever ideas to make the best of what spaces we have.  Anyone ?    

In any case, perhaps some of you might share any unexpectedly great routes and places to stay you've discovered.  Perhaps a photo or two too ?

Thanks, Pete.

Did scotland in 2019 as part of a small group. a (rapid) 2.5pi saloon, a stag and our spitfire. We did the west coast of Scotland, absolutely marvellous. Some lovely roads, stayed in some not inexpensive hotels/castles, ate in brilliant restaurants/pubs etc. No complaints, except a prop uj seized a few miles from teh last hotel, so recovered home the next day after breakfast. Strongly suggest May for Scotland. No midges.

We have done a few european and indeed UK jaunts with CT, but they can be "busy" with plenty of driving in a few days. Wonderful trips though. I may have some routes, but essentially google "european best driving roads" and that covers it, with sections joining them together. 

Afraid nothing specific, but these cars are entirely capable to long fast trips, and cope with poor roads OK. A spitfire is about the least suitable triumph, but we cope fine. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bfg said:

A few years ago, I read in a magazine of a fabulous motorcycling route along the north-eastern coast.  So I'd particularly like to visit Ireland in an open-top Triumph.  I've never been to Ireland, so don't know whether a low slung 1960's sports-car like a TR is still appropriate.? 

I don't think climate change has affected it that much, so the sun does shine like it did back then when the TR was new, and the roads might even have improved in some areas, but not many. You can still see the bits of cars that dropped off back then, waiting to be collected. We were down in Carlingford a while ago, nice weather and good roads, but be sure you have your Insurance Green Card these days. 

Up here in The North, UK rules still apply so no Green Card needed and pounds still do for me, thank you very much. Try a short break up along the Causeway Coast, one of our favourite areas for club runs.

DSCF7183.thumb.jpg.0478317a15f3dd2f77f96b817c274dc4.jpg

DSCF7188.thumb.jpg.6e7f3cf93a5b3750914954ae8262c558.jpg

• Thanks 1

We (SWMBO and I) did Scotland in the Vitesse in April 2019 - Edinburgh, Inverness, Mull, Sterling - some great roads and lovely country. We stayed in excellent hotels or B&Bs and ate in brilliant restaurants and pubs. The only problem the car gave us was a bit of overheating triggered by a hard uphill overtake while the throttles weren't aligned (the clamp had slipped).

OnMull.jpg.0a6dba6904fa5629af8f33de49046f90.jpg

The rest of the Cambridge area also went to Scotland the same week (or perhaps the week after) to do the north-west coast and islands. They drove a lot faster and stayed in cheaper places but only one of the cars had a problem (and it was predictable which one).

I haven't been to Ireland since I was a lad. Must take one of the Triumphs over there some time.

• Thanks 1

In 2018 we went to the Gordon Bennett Rally and extended the trip with checking out sections of the Wild Atlantic Way

AE0E33F1-C639-440F-9929-AFEBF54A2CD1.thumb.jpeg.9cf52a4948f3b69b6558a36e970ba01f.jpeg

This pic taken County Clare , some of the roads we’re challenging !

To help with planning we used 

C6EEF934-B4BC-46CD-9788-3ADFAD049B94.thumb.jpeg.5d37ae68f4c7e2490fec16f8cb5422a3.jpeg

There’s a book for Ireland and many other countries . Try Amazon and purchase second hand as it’s likely to be well thumbed by the time you finish .

I f you choose Ireland I can let you know the route we took plus B & Bs we would recommend.

Paul 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JohnD said:

As well as having the interest here, with the 13/60 under refurb: We also enjoy the use of our Motorhome, and I frequent several Motorhome interest web sites too.

In recent years, it (NC500) has become something of a "thing" for the owners of Motorhomes, to the extent that despite a welcome from the Scottish "tourist" industry there has been a rash of complaints about the behaviour of some visitors. As example, we went to Skye in `17 and getting camping was, to say the least, "not easy". I understand the Skye authorities are contemplating a rationing system?.

There was also a lot of complaint, re: "waste disposal". But that IMV, is just another manifestation of the "Great British Unwashed", who will infest any pastime with their selfish, gross, and anti-social behaviour.

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

As well as having the interest here, with the 13/60 under refurb: We also enjoy the use of our Motorhome, and I frequent several Motorhome interest web sites too.

In recent years, it (NC500) has become something of a "thing" for the owners of Motorhomes, to the extent that despite a welcome from the Scottish "tourist" industry there has been a rash of complaints about the behaviour of some visitors. As example, we went to Skye in `17 and getting camping was, to say the least, "not easy". I understand the Skye authorities are contemplating a rationing system?.

There was also a lot of complaint, re: "waste disposal". But that IMV, is just another manifestation of the "Great British Unwashed", who will infest any pastime with their selfish, gross, and anti-social behaviour.

Pete

When we did Scotland we saw lots of campers parked up overnight in laybys. or even pub carparks. I assumed campervans were into the "free" overnight stops rather than campsites? (certainly when we had a camper in NZ we did alternate nights on sites, showering in a campervan is a PITA)

In some ways a smaller camper would be a good way of touring Scotland, something transit sized. Or even Galaxy-based, though they are a bit compact. Downside is the sheer distance to get to Scotland. When we were recovered it was 600miles on the nose to get home. But up there a camper that drives a bit more car-like would be a huge advantage, especially as many of the best places require use of single track roads.

The other thing was the number of Americans in hire cars, and indeed campers, cluttering up the roads. Made driving frustrating at times, with only a few making space for us, and others, to overtake. The rest probably regarded us as impatient hooligans, which is far from the truth. Flippin inconsiderate to hold huge lines of traffic up when there is a queue behind you. When we were in California there is a rule, if you have 3 cars behind you, you MUST pull over and let them pass. (that may be USA wide? but I like it!)

However, I expect Pete(H) is one of the people whi are aware of people behind him. Most classic car drivers who travel are very good at that sort of stuff.

16 hours ago, clive said:

Afraid nothing specific, but these cars are entirely capable to long fast trips, and cope with poor roads OK. A spitfire is about the least suitable triumph, but we cope fine. 

A Spitfire is more suitable than a TR6, you can get more luggage in the Spitfire.

I ha ve heard stories of very bumpy roads South of the border in Ireland, if true I would be concerned for my low slung exhaust on the TR. 

Perhaps Colin can confirm the state of roads over the Irish Sea.

24 minutes ago, clive said:

However, I expect Pete(H) is one of the people whi are aware of people behind him. Most classic car drivers who travel are very good at that sort of stuff.

Yeh?? Well. I don`t go anywhere very fast these days. If we get a longish train on a non dual road, I generally elect for "comfort stop". I lost track of the miles I did at "warp speed" when trying to earn a living in the South West in the 80`s and 90`s. I gave up after nearly killing myself on the A303, late one afternoon, when I woke up heading for the Armco!.

If you like the USA. I have video footage taken by Mrs P, from 2004, where I am driving Highway One from San Simeon to San Fransisco, in a 28ft R-V. That`s a Bit hairy, In front at one point, of me, is a 3 Axle 40ft "Coach" R-V towing a trailer, What the Yanks call a "Toy Box". Usually a car or several Buggys`, Or Harleys?. Watching that baby go around the bends is to say the least "interesting!". All I got from herself, "was watch the road!".

Pete

Plus 1 for Ireland, North and South.

I ha ve heard stories of very bumpy roads South of the border in Ireland, if true I would be concerned for my low slung exhaust on the TR. 

Some main roads are brilliant.  But after I returned from a 3 week tour with loads of NVH I was able to tighten all the body mounting bolts by about half a turn.  Ground clearance not generally an issue except the occasional hump-back bridge.

C.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

When they are good, they are very very good, and when they are bad, they are horrid, as the poem goes. EU money seems to go towards huge motorways, which are modern and well-tended, and the smaller roads are left in a state. If you go towards the wilder areas, you'll find they're wild for a reason. The roads in the North are much better; you used to be able to tell when you crossed the border by the roadnoise suddenly changing.

Anyone see Henry Cole and his 'World's Greatest Motorbike Rides' on Quest last night? He started in Galway (actually Dublin Airport, 170 miles away) then motored up the coast to Sligo; he was totally fed up both at the weather and the state of the roads which he stated were no better than farm tracks in places. Things were so bad that he actually nipped across to the Isle of Man for a motorbike race before resuming, although I was slightly mystified that on his return and crossing into the North he passed within 15 miles of the Joey Dunlop Centre and Memorial Garden, but ignored it to visit a spade mill... however his highlight, helped by good weather that eventually appeared, was the Giant's Causeway. A very patchy program that completely ignored the scenery for the last twenty minutes and just focused on the non-motorbikey places he visited. It's almost as if he ditched the bike and continued in the support vehicle as it wasn't seen at all after Sligo; it's possible that he didn't bring it back after the IOM section.

• Like 1

A Spitfire is more suitable than a TR6, you can get more luggage in the Spitfire.

I wonder how true that might actually be ?  Although the TR6 is a bigger and squarer car, but I recall from my MK2 Spit that there was a surprising amount of space within the interior because the seats were very skinny, the lift-off hood & its bows was compact, and there was a parcel shelf and deep foot-wells. The boot was deep rather than long but there was a lot of space under the bonnet (if only you could secure things).  Mind you it was 40 years ago that owned that car ..so my memory might not be as accurate as I'd like to think it were.   Conversely the TR6 foot-wells sit on top of its chassis rails, the seats are deeply padded, and the fold down hood takes up a lot of space.  I must admit the TR4 - 6 don't seem so very spacious, but perhaps I've grown broader to fill the space ! 

But the TR suspension is more compliant I think. On the border raiders trip somebody had a switch fall out of their stag dash. A raer brake caliper lost a bolt on my spitfire. Gill commented her fitness tracker thing reckoned she had walked many miles while she was sat in the car, such were the regularity of the bumps. The 2000 and stag were complete luxury compared to teh spitfire. Though being gluttons for punishment, we plan to take the spitfire again. Unless the weather looks poor, in which case we may take the Toledo as long as the "new" sprint engine is in.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paul H said:

In 2018 we went to the Gordon Bennett Rally and extended the trip with checking out sections of the Wild Atlantic Way

Thanks Paul, I've heard of the Gordon Bennet Rally and from the briefest of looks at the website link you kindly provided it looks to be a classic and vintage car show tour.  I wonder how I'd get on with being organised and having to conform.. but then for just four days I guess I might manage to behave, and it might be fun to join the party.   However I've never heard of the Wild Atlantic Way, and that is now on my bucket list, as long as I remember to pack my walking boots too.  Such incredible scenery makes me want to go back to flying light aircraft.  B)

Thanks for those gems,  Pete.

18 hours ago, clive said:

We did the west coast of Scotland, absolutely marvelous. Some lovely roads, stayed in some not inexpensive hotels/castles, ate in brilliant restaurants/pubs etc. No complaints, except a prop uj seized a few miles from the last hotel, so recovered home the next day after breakfast. Strongly suggest May for Scotland. No midges.

I've been to Oban once, which I think was the year after I left school ! ..early 1970's !  Oban is a very odd place to me, with its famed for being unfinished building being really quite ugly, but perhaps that's because it rained for the two weeks and the architecture seem so black.   Nevertheless, the atmosphere among ruins along the coastline was something special, in a haunting sort of way, because of the mist.  We did stop at restaurant en-route and, aside from being entranced by a truly gorgeous rosy-cheeked waitress, I had the best steak ever.  In my mind it'll be worth going back just for that sort of dining experience.  But in an open top car I'll have to be flexible in the dates - so as to choose the weather more carefully.

36 minutes ago, Bfg said:

However I've never heard of the Wild Atlantic Way, and that is now on my bucket list

Watch the Henry Cole episode. He hated it, and spent most of the program trying to be positive about the place. The bike (a Triumph) seemed to be the best part of the experience.

Season 16 episode 4 of the Worlds Greatest Motorbike Rides.

Some of the roads we encountered on TSSC runs nearly shook the fillings out of my teeth, and became an ordeal rather than a pleasure, but the main roads were ok.

• Like 1