Single brake master cylinder / twin system

warrenk

Hi All

I have a Spitfire Mk 4 with a single brake line master cylinder and was thinking about changing it to a twin one from a later 1500 one, not sure if the retaining bracket is the same?

As the previous posts on master cylinders they are many types so would use the most common one.

Thanks for the help

Keith

There are two different part numbers for the mounting bracket on single line brakes (146413) and tandem (148156) but they look identical, so I'm not 100% sure of what the difference actually is. Some mountings have a strengthening bar that runs across the rear but I've seen it on all different models, so that's no indication of the correct version, and some also sit at a slightly different angle, but no doubt those in the know will be along shortly to confirm. Don't forget you'll have to put a large dimple in the bulkhead to take the new assembly. 

DSCF1154.jpg.50002137f508be042bc3301a13bf8a66.jpg

• Like 1

The brake master cylinder bracket on Heralds and Vitesses is identical to the clutch one, but the Spitfire and GT6 one is at a different angle so that the reservoir clears the bonnet. However, I don't actually know whether the tandem master needs a different angle again. The two numbers Colin quoted are the same as in my Mk3 GT6 parts book.