The best rotors available?

avivalasvegas

Greetings! 

After driving a few hundred miles following its return from Moordale motors, my GT6 clear has a warped rotor. Time to get the best possible replacement - recommendations that surpass the standard club shop options anyone? 

Also, while the rotor is off the car, I plan on replacing the front shock absorbers. I'm told Koni yields the most comfortable ride?

Thanks in advance! 

Not sure which dizzy your car uses, but if it is Lucas then the Distributor Doctor is the best route.

If it is Delco than you are out of luck - albeit the DD is now making the correct condensers for the Delco dizzy, but with regret not rotors.

I'm assuming it's the brake discs unless we're talking about the alternator windings... if I'm right, this is one of my fav online sellers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ONE-PAIR-OF-BRAND-NEW-TRIUMPH-VITESSE-2-LITRE-GT6-BRAKE-DISCS-213227/370261188384?fits=Model%3AGT6&hash=item5635495f20:g:wbMAAOSwT5tWJMPG

Pretty sure we are talking drake discs.

You could buy expensive drilled, grooved or whatever discs, but they don't achieve much, if anything.

I would be buying something that is a brand I recognise. I have seen EBC, but not mintex or anything else I know. Saying that, brake discs are usually OK. Not heard anything bad about the usual suppliers.

I know cast iron (the most likely material for these discs) can deform some time after casting and for that reason its recommended that castings are left a while before machining. It might not have been done in this case and I would go back to the supplier/installer to ask them to rectify the problem...  

Yes, brake discs aka rotors. Sorry for the confusion - it's a remnant term from my 20s spent in America. With other cars, I've had great success purchased from known brands like Brembo etc. and have always picked coated discs over any of the drilled/ slotted stuff, especially when the disc is invisible. 

These EBC discs look well made but are limited to models Girling/TRW Front Calipers. I suppose I'll need to determine which Calipers my 69 GT6 has?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-Replacement-Front-Solid-Brake-Discs-for-Triumph-GT6-2-0-66-71/312053658308?epid=248980256&hash=item48a7d8f2c4:g:jDIAAOSwz7Naawjd

surely if Moordale motors fitted them you should speak to them as they should stand by the parts they fit and the checks they make in fitting them. I wouldn't be surprised if all suppliers are ultimately getting them from the same manufacturer.

I would still talk to them as if working on the brakes they should have checked. I would not be happy if finding brake problems weeks after having them fixed. I would never replace pads without disk as disks generally don't last 2 sets of pads. Anyway it's a pretty simple job and as I said they probably all come from the same factory unless you are going for extremely expensive race ones. They are after all pretty basic on these cars.

But as Pete said do make sure the hub faces are clean and not distorted.

2 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

Yes, brake discs aka rotors. Sorry for the confusion - it's a remnant term from my 20s spent in America. With other cars, I've had great success purchased from known brands like Brembo etc. and have always picked coated discs over any of the drilled/ slotted stuff, especially when the disc is invisible. 

These EBC discs look well made but are limited to models Girling/TRW Front Calipers. I suppose I'll need to determine which Calipers my 69 GT6 has?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-Replacement-Front-Solid-Brake-Discs-for-Triumph-GT6-2-0-66-71/312053658308?epid=248980256&hash=item48a7d8f2c4:g:jDIAAOSwz7Naawjd

They all had girling calipers, and although 3 variants, they are all essentially identical. So they will be correct. (OK, should be!)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, johny said:

It does seem a bit strange that presumably the brakes were ok and then when coming back from a workshop theres a problem. Unless youve been doing some heavy braking a existing disc that suddenly warps would be surprising..

It wasn’t Dale’s fault at all. The car had one seized caliper and one seized cylinder. It was a miracle it stopped at all. 

When the caliper was unseized, the rotor was mistakenly preserved. That will be rectified next along with the front shock absorbers. Any thoughts on the Koni?

Koni are hands down the best shocks available. Only downsides are (1) not height adjustable and (2) a bit of a faff to adjust. But mine are now 25 years old, been on 2 cars and still have not needed to adjust them once set. And mine have done a lot of miles now. 

Bastuck WERE the cheapest supplier, but that may have changed with Brexit

It is very unusual for a brake disc to actually warp.

The overwhelming majority of reported warped discs are actually caused by heat soak changing the crystalline structure of the area of the (hot) disk where the brake is kept applied when the vehicle is stopped.

It is something that race drivers are well aware of and need to be careful to avoid - after heavy braking to a stop (when the disc gets very hot), do not keep the brakes applied as the area clamped by the pads will undergo a crystalline change, which will then result in the symptom that is usually misinterpreted as warped discs.

The fix is still the same - new disks are needed.

12 hours ago, DanMi said:

I would never replace pads without disk as disks generally don't last 2 sets of pads

I can't say I've found that on the Triumphs. Perhaps on the modern, where the pads are made of carborundum and the discs of chocolate, but with good quality pads and discs on older cars I would expect the discs to last a good long time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

It wasn’t Dale’s fault at all. The car had one seized caliper and one seized cylinder. It was a miracle it stopped at all. 

I thought it had a full MOT? The system is very tight over here, it wouldn't have got through with anything less than fully working brakes.

For normal road use go for standard discs, which you'll find at a variety of prices, and standard pads work well enough for me.