Contact breaker plates (13/60)

Jeffds1360

Well I've done it again and cocked up a simple job :(

vacuum advance was not working so I stripped off points and condenser, uncooked spring and tried to lift the base plate. What a struggle. Twisted this that way and eventually a 'crack' and the front edge lifted, then with more jiggling I got the back edge up. Found that the earth wire had been jammed between the plates and had now snapped. Fixed that and put it back together. I had now realised the plate only lifts at one position as the earth lead fitting has a pin below and the bottom plate has a slot for it. Pictures below. There is also a lip below the vac. spring pin which lips under too. Also a brass 's' plate (over my thumb nail) which does I do not know what?? AND a 'foot' like bearing protrusion below the base plate which, if you rotate too far makes the base plate drop and twist!

So, I started it up, it went, gave a bit rev and...horrible scratch/scrape from dizzy. Oh hell what now I said.

Base plate off again and then the bearing plate....Hell !! Both advance springs had come off and chewed to bits. How the blazes did they get unhooked.....

Now I need springs but no idea which ones??? Cannot find the reference code anywhere..HELP

20210206_113723.jpg

20210206_105856.jpg

20210206_105724.jpg

20210206_105449.jpg

Thanks again Colin. yes, reading up on them suggests the 45 is later and 'an improved model' main difference seems to be no thumb wheel adjuster and side entry. Phew. Mind it does seem cheap ???

Still fancy getting new springs for the 25 and refurbishing it though. I wonder which model it is.

I'll probably find the number when I take it out :)

It will do the job as Colin say's Jeff, i just went for the 25D as it was the same as yours. You ended up ordering the 45 anyway :) Rebuild the old one at your leisure Jeff when you get bored :)  I know others that have used the seller and have had no problems, but as you say it's cheap...

Tony. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just to report in that the 45D is running fine and I may as well repair the 25. 

I'm wondering what that brass 'S' spring below the vac spring pin is meant to do/connect to?? The new base plates advertised do not seem to have it???

I believe it was this that mullered my advance springs after I had removed and reinstalled it :(

Any one else got a brass plate spring like it, as shown in photo above?

That explains the difficulty I had removing and refitting it then.

Does that mean mine is an 'original' set up and that the method of damping and continuity on the modern stuff has changed? I see no sign of it on the pictures in the adverts (or even in the wsm or Haynes or anywhere!)