Early and later Mk3 Spitfire screen frame.

SpitfireGeorge

Hi Guys,

Managed to make myself a bit of a problem. I have a '67 Mk3 Spitfire which is currently being renovated. Due to the original windscreen frame being completely rotten I managed to get another, more decent one, from Ebay. The problem I have is it has the later soft top fastening method with levers, like a Mk4, whilst my soft top has the original pull down and over fasteners. I can either modify the window frame to take my current fittings or can my hood frame be modified to take the later style ones? 

Anybody got any ideas which would be easier?

Cheers,

I have a pristine Spit 4 (no side drip rail) bare windscreen frame, but it doesn't show any markings for the pull down clamps. If you fit the new frame and position the clamps unlocked you should be able to mark the reqd holes and use Steel RivNuts of the appropriate dia to anchor the clamp to the frame.

That's what I did when converting my Mk2 Vitesse Saloon to a proper Convertible

10 hours ago, SpitfireGeorge said:

Hi Guys,

Managed to make myself a bit of a problem. I have a '67 Mk3 Spitfire which is currently being renovated. Due to the original windscreen frame being completely rotten I managed to get another, more decent one, from Ebay. The problem I have is it has the later soft top fastening method with levers, like a Mk4, whilst my soft top has the original pull down and over fasteners. I can either modify the window frame to take my current fittings or can my hood frame be modified to take the later style ones? 

Anybody got any ideas which would be easier?

Cheers,

A local had that issue a few years ago. He cut the fittings from the old frame and welded them in. I don't think there is any other way. Unless you swap hood frame (it may be possible to change to the clips? not really thought about that)

It's certainly possible to swap the header rail on the hood for the later type but it's not an easy job. I would have thought, as scrapman said, that the fixings for the earlier hooks would still be there, but if Clive thinks not then maybe they were deleted. It's a while since I had the covering off mine.

25 minutes ago, NonMember said:

It's certainly possible to swap the header rail on the hood for the later type but it's not an easy job. I would have thought, as scrapman said, that the fixings for the earlier hooks would still be there, but if Clive thinks not then maybe they were deleted. It's a while since I had the covering off mine.

Oops, I read it as the OP has the late type twisty levers but the earlier screen frame. But re-reading it an a cuppa later it seems it is the twisty handle screen frame but clippy hoodframe.  I am just confused. Its my age.

3 hours ago, DanMi said:

might be easier to see if you can obtain a later hood frame from a breaker such as spitbitz or spitfire graveyard

I actually have a spare late type hoodframe. Took me ages to find one (my mk3 came with just a hard top) but almost immediately I acquired a 2nd one. As you do. Seems like Triumph spares are like buses.