Nice Vitesse at Mathewsons

Paul H

Looks very nice, a lot of discussion about this one on the Vitesse International Facebook page.

Will it be purchased like so many by a dealer then re-appear again?🤔

Looks to a good standard of restoration, with very good panel fit, I suppose the lack of Salt over there as helped preserved the panels.

It will be interesting to see what it sells for, the estimate seems about right.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/01/2021 at 12:38, NonMember said:

At D-reg it will have originally been a 1600, but that's a Mk2 engine, probably from a saloon

When was the 2000 Engine introduced then?. Mine, XGH 465G was Oct 68 and 2 litre original. But everythting else including the Grill and Headlamp shrouds are the same including Vittese 6 on the boot?

As far as this car?. Anyone know what the outcome was?.

Pete

The 2L was introduced in late 1966 at E-reg. By 1968, yours was a late Mk1. It would have had the same grill and headlamp surrounds - they didn't change until the Mk2 - but it would NOT have had the '6' badging when it left the factory. The 2L would have had a rectangular badge with a big 2 above a small "LITRE" instead of the '6' on the boot, and another like it in the centre of the front grill. It also would not have had the Triumph ("Standard") shield  on the bonnet.

My current Mk1 2L convertible is a 1967 (E) but has been rebuilt with all the 1600 badges at some point in the past. I do have its original grill with the 2L badge but it's not fitted. My first car, VPL173G, was a late Mk1 saloon and still had all the correct badges.

13 hours ago, NonMember said:

The 2L was introduced in late 1966 at E-reg. By 1968, yours was a late Mk1. It would have had the same grill and headlamp surrounds - they didn't change until the Mk2 - but it would NOT have had the '6' badging when it left the factory. The 2L would have had a rectangular badge with a big 2 above a small "LITRE" instead of the '6' on the boot, and another like it in the centre of the front grill. It also would not have had the Triumph ("Standard") shield  on the bonnet.

My current Mk1 2L convertible is a 1967 (E) but has been rebuilt with all the 1600 badges at some point in the past. I do have its original grill with the 2L badge but it's not fitted. My first car, VPL173G, was a late Mk1 saloon and still had all the correct badges.

So what you are suggesting, and as far as I am/was aware the 2L engine was O/E?, some of the badging was in error?. We know the car was never "shunted" nor otherwise damaged, suggesting the boot lid was O/E? likewise the Bonnet. (both definitely the same colour originally, no sign of any colour change, so worst case, would have had to be from a similar vehicle) Of academic interest of course at this distance in time, but intriguing.

Pete

46 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Apparently the Mk1 2L came in Sept 66, without the "6" Badge" and are the seat belt fittings correct?

Correct for an early car; I think the later mountings on either side of the centre tunnel came in around 1967. This one seems to have sold, but no mention of the final price.