Bell Semi Sports Exhaust System

rogerguzzi

Hello All

I am thinking of not refitting the 6 branch manifold and drain pipe exhaust back onto our Vitesse Mk1 2Ll

I have ported the head and it is on 9.5 to 1 compression

It has a Chris Witor 25,65,65,25 can with extra lift on both lobes and will have radiused stub stacks it has a Chris Witor reprofiled inlet manifold as well.

I have fitted a 3.63 diff and reconditioned and refitted the O/D gearbox for relaxed cruising (70/80 mph) at 3000/3500 rpm

All my reading seems to point to 6 branch making extra power higher up the rev range and lots of heat(I have a 4 branch in Spitty and lagged and it is still bloody hot!)

We are hoping to tour in this car in HOT counties so not sure I want the extra heat?

Plus we like climbing up mountains passes(in the car not that mad!)

I would like a bit of noise as the 6 cylinder sounds nice but refined!

So what are the collective thoughts/Experiance?

Roger

ps it also runs Megajolt  electronic ignition so can be set to rpm and Manifold pressure and does not wave about(rock steady)

I notice you say Semi Sports, is that because you don't want a SUPER loud Full Sport? When I was looking to replace my standard exhaust I went and listened to a lot of club semi and full and found that some semis were actually louder than full.  Others on here say that too. So go listen to some semis!

Doug

1 hour ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

I am thinking of not refitting the 6 branch manifold and drain pipe exhaust back onto our Vitesse Mk1 2Ll

I have ported the head and it is on 9.5 to 1 compression

It has a Chris Witor 25,65,65,25 can with extra lift on both lobes and will have radiused stub stacks it has a Chris Witor reprofiled inlet manifold as well.

I have fitted a 3.63 diff and reconditioned and refitted the O/D gearbox for relaxed cruising (70/80 mph) at 3000/3500 rpm

All my reading seems to point to 6 branch making extra power higher up the rev range and lots of heat(I have a 4 branch in Spitty and lagged and it is still bloody hot!)

We are hoping to tour in this car in HOT counties so not sure I want the extra heat?

Plus we like climbing up mountains passes(in the car not that mad!)

I would like a bit of noise as the 6 cylinder sounds nice but refined!

So what are the collective thoughts/Experiance?

Roger

ps it also runs Megajolt  electronic ignition so can be set to rpm and Manifold pressure and does not wave about(rock steady)

When I had my vitesse I fitted a canleys mk2 system. The back box is pretty free flowing, and is only a little noisier than teh std type with the tiny tailpipe. So can recommend that. 

I had a semi sport on a spitfire, it was horrendous. But the one on our mk3 spit is OK. So you really need to hear them before deciding. 

I've had a a Bells semi sports system on my GT6 Mk3 for about 20 years.

At the front end, there's a 6-2-1 tubular manifold then in the centre, I've fitted the small silencer between the chassis rails that was specified for the Mk2 but deleted for the Mk3. At the back is a Bells semi sports silencer, with twin tailpipes exiting on the right, similar pattern to original but larger bore.

I can't comment on the impact of the manifold, save to say I'm not aware that it contributes much to under-bonnet heat. I can't say what effect it has on power output, though conventional wisdom says any benefits from the 6-2-1 come at high revs, whereas a 6-3-1 design is thought to be more effective in the mid-range.

I did experiment with silencers before arriving at my present setup. The full sports twin box is very noisy. The semi sports silencer is less noisy but in true Mk3 configuration without a centre silencer, there is a pronounced rasp when pressing on; I found this became irritating, so fitted the centre silencer listed for the Mk2. That has cured the rasp.

The sound is now louder than standard but not intrusive and not a problem on long journeys. It's probably best described as a 'purposeful' exhaust note, and to my ear make the most of the six cylinder music!

Nigel

Nigel

You've convinced me a centre cylindrical silencer is the way I'm going. The straight centre pipe is  pretty close to the prop, what silencer did you use? 

Iain 

PS 

I just reread it's the mk2 GT6, I'll have to measure up and see what fits on a mk2 vitesse. 

on the Vi6 1600 we had a phoenix 631 and 2" pipes the twin wheel barrows made a noise more a kin to a hair drier so refitted the single semi sports Herald/vit6 club silencer and sold the twins ,

this combination made a on song notes to die for crisp clean not too noisy 

the fit was simply the silencer input  stub fitted inside the 2"through pipe , but this was brilliant 

Pete

3 hours ago, Nigel Clark said:

the small silencer between the chassis rails that was specified for the Mk2 but deleted for the Mk3.

That's interesting. The Triumph parts books (and Canley excerpts) show that small silencer as a Mk3 fitment, but not present on the Mk2 standard exhaust. 

On my Mk3 I have the standard cast iron manifold connected to a Mk2 semi sports system which is straight through to the back box. I've never found it too loud and it has a nice resonance around 3000 rpm! 😀

Gully 

7 hours ago, Gully said:

That's interesting. The Triumph parts books (and Canley excerpts) show that small silencer as a Mk3 fitment, but not present on the Mk2 standard exhaust. 

On my Mk3 I have the standard cast iron manifold connected to a Mk2 semi sports system which is straight through to the back box. I've never found it too loud and it has a nice resonance around 3000 rpm! 😀

Gully 

The Bells catalogue at the club shop showed centre silencer on Mk2 GT6 but not Mk3. Perhaps it's wrong!

I like the sound of the semi sports silencer with the centre box. One man's loud rasp may be another man's nice resonance?!

Nigel

I tried all sorts of exhaust on my spitfire. A twin sports (I think Falcon) was incredibly loud. Wen yested at a couple of trackdays it was 98db @4K (bang on the limit)  but I got pulled and retested, still just OK. Scrutineer commented it was teh only car he could hear all the way round the track. 

A change to a single box, (a Chris Witor Saloon sports box) just made a bee-like noise and quite loud. Tried a couple of other boxes, before biting the bullet and fitting at 18" silencer (3 1/2" diameter) between the chassis rails, then under the boot a U shaped pair, one 16 and one 30" silencer 4" diameter. System bore is 2 1/4". This setup is sensibly quiet to be acceptable for long motorway trips, and is down to 88-90db when tested @4k with a mellow but purposeful tone.

However, I think the sound is partly down to pipe lengths and so on, exhaust design seems to be a black art.

30 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

at school we used to pack a load of paper in the   drain pipes and set fire with a magnifyer glass

Sunny days were always dangerous in my school, by the end of summer we all had burn holes in our trousers and pock marks on our skin from 'friends' creaping up with a magnifying glass. Happy days!