Just inherited my late Fathers' Triumph Vitesse - looking for advice

Hawkus

Yes the 1.6 and 2L did have different ratio diffs and the best way is to look underneath at the diff serial number (although even then the internals could have been changed). I think your car is probably a very late Mk1 with the rear label changed rather than a 1600 which has had an engine change because the latter stopped production in 1966 and would have to have sat unregistered for almost 2 years. There should be various ways to tell such as the chassis number or the components fitted like the brakes which were upgraded for the 2L model....

44 minutes ago, johny said:

Yes the 1.6 and 2L did have different ratio diffs and the best way is to look underneath at the diff serial number (although even then the internals could have been changed). I think your car is probably a very late Mk1 with the rear label changed rather than a 1600 which has had an engine change because the latter stopped production in 1966 and would have to have sat unregistered for almost 2 years. There should be various ways to tell such as the chassis number or the components fitted like the brakes which were upgraded for the 2L model....

1600 diff had teh small bolt square flange for the prop, and big bolt flanges for teh 1/4 shafts. Though the 1/4 shafts were the small size inside the diff. They also had teh same brakes as teh 2L model, just the fronts got upgraded for type 12 to 16 with larger disc (and quite straightforward to do on a 1600)

3 hours ago, PeteH said:

Our Old (2L) Vittesse had the Vitesse 6 on the boot. But was 1968 (G)?. But retained the "Slotted" Headlamp Cowls, which I thought where changed on the later ones?

A 1968 is a late Mk1 2L, so it had probably had its boot lid replaced at some point (or just the badge - they may fit?). The headlamp cowls didn't lose the slots until Mk2 (and ISTR not the start of Mk2 production either).

Thats intersting, and acedemic of course as we sold it back in the early 90`s. It`s currently Sorned (DVLA). With last Change of owner shown as 2012.? Originally white, (all panels) I had it resprayed for "herself" to drive.

Pete

I don't know the full history of the car as Dad bought it more than 10 years before I was born!  I do know that when the 2L engine was fitted in the 70's he also upgraded all of the trim / headlight surrounds etc to make it look like a mark 2.  These were all put back to standard again some years ago but not sure if any remnants (badges?) remain on the car.  One interesting point is that the chrome badges between the rear windows and the back windscreen say 'Vitesse'. I believe models from 63 say 'Triumph' but may be wrong about this.

I also have to correct some inaccuracies written by myself earlier in this thread - as stated, this car was bought by my Father many years before I was born and with him not being here to ask, I had relied on my poor memory and scraps of paper available for reference.  He actually bought the car in 1964 when it was 2 years old so it's a 2 owner vehicle.  I also made an error with the chassis number, it's actually No. 122 but have found a document from English Motoring Heritage confirming this is the earliest surviving saloon and the build date was May 1962 (which is strange as the information I had says they weren't in production until June 1962??)

Apologies for the errors! Hope the above clarifies more on the cars history and thank you for all who have helped / commented.

All the best

Paul

I miss her  the need of 4 doors was the downfall of a right rorty whiz bang 

a 4/1964 car not many of that age where ever we went she was the oldest version but you beat it by a couple of years 

has Dave confirmed the earliest recorded runner   ..........  maybe  get a badge made up 

Pete

• 2 months later...

It sound as if it could be the oldest Saloon. But, you have to remember when I took over the Vitesse Reg job in 2003 Dick Plumridge, then Club Archivist, already maintained all the Vitesse records and I had very little to do with this and held few records. When the Club had to shut down the records due to the Data Protection Act that was it. As a result I can only guesstimate from past knowledge of what cars I have seen out there.

It was a great shame as Dick always provided a great service and articles for our members. 

Thanks,

Dave

Vitesse Reg Sec