Correct fan for GT6 Mk3

Roger K

37 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

think the rounded ends has more blades  similar to whats used on later cars and early 2000 saloon  canley parts list shows both quite clearly 

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-gt6-mkiii&diagram=triumph-gt6-mkiii-fan 

Pete

Good find Pete, but I think the one with more blades is the viscous type, at the top of Canley's pic.  My car is a late MkIII and has the one on the left, 311868.  The only one I can find for sale is the earlier type, shown on the right, 308353, which is marked as USA and Sweden only.  The round-blade looks like 7 blades, the square one has 8.

Roger

I did a bit of research on this a few years back and concluded the round tipped Mk3 fan was NLA.

I'm not sure why Triumph changed from the square to the round flavour, but I surmise that it might be more efficient and therefore less power hungry.

If yours is damaged your best bet is probably a good used one.

I've gone electric but still have my original yellow square job available to fit should I so decide.

Ian F

Richard  on  that  boss   theres no space for/ doesnt have the rubber damping grommets/bushes   looks a direct 'hard; fit  it

I thought unusual for a 6 pot   dont know ??

bush kits  are listed for one of the 3 fans   all a bit mix and match on TR6 by the look of it 

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID600025

Pete

I doubt it would make much difference.  I don't think it would be particularly easy to fit a viscous coupled fan to a fixed water pump.  I'm pretty sure GT6s never had the viscous coupling.

The usual reason for straight edges or round is as an attempt to reduce noise.

13 minutes ago, Roger K said:

I doubt it would make much difference.  I don't think it would be particularly easy to fit a viscous coupled fan to a fixed water pump.  I'm pretty sure GT6s never had the viscous coupling.

They didn't, but what I meant was to attach the fan alone to a GT6 pump with a fabricated mounting, not the whole viscous setup.

The original GT6 fan was a 6-bladed metal construction that would definitely chew fingers off, so the plastic version on later models is an improvement on that. I think there's a cooling limit, so more blades don't mean more cooling, just - possibly - more air forced through at lower revs. My Herald has a twin-blade fan on a wide radiator, but later cars had the four-bladed fan on a narrow radiator, which seemed to do the job just as well. Best option is to keep the radiator clean and running well, maybe even uprate the original core to a modern version, then the number of fan blades isn't really as critical.

It seems odd to me that there's no shrouding as such - unless I'm missing a lot of parts!  Moderns, and aftermarket kits, have close-fitting shrouds around the fan blades themselves which force all air coming through the rad to go into the fan, which improves efficiency no end.  I've got the cardboard 'funnel' in front, which probably helps a bit...

20 minutes ago, Roger K said:

The usual reason for straight edges or round is as an attempt to reduce noise.

Yes indeed.

Curved fan edges are quieter than straight edge BUT, straight edge fan blades are able to move a greater volume of air as a result on the design.

44 minutes ago, Roger K said:

I've got the cardboard 'funnel' in front, which probably helps a bit...

I f your funnel is anything like mine was it's sagging in the middle? Replacing it with the metal version made a considerable difference in cooling, that and dropping the number plate to avoid blocking the grill inlet.

Doug