State of my fingers.

Jeffds1360

18 minutes ago, trigolf said:

I worked with a bloke in the RAF who lost two adjacent fingers from the knuckle, at school playing 'dare' with the guillotine in the metalwork shop with a mate. The dare was who could leave their fingers in it longest, before the other guy pulled the handle...Ahem !

That's reminded me of an old story my Grandfather told, when he worked in the linen factory in the 1910s and 20s; they had a lot of belt-driven machinery with huge, exposed gear wheels, and one of his co-workers used to put a finger into the teeth of one of the larger wheels while intoning: "Billy would you bite? Billy would you bite?" before pulling the finger out at the last minute before the teeth meshed. One day he left it too late and had what we would now call an industrial accident.

The foreman asked what had happened and got the reply: "Billy bit."

Anyone actally old enough to remember belt driven overhead shaft drive machines will know that they had Metal clips joining the belt ends together. Getting one`s overall sleeve caught by the clip you where fortunate only to lose the  sleeve, and not an acre of skin or a limb. Changing from the fast to loose pullys, or changing gear on an old belt driven lathe, was an aquired art form.

Pete

Thanks Tony. I've put it in my watch list. I actually am hoping not to have to do any more mechanical repairs :)

(Fat chance!)

She's sweet now.......

gawd... it's a girl!! 

I was still pondering its sex

Looks like Plum is a girl then :( I'll have to be more gentle with her.

Hope all went well and keep safe.

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Anyone actally old enough to remember belt driven overhead shaft drive machines will know that they had Metal clips joining the belt ends together. Getting one`s overall sleeve caught by the clip you where fortunate only to lose the  sleeve, and not an acre of skin or a limb. Changing from the fast to loose pullys, or changing gear on an old belt driven lathe, was an aquired art form.

Pete

Not one you should be able to get your fingers caught in but   is a flat belt pulley system with a “fast” and “loose” pulleys  that you refer to but it is the  “clutch” of a car I get to drive occasionally. 

a “New Orleans” - It was made in 1900 when much of industry would be using such a system. 

The idling or loose pulley is the right hand one in the picture.The belt is slid across onto the drive  or “fast” pulley    by operating a right hand foot pedal and off you go in one of the two gears.

There is a band brake on the end of the shaft which works fairly well operated by the left hand foot pedal  - but has no action at all in neutral and the wheel brakes ( operated by a hand lever ) don’t work if the vehicle goes backwards..There is a metal “sprag” which is a spike to be lowered and stuck in the road if all else fails but stalling on a hill  and restarting is best avoided by the faint hearted...

5C2C162C-FE2F-41D1-BEBF-B11F7B1776F9.jpeg

E4FDBEAB-3E00-457D-AF09-775CE0BE654A.jpeg

Remember my grandad telling me about the guy who lived downstairs, who used to work on a Spindle Moulder.

Every few months he would have 1 finger less, until he got down to a couple when he made moved onto a different bit of machinery.

Apparently the Spindle Moulder got through a lot of operators.

Anyway, these are the products we can get out of stores at work.

I have a bottle of the "lotion" and it is really good stuff. Some of the guys get really cracked hands from the PPE they have to use.

https://stoko.debgroup.com/uk

The DEB group have been going a long time (dont they make swarfega)  But Rozalex i the best protector and having had allergic dermatitis that was the only product that enabled me to carry on my business. I just couldn't get used to gloves.

Tony.

Not being a guitar god like Doug, my fingers also get cracked skin & I've tried all the usual suspects of skin cream - Neutrogena, E45, Norwegian Formula, and remember there was a fad of udder cream a few years ago which everyone said was the bee's ... It wasn't.

Atrixo make the one I use. Not the "M'ladies boudoir" one in the light green tub, but the ordinary "intensive protection" stuff in the mid-green tub. The trick is, after rubbing it into your finger tips, briefly run cold water over them - just a few seconds - and dry with a towel. This takes away the slippy greasiness but leaves your skin protected with what seems like a slight waxy layer. I imagine this is what keeps the natural oils & moisture in and also stops the roughness from snagging on things like fabrics.

Cheers, Richard

16 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

trouble with doug his guitar is in tune but his pinkies  ...are not 

Yup, rheumatic fingers, but guitar playing is supposed to be good for them. And artichokes, I have a soup recipe. Doubles as hand cream? :)

soup2.PNG.be2fe2ca0201fc3d8304e12c78430785.PNG

Doug

58 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yup, rheumatic fingers, but guitar playing is supposed to be good for them. And artichokes, I have a soup recipe. Doubles as hand cream? :)

soup2.PNG.be2fe2ca0201fc3d8304e12c78430785.PNG

Doug

Trust Doug to have a finger in both in both pies 🥧

On 12/02/2021 at 15:14, 68vitesse said:

Death solves all complaints but the cure is worse than the disease.

Trying to persuade myself to go and do somthing but its -1.2C outside with wind chill -5.4C.

Regards

Paul.

Actually not true. Death cures all except rigor mortis - and that cures itself.

My Grandad had a missing finger - the story of the reason for its loss, goes along the lines of when he was an inspector of some sort (Factory?) running his finger over some machine sliced it off. No idea if its true or not, but was the one always told in one form or another.

2 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Also saw them in 2019 and still as good as they ever were 45 years ago; quality lasts.

Dick

A completely flawless, faultless concert, a sit-down in a small venue of around 100 in the audience. I wish I had spent more time talking to them both before and after.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or is the constant use of sanitiser splitting anyone elses fingernails? I started using nitrile gloves when shopping and using the trolly sanitiser spray on them. I get strange looks at the checkouts..... but nothing unusual about that.