Distributor advance springs

Jeffds1360

Moss sell (or used to) a set of 5 springs. You use then to set the advance curve, and hopefully that takes into consideration any wear.

"mapping" a distributor is not too bad, I use a glamorous assistant and a strobe. The curve for the engines is usually in the WSM. 

the spec numbers are or should be stamped into the main dizzy base body casting 

most GT6 in the wsm are  all seeming Delco D  200/ 202/D204  depends on eng numbers

one ref to Lucas  a 22D6  spec number  41168  (9.5:1 CR )

the numbers stamped in the vac unit are eg 4-11-7   being when vacuum starts  the max vac  and the max deg advance produced 

Cheers Pete, I'll sort that when I refurbish it. It is off now and is a 41127 with an E after and 44 70 below.

The vacuum unit is fur-barred, ( my what a tiny cir-clip !!!) I assume the rod and spring are meant to move in unison in and out??? mine do not move at all ! How much force should I apply ? and do I push in or out and how much play should they have?

I need to know the spring sizes too as mine are too warped to measure !

Do you mean the threaded rod with the little circlip on the end Jeff? Thats fixed into the body of the vac advance unit and its to allow you to wind the whole thing backwards and forwards so rotating the dizzy backplate to change the spark timing (its a fine method of doing this rather than undoing and turning the whole dizzy body). The long spring is attached to the diaphragm so its this that is moved back and forward by vacuum - you should be able to push it in with light pressure and feel the resistance of the diaphragm and then it returns. The free to download workshop manual has good exploded diagrams and explanations of the distributor...  

No sorry my original post wasnt very clear, Ive downloaded a manual from the site Pete indicated and its a copy of the official Triumph workshop manual. 'Mine' is for a Vitesse/GT6, it covers some components which are common to other models but theres also specific WS manuals on there for them as well.

With your vac advance I would expect more movement of the spring/diaphragm and I take it sucking on its inlet pipe still doesnt produce any? You can try spraying oil in around the spring to free off the mechanism but if this doesnt work it looks like its scrap...

Good read! All I have to do is get my calipers out and measure the pin distances, then I can work out which length and strength springs to get.

Pleased I have that 45D coming!!!

I've just had my jab, in and out in 15 mins + 15 (5!) 

Taking wife up in an hour, as it happens, there were many cancellations and could have come in with me !! :(

give the dizzy doc the 25d4  41172   and he can give you all the right parts to match that spec.

the 44 70 is build date   ie   week 44 1970

the circlip on the threaded end is only to stop you winding it completely off    so it  doesnt matter  much

i have many dizzy curve data sheets and lucas spec number breakdown  but all are 197 at 41176 on and cant get2 for you 

there will be a strong and a weaker spring   measuring the posts wont make it right you might as well tie it up with some wire 

get the right parts or just fit your new unit 

retime after fitting 

Pete

take care with any dizzy data most advance testing is done decelerating 

which gives very different results to accelerating

so check the small print 

pretty much all the test data in triumph WSM is like that  and in warranty we always tested  throttling back not building up the revs 

and all the test curves in my Lucas data manual are decelerating    if thats a good clue 

Pete