Electric Cooling Fan or Not?

Roy

I'm just about to finish my Spitfire build and need the form's recommendation on whether to replace the std engine cooling fan with an electric fan mounted on the radiator. 

Engine is a 2.5L TC. 

Radiator is a GT6 recon unit.

I have a 9" dia cooling fan which I could fit. Is this big enough? 

Many thanks

• Like 1

Get the basics right first. Make sure you fit the rad cowls as a priority (But I suspect you have!)

There are various quality fans about, it has come up on a kitcar forum recently where a cheap fan was struggling but  a spal fan, same size, sorted the problem in an instant. Likewise position of said electric fan is important, on my spit I have the whole assembly off a golf which is great as it sucks air through the whole rad , on my2L  toledo it is attached direct to the rad, seems to work OK on the driveway, fan cuts in and out perfectly, but we shall see.

How long until completion?

Thanks Clive, so I'll assume it's best to fit an electric fan rather than retain the standard fan. Cowls not fitted yet, but of course they will be.

As for completion, missed this summers target, so later this year most likely. Assuming my knackered knees hold out.

Tricky to say really.

The advantage of the manual fan is it stirs the air under the bonnet all the time. 

Downside are power use and the fact they are going slow when you need them most.

The vw one on my car has 2 speeds, a slow one that cuts in early, and then if the temp rises it comes on at full speed. Quite an elegant solution. (more luck that judgement to be honest!)

Dont know if a 9 inch fan is sufficient,i have a Spal 11 inch sucker mounted on the rear of the rad on my 2.5 Vitesse.The rad is aluminium though.

It does suffer from under bonnet heat when sitting though so i fitted a manual switch in the cabin as well so i can turn it on before the thermo switch kicks in.

You can see it in my avatar pic.

Steve

Turns out the fan I have is 10" dia. Have fitted to the suck side of the rad now and also I did fit a manual switch as well. Will be interesting to see how it all works in due course.

If it turns out not to be good enough, I'll go down the Golf radiator route with twin fans which I know other Triumph 6 cylinder engine owners have done.

Roy

• 3 months later...

Hello Roy

A bit of a late reply but this is the 2 9" fans I fitted to our Spitfire1500.

The dual sensor switch turns the right hand fan at 83dec C and off at 78deg C and the left hand one at 88deg C and off at 83dec C (looking from the front)

I fitted an override switch to turn on one or both.

We went to Spain this summer and down at Jerez it was 35/40deg C and only one fan was needed (except when I panicked at first but then left it to control its self)

Roger

post-44-0-51448700-1446493991_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-09196300-1446494005_thumb.jpg