New distributor orientation?

Jeffds1360

I'm sure it is due to the Coriolis effect........... I mean when leaning over from O/S and the engine rotates clockwise and the distributor cam goes anticlockwise and the water spins one way then the other after you pass the equator so the Australians are confused  how to empty a bottle in record time that my head was spinning and I thought the cam lobe was on the shut not the open so I believe the Oxford jab contains alcohol as do cans of John Smiths which are £8 for ten at Morrison's  but my off licence are 18 for 17.99 so more expensive but closer AND is it essential and an excuse for a drive at a fiver+ a gallon so my mother used to drive around pricing goods and then go back and buy the cheapest (not beer) and my dad footed the petrol bill so who was not daft then? Think I take after my dad! In 1956 he converted a left hand drive car to right and I wielded the spanners at the age of 5 and that is where I went wrong.

Your a great bunch and somehow I will try to repay you all xx

I have this adversity to modern garages and the old times have nearly all passed on :(

I am in the AA but it's a bugger pushing it half smile from home so they can fix it and or tow me back.

My fingers are aching but tomorrow is a fine tune up and a run out on the ice. I'll be able to do 4000 revs and work under the bonnet. Like a free rolling road!

I'm rambling... its those damn Oxford anti bodies... time for bed. Said Zeberdy 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Is a fuel pump tick tick tick bad enough to warrant repair/replace??

No, some of them are just a bit noisy. As long as it works, leave it.

43 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Is that bad?

A Spitfire MkIV engine is very similar to the last of the 13/60 (GK) engines. It's got the bigger bearings so it doesn't rev as sweetly as the earlier FD (or GE). It probably has a warmer cam than the GK, too. The HE suffix means it's an engine (duh!) with "high" compression, i.e. UK market, for four star fuel, rather than a low octane market. So not bad, no.

Well I managed to get a run out yesterday to collect my new (oversize, possibly unsafe 《some think》) tyres and after setting every thing to 'factory specs '. She was as flat as a fart!

I've reset the timing now to best tickover and she runs sweet.

After chewing off the end of my tachoscope on the fan blade (and a bit of my knuckle) it seems to tickover at about 20 degrees btc???? and the mark disappears off the end of the scale when revved... is this normal? 

Hopefully just wear and tear :(

if the marks are somewhere near accurate for TDC setting by ear at 20deg probably would need backing off a bit more

when setting by ear you dont want best  but best with a bit of retard from best 

if its not pinking under load , well its sort of ok;

on the tachostrobe if you rev to 3000 that adds around 25deg so a static of 20 plus the 25 is off the scale add the vac to this and its disappeared.

as a  general figure 30/32deg at 3000 rpm vac off is about normal

pete