Door card removal

RAW1969

Hello there!

I'm after a little more advice from those in the know please and hoping that this is a simple one compared to previous problems shared.

I've quite recently bought a Vitesse Mk1 CV & I'm looking at fitting a new door check strap. I can see I need to get the door card off. Simple question - how to I get the internal door handle and window handle off.  Should I just pull until I can see the securing pin and then knock it out? (basing this on having looked at the exploded view in Rimmers parts catalogue). Is there more to it though?

Also whilst on door cards  - mine are looking their age & aren't well fitted. I've seen a seller on Ebay (paris classics) selling replacements for £69. Does anyone have any experience of this product? 

Thank you

Richard

It's PUSH against the card to expose the hub of the handles, before you can push out the pins.

It's VERY easy to lose them, which is why I say 'push'.  Knock it out and it'll go anywhere!

Can't tell you about the cards.   Got rid of mine ages ago, in favour of alloy panels.

John

Hi Richard

I don't have any tips for you but am interested to know how fitting the door check straps goes as I ought (should) fit some to my 13/60 as there aren't any :rolleyes:.

I do agree that the handle pins are a b*g**r :wacko:

Thanks again for the tips.

Chris - I'll let you know how I get on - but as with every job on the car the project timescale is prone to drift. Lack of time/ parts (& energy). It was only after I'd bought the replacement check strap that I started to look at dismantling to fit it. At this point I took the plastic cover off the bracket on the A post - to find there was no bracket. Job no.1 will be fitting a replacement bracket to connect the strap to once it's in place behind the door card.

The self fabricated hardboard door card option sounds great. The devil's in the detail - but from memory the vinyl isn't bad. 47 years old - & just a bit saggy and out of shape. You can make up your own gags about that!

Richard

If the vinyl covering of the cards is  ok  you can use the old hardboard as a template for new card.I used twin wall acrylic sheet which is abut the same thickness as the  hardboard.(B&Q cost about £6 , I think -for both doors)

Cutting the holes needs some patience and care. Vinyl glued on with Evostik

.Hidden from view,Even if it does get wet it won't matter.