Just inherited my late Fathers' Triumph Vitesse - looking for advice

Hawkus

My Father sadly passed away this week leaving behind his much loved cars - a 1971 Spitfire (that my Brother wants to keep) and a powder blue and white Triumph Vitesse.

The Vitesse is fairly special as he had owned it from brand new and is also confirmed as the old surviving coupe model with a registration date of 02/06/1962 and chassis number 91.  The Reg number is 503 ACD

Sadly, due to a long illness leading up to his death, both cars had become a bit neglected for the past couple of years.  The Vitesse still starts, runs and drives nicely and generally in ok condition (no rust), the paintwork is very faded though and needs a re-spray, various cosmetic bits need doing (chrome very pitted, rubbers perished etc).  Will get some photos later to upload.

So. Questions...  As I've known this car my whole life, but don't have the room or time to keep it, would you think a museum such as Beauliea or similar would be interested in it as a donation?  Failing that, any idea on value (including the reg number)?

Any ideas / advice appreciated

Paul

Hi Paul,

Why not simply sell it.

Most motor museums already have a good selection of Herald/Vitesse etc. They may not be too interested if it needs money spent on it. But then, it is worth asking if that is what you want.

Regarding keeping it but you do not have the room - have you got any space that the car can sit on. If yes, then there are inflatable bubbles (Carcoon) that work very well.

Good luck

Roger

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear the sad news of your father's passing, Paul. 

I am sure that a one owner Vitesse coupe would be a popular car to sell even in a neglected condition and perhaps donate the procedes to a charity in memory of your father.

Just my personal feelings but I always feel rather sad seeing cars in museums rather than in use on the road.

Nick

• Thanks 1

It's always sad when a lifelong enthusiast passes on, and we lose all the experience and accumulated know-how.

Best thing to do, if you can't keep the Vitesse yourself, is to make sure it goes to a good sympathetic home; someone who will get it back on the road where it belongs and use it with care. Advertise it as for sale to a good home only - and Triumph Clubs are the best place for that, as opposed to just small ads - but just one small query: I don't remember the Vitesse as a coupe in the UK, so it's either a prototype, in which case very rare indeed, or else a Vitesse convertible with either a Herald coupe roof or a hardtop added. I could be wrong, but I think the Vitesse was only ever a saloon or convertible, with other variants such as the estate being special order or owner conversions. It still doesn't detract from an early Vitesse, which is certainly worth restoration; someone always wants one!

Any chance of a few photos?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if you have club membership?   (or join to place an advert) 

the club classified ads are free and aimed at enthusiasts

with some photos we can probably advise a value 

many AO do valuations for insurance purposes , sales values are around 2/3 rd of the replacement value 

there are download valuation forms on the main  club web page you can have a look yourself to get a rough score for value

Pete

• Thanks 1

Paul,

Sorry to hear about your dad.

If you can't keep the motor in the family, (I would regret not hanging on to it one way or another :() selling it would be the best option. This sort of car is going to go to an enthusiast, maybe through a dealer, but eventually will be looked after which is I think is what you want. I notice through the dvla web site it's taxed and you say it's a runner, there's a classified section on here and running Vitesses are going for £7k  to £10k. 

Doug

• Thanks 1

From the MOT history the mot expired in March 2020 , to get the best price would suggest getting this done . The MOT history shows significant mileage variations which would need explaining to a potential buyer as currently the mileage doesn’t make sense unless the speedo was changed regularly 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

Paul,

Searching the Beaulieu website, it seems that they do not have a Vitesse!   https://nationalmotormuseum.org.uk/?s=Triumph+Vitesse

So maybe they would be glad to discuss your generous donation!   Their contact details are at the bottom of the page, and includes a contact form and list of Collection staff.  I would suggest directing your email to Andrea Bishop, the Director of Collections & Engagement.

John

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the replies.  Much appreciated.  My brother and I managed to get both cars started and have brought them to my home this afternoon.  I intend cleaning them tomorrow and making as presentable as possible as we plan to drive them to the funeral service on 19th February before deciding their fate.  I had mistakenly described the Vitesse as a Coupe when it's actually a saloon.  (I'd never been too involved with my fathers hobby so sadly don't know much about these cars at all - I do know that at some point in the past it had a 2L straight six engine installed in place of it's original 1.6).  I've no idea why there is such a discrepancy with the mileage / mot's but will look in to this.  After speaking with my Mother today (who technically now owns the cars) I'm fairly sure that we'd like these to go to an enthusiast rather than sitting in a museum.  Will join up next month and advertise it on the website if that's ok?  Would appreciate opinions on price point.

Thanks again

Paul

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

• Like 1

I would check the chassis , especially the outriggers as these are susceptible to rust , also check the boot plus the drivers , passenger floors , also wheel arches . A good clean and polish could remove some of the rust stains .What did your Father tow ? 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

Odd bits of TLC but she should sell easy 

there are a good few additions which if you dont know we can help with a list 

such as  solex carbs swapped for may be SU  need a better shot (this can add 12bhp to the power output)

gauges , overdrive, woodrim stg wheel ,sports exhaust , replaced seats ,alloy rocker cover  wire wheels 

all add to the plot

Pete

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paul H said:

I would check the chassis , especially the outriggers as these are susceptible to rust , also check the boot plus the drivers , passenger floors , also wheel arches . A good clean and polish could remove some of the rust stains . Does the Vitesse have overdrive ?

Paul 

I intend to get it on a ramp and find someone to give it a good once over before I drive the 10 miles to the burial ground so will have a chance to check.  Yes, it does have overdrive.  Dad had made a number of additions over the years (extra dials on the dashboard, tow bar, different seat) so would imagine this will lower the value as not totally original.

Paul

7 hours ago, Hawkus said:

My Father sadly passed away this week leaving behind his much loved cars - a 1971 Spitfire (that my Brother wants to keep) and a powder blue and white Triumph Vitesse.

The Vitesse is fairly special as he had owned it from brand new and is also confirmed as the old surviving coupe model with a registration date of 02/06/1962 and chassis number 91.  The Reg number is 503 ACD

Sadly, due to a long illness leading up to his death, both cars had become a bit neglected for the past couple of years.  The Vitesse still starts, runs and drives nicely and generally in ok condition (no rust), the paintwork is very faded though and needs a re-spray, various cosmetic bits need doing (chrome very pitted, rubbers perished etc).  Will get some photos later to upload.

So. Questions...  As I've known this car my whole life, but don't have the room or time to keep it, would you think a museum such as Beauliea or similar would be interested in it as a donation?  Failing that, any idea on value (including the reg number)?

Any ideas / advice appreciated

Paul

That must be Ron?? If so I am so sorry to hear this sad news. 

I remember going to the Dutch spitfire weekend with him and one of you, probably 25 years ago? And I think I supplied the engine in the spit, after the one from the local trader was no good.

Yes, I have fond memories of your Dad. He always called my wife "Mrs Clive", which was genius.  I will pass the news to Martin, your Dad used to service their boiler, but knew him from the local club meets. I shall raise a glass....

2 minutes ago, clive said:

That must be Ron?? If so I am so sorry to hear this sad news. 

I remember going to the Dutch spitfire weekend with him and one of you, probably 25 years ago? And I think I supplied the engine in the spit, after the one from the local trader was no good.

Yes, I have fond memories of your Dad. He always called my wife "Mrs Clive", which was genius.  I will pass the news to Martin, your Dad used to service their boiler, but knew him from the local club meets. I shall raise a glass....

Hi Clive

Yes it is Ron!  He'd been a member of this club for more years than I can remember so probably a few more who will remember him.  It was my Brother Gary who went to the Dutch Triumph meet in the 90's and one of the reasons he wants to keep the car.  I would regularly go along to the local meets and classic car shows where the Spit and Vitesse would stand side by side.

All the best, Paul.

Hi. If you do the TSSC, then I understand you can get a valuation done pretty cheaply?, though not sure if that's happening with Corona, I think I read they can be done with photos, though I'm not sure on this, so need to check.

I think the valuation is for insurance purposes and the resale value would be less, though hopefully give an idea?.

Dave

4 minutes ago, DanMi said:

I'm a little disappointed as the original post said it was the earliest surviving Vitesse coupé, which would have been really interesting and rare. Still worth saving

I did give a heads-up to Dave Rumens before the photos were posted and it was revealed as a saloon; however that chassis number of 91 must be very early indeed. What's the earliest surviving Vitesse that we know of?

HI

Curious, When did the 2L Engine, replace the 1.6. Our Old (2L) Vittesse had the Vitesse 6 on the boot. But was 1968 (G)?. But retained the "Slotted" Headlamp Cowls, which I thought where changed on the later ones?.

Pete

image.thumb.jpeg.a71206cc9c52fbfa974381f02f320ae7.jpeg

On 31/01/2021 at 17:19, Colin Lindsay said:

I did give a heads-up to Dave Rumens before the photos were posted and it was revealed as a saloon; however that chassis number of 91 must be very early indeed. What's the earliest surviving Vitesse that we know of?

I believe that is the earliest saloon. Is there an earlier CV?

the only vitesse coupe produced appeared recently, with confirmed identity. I think it was up for sale...

And I gather both the vitesse and spit are now running etc. Which is fantastic news. The vitesse apparently drives nicely and is lively. It has a 2L engine fitted.