GT6 replacement wiper switch

rulloyd

The original wiper / washer switch on my GT6 seems to be like hens teeth.

Mine has the metal body unlike the spitfire variety that has a plastic body.  The pump works fine but I have lost the faster of the two speeds.

I bought a 2nd hand spit switch but it would not work (same number of terminals) and wired correctly (although the connectors themselves were different).  Not sure if it was broken or something is different?

Anybody been able to use the spit switch successfully or ideas for an alternative please?

Many thanks for any advice.

Rich

The closest I've been able to find is actually in the USA, picture below. How does that compare with the original?

155495x-switch-wiper-1b_GWW117_1.jpg.6ad19e71f1773ed8f074aeb9c038084e.jpg

Holden sell a similar version but with a push-system with two terminals for an electric pump. This one below appears different to the Spitfire version I've just looked at:

155495-rotary-wiper-switch-2-speed-3-position-off-on-on-push-for-washers-2265-p.jpg.ad4a293faa3a4761660605cb368b1185.jpg

Haven't found any genuine GT6 versions yet.

all you need to change the bellows pump to electric is one of these switches  IE bell push  not push on push off 

but cant find one yet ?? 

up till 89 we used a twist push as triumph but the bellows replaced with a simple push contact switch that screwed in place of the pump 

cant find them either  

Press Switch 2 AMP  Push Switch White

Same as the Holden version, then - if you look closely you can see the threads where the bellows would have been, with the small on/off switch screwed in. Same as the top pic I posted but without the bellows...

BTW Pete your photos haven't been loading recently, unless you're deliberately posting pics of small blue question marks?

I converted my Vitesse one by removing the bellows and fitting a push switch for the washers in the aluminum container similar to Pete's option, the only issue is its easy enough to push the knob in to make contact and spray water but there is too much friction with the hex shaft going thro the main original wiper switch body and the electric contact doesn't easily automatically push back requiring the knob to be manually pulled back, the return spring in the washer switch isn't strong enough.  

12 minutes ago, rulloyd said:

Wasn’t there an article in the courier  where someone used a pressure switch that actually used the air pressure from the bellows to activate the switch.  Very clever

That’s correct . I’ve connected the bellows to a Hoover pressure switch which turns on the washers . Originally this conversion was down to Darren Groves 

Paul 

Threaded section looks to be the same length; it's the thickness that differs, but the thinner Spit version can be bulked out to fit a larger hole by using a rubber grommet.

11 hours ago, rulloyd said:

Can anybody think why a spitfire switch may not work for a GT6 (same colour wires and terminal count) or did I buy a broken unit?

Can't think of why, unless the terminals are in a different order - are they marked in any way, or can you test them?

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Threaded section looks to be the same length; it's the thickness that differs, but the thinner Spit version can be bulked out to fit a larger hole by using a rubber grommet.

Can't think of why, unless the terminals are in a different order - are they marked in any way, or can you test them?

I have a pic of the spit unit wired and it appears to be the same except the GT6 has a double green into one terminal.  From a quick scan of wiring diagrams, I think the GT 2nd green wire feeds the motor where on a Spit the same connection on the motor travels directly from a different power source.  So I don’t think that would make any difference.

top pic GT, bottom spit

1E1E9498-89D3-4F6B-9B30-4C5310E7EB4C.jpeg

9A5513C3-6DBB-41EE-A46B-C97674699F85.jpeg

Thanks for that Peter.   In theory it should be fine but I bought one of these already and it didn’t work.  I’m not sure if it was broken or the spit switch is not compatible with the GT6 mk2.  Be interested to know if the GT6 mk3 had the same switch as the 1500 spit?