Seat belts

Tanky

Which car?

Simple on at least later Spitfire's and I'd guess GT6s as the 'upper' mounting should be there on the rear wheel arch, even if the hole hasn't been cut through the piece of vinyl that covers it.  If again a Spitfire/GT6 but missing the hole/re-enforcement plate/captive nut on the outside of the wheel arch they aren't expensive and easy to get hold of.

Or are you looking to replace lap belts with new lap belts?  In that case they normally use the same mountings, just the 2 in the floor of the car - no shoulder belt to no need for the rear wheel arch attachment.

Charlie has a Spitfire I think?

I got a inertia reel seat belt kit from the club shop which included very good instructions. I was unable to use the old floor mounting bracket used by the original static belts, the inertia reel just won't fit there. However the kit includes a mounting plate which enables the inertia reel to bolt low down on the wheel arch. The upper mounting point on top of the wheel arch allows the belt to sit correctly over your shoulder. An easy job.

Doug

Hi guys, 

Sorry, to be clear. I have a 1976 1500 Spit. The current seatbelts are 3 point type and I want to replace them with lap belts as the current ones I have in place  strangle me! I am also changing the interior to Tan, so black belts won't match. Is it just a case of drilling a hole in an appropriate place, reinforcing with a plate underneath and bolting through? Does anyone know when I replace them will the seatbelt warning light still work? and lastly, where can I get Tan coloured belts?

Cheers all, hoping to see you all in the summer at a meet!

Charlie

most laps would just use the B post /floor and tunnel fixings for a lap 

if the strangle is coming from inertia reel ratcheting up tight you may benefit from a lap diagonal  static set 

i afraid the choppy ride of our old cars can make them continually tightening  up  i found this on my vitesse but sold her before swapping back to statics

a lap belt does leave you very venerable to physical impact in a crash 

its not a good move if you can find another way 

assuming you have inertia  there are clamps made to lock the belt to stop excess tightening 

Pete

I knew I could rely on you guys.... It makes more sense to have static 3 pointers which I hadn't thought of.......trust me, I won't be going fast enough to injure myself in my Spit. I'm into it for FAR more ££££££'s than it's worth or ever will be!

Cheers all, have a good one.

Charlie

dont forget when theres a shunt it probably wont be your fault its the other idiot you need belts for 

some just dont care about the troubles and strife and £££s you put into the car as they  

dont give a Sh1t  about anyone 

get a 3 point static and a cheap dash cam .

club shop static belts  £35 PN300/15  but are black 

belt constrains to lock reel belt 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Car-Seat-Belt-Clip-Comfort-Strap-Safety-Adjusters-Support-Aid-Lock-Clips/172271506987?epid=1864752248&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item281c2e962b:g:50wAAOSwoRBaX4ww&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkSG%2BOFgrj2Yvbvmrj2TAdMz1FsXlADjSyiviJyJ1iCmd4lRfP8g%2Fk2qXfqDmx%2FVwpNOZqMjqW1ipcH8eBqy7Y5E%2BdQm3%2Bz0A0dIjsdJw1ZYkQbEEYKRWuwBVfeBBcCYIleLO6u6AscxuY1LlZhgvu9YeBF9nBgR25zdz30xESL%2BeMd3SelDtN66m8VqwNgTXhW3qz7HxigG9BcF1WoLs7hjKTe9dYTE3pRx31Lz1bXAHOvBwEYHpAsnpctm8qktu1%2Fs2jBrlsMiL4%2BA3lenlboAvd18PMZ4zpYPQlx2tSWFHnTim%2FcmiM7%2FzcnXUoXRtl7t9xkD%2Ff%2FWdT0XzLI%2Bb%2BNLldkSkzcC5DZbLi%2FeIWRpYOfUSgICvP2riQX3jGu0G6ikkiDuca9wmdErxUtvnqicPRCbFXJb7zkw%2BQU%2Bko10Q959STamymV52aUDR9n1Ly%2BdmHgmEErNClcnASzhjBVkRg6Uhc8vuA2V684w2RdXVzi1ks03D5t1%2FMqN%2BAa%2BRCsgMs%2BT2oHHm9vpRSGOnx5gFJrt1FFnlUBrP41K7KA4FSeExiNPzc9wBabDq%2BxFOnkrcSHmOKu%2FC3zzryBLcYeDRMPqsdCGCHj68pPu3w3vQV6SbcVxiuekDP9oJYuoCMOID4wDlVaXWHZXa9U%2FNvwrY5ICiOrqHNWQTyfJaJe%2BuW7aW7wZaTzuTlcq6TTDT8vMTeeAAjq5iE9IbDSIGAJyHAI15zg5wMfwjTQuCaEdA93ncj6FyLH4lB%2FlEfru4%2F2smmpsUfPTi9mI%2BKBpxBzfkatcZSGrak%2BA2ODRhlRn0%3D|cksum%3A172271506987efdf0b921ae14746937b6d8e00c5031c|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

Pete

8 hours ago, johny said:

It would be illegal wouldnt it? Also although an MOT isnt necessary in the event of an accident it might affect how the insurance deals with the claim....

That's an interesting question - if a car has seatbelts fitted, they must work; if it's never had them, it doesn't need them. If it's originally got three-point belts, does it require the same; okay so rally-types may fit a full harness / four-point / six point or whatever which can be argued as improved, but what about going back a step and fitting two point lap belts?